quovadis12345's profile

Contributor

• 

60 Messages

Monday, July 26th, 2021 11:19 PM

Closed

Can i use a soft phone on my PC ?

I would like to get comcast voice. We all agree this is a voip service.

Do i need a physical phone on my desk? Or can I use comcast voice with a soft phone on my pc? 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

Their phone service is VOIP between the Internet/Wifi/Voice gateway device in your home and Comcast, but the phone jacks on that device provide a POTS (analog "Plain Old Telephone Service") interface to the telephone(s) in your home. They don't allow customer IP phones to access their home phone system directly, so you need a phone or some hardware/software combination that emulates a phone.

Contributor

• 

60 Messages

3 years ago

This does not answer my question.

I am not taking about phone jacks and POTS. I would use Spectrum if I wanted copper, with a traditional desk top phone. I am asking if the comcast voice modem can be used along with a PC and SOFT phone.

I don't want an office phone on my desk.

thanks

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

Sorry to disappoint, but I don't know how else I can say it. The only interface Comcast offers to its home phone service is POTS using RJ-11 jacks and plugs. If you want a soft phone you'll need to subscribe to a service that supports it. Comcast's service does not.

Contributor

• 

60 Messages

3 years ago

So you are saying that VOIP phones do not work with comcast voice?

It's traditional office phones only?? I thought VOIP phones have ethernet ports not the old style jacks?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here