U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Friday, March 19th, 2021 9:48 PM

Closed

xfinity phone call scam from local number

Just received a phone call scam where they said they were xfinity comcast and wanted to update our modem and discount our bill.  Oh, all we had to do after the fake update to get our discounted $40 dollars off each month was send them $249. 

Accepted Solution

Administrator

• 

653 Messages

3 years ago

Hey there! Thanks for posting. Spoofing and spam calls are at an all-time high, which is why we've made several tools available to Xfinity customers with voice services who may be affected; Common Phone Scams and How to Protect Yourself

We also have an alerts page available with current reports and areas for customers to report additional instances to us; Alerts

Xfinity will never demand payment up front for services in lump sums in order to receive a promotional rate. 

(edited)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

I get calls all the time from "Comcast Xfinity" whereby if I tell them "if I remember what I paid last month for my Comcast service, they can cut my bill by 40%".  They want to know how much your bill is so they can "calculate" what your discount will be but I can only get the discount if I prepay 2-3 months of my bill to them/"Comcast Xfinity".  They're not too smart so I like when they call.  I either try to get them fired and/or go lay down in the street. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just received this call , they said they were calling from xfinity directly. Wanted me to allow update because my equipment was expired

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Hello, @user_5190a2, thank you for reaching out to our forum for help with your suspicious call concern. To be honest, I would be doing the same thing as you. Especially these days, these scammers are really testing people these days lol. I can look into your account and verify if the call was legit or not. In order to get started can you please send me a private message to Xfinity Support with your full name and full address by clicking the chat icon in the top right?

You can also report a complaint about a phone scam by using this site: https://comca.st/3wfYOwe

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_5190a2   I also received a call from an Indian accent named Michael WIlliams ID# 8056 who wanted to send me new tv cable boxes.  He wanted my credit card number so they could charge a "security fee" of $199.49", which would be refunded in 6 months.  Hew was very good and answered lots of my questions.  My credit card rejected the charge and notified me that it was charged as consulting fees from Guaranteed Bid.  I called Xfinity for confirmation about the new cable boxes and they confirmed this was not from their customer service dept.  Had to cancel my credit card...damn !

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@user_5190a2 I am receiving multiple calls a week from a local Arkansas Number stating that they are needing to update my modem because it is not receiving the automatic updates. I told them to call me back when the technician is here. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I received 2 calls today on Caller ID as Comcast from number [Edited: "Personal Information"]. Is this a scam using Comcast fake number. I don't pick up and there is no voicemail from that number. The first time they called It showed up as verified? (V) in caller ID and second time while I was home the (V) did not appear by the same [Edited: "Personal Information"]. So just wanting to confirm if this is a fake scammer trying to Identify itself from Comcast. I won't pick up if home.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @clm1214! Thank you for reaching out to our forums community, it’s great we can connect this way! Spoofing and spam calls are at an all-time high, which is why we've made several tools available to Xfinity customers with voice services who may be affected; https://comca.st/392gxOu

We also have an alerts page available with current reports and areas for customers to report additional instances to us; https://comca.st/3eYTp7a

Xfinity will never demand payment upfront for services in lump sums in order to receive a promotional rate. To help you identify a potentially fraudulent call, we’ve enhanced our Caller ID feature. Now, you’ll see the word “Verified” (or the letter “V”) appear any time the caller’s telephone provider has confirmed that the call is coming from a legitimate telephone number. This does not mean that all calls without a verification symbol are scam calls. We can only verify a call if the caller is using a network that has the same capabilities as the Xfinity Voice network. Comcast is not responsible for the content of the call, only verifying the caller ID.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

@ComcastThomasF  -- The Verified doesn't work any more.  The other day, I received a phone call that was obviously spoofed with a [V] in front of it.  I think they call it neighborhood spoofing, where the area code and first 3 numbers of the phone number are the same as mine.  It was someone with an Indian accent telling me they were from Microsoft, and offered to fix my PC.  I don't blame Xfinity -- I blame the FCC for coming up with such a dumb system.

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

@littlepeaks, I am so sorry that this is a hassle for you! If you do have any more questions about your services, we are happy to help you if you want to reach out to us in a direct message! 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

Thanks Joseph B.  Actually, I am enrolled in Nomorobo, and report these types of calls to Nomorobo.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I had one today claiming to be from Comcast, using "Comcast" as the caller id, who wanted security information to verify my account.  I refused so they offered to send me a code to my email, which I then read back to them and which should have been sufficient to identify me as the account holder, but then they insisted it wasn't and started asking for account information to verify my account.

Problem Solver

• 

874 Messages

Hi @user_d3d28a , thank you for reaching out to our team over Xfinity Forums. Welcome to the community! I understand scam calls have been on the rise. I personally find them a major annoyance as well as frustrating. I would like to investigate this call little more. We do have a process of authentication that includes sending a code to the email or phone on file. During this process we will also confirm full name, name of account holder, and address. This is entirely normal. Of course, we want to make sure all customers feel secure. 

Can you send us a private message with your full name, name of account holder (if different), and service address? To send a private message, please click the chat icon next to the bell in the upper right corner. Click the “notepad and pen” button. Send the full message to our shared support handle “Xfinity Support”. We look forward to hearing from you!  

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Just received a phone call from a local number saying that they could discount my bill 50% if I sent them $260 on an Apple card and give me a phone number to call which was in a 1 8 8 8 7 0 9 1 2 0 1

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Just received a call from [Edited: "Personal Information"]. Stated it was Comcast and they need to update my modem.  From what I could interpret,  they were either trying to send me a new modem but couldn't for security reasons, or update remotely, therefore I needed to log into all my services so they could 'restore' them.  Well, my phone,  internet,  and TV all are working.  Told them I'd call Comcast myself and see what they needed.  

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@seashells48 I've had the exact same call at least 3 times over the last 2-3 mos.  This last time I did exactly what you did, said "I'll perform the update myself through the app later."  Of course no update is needed.  I wasn't sure if they were trying to mirror my IP address or what, she wanted me to "log onto your computer and connect to the internet so we can update your modem to 5G now."  All of our connections are of course fine.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just got this type of call 30 minutes ago saying the same thing. Knew it was a scam when they said they wanted to schedule the upgrade time...   that stuff happens automatically at night. I stayed on the line long enough to hear the money part of the scam and take down the "name and number" of the agent which is no doubt bogus.

*EDIT* I tried to post the bogus number and bogus agent name here so if anyone else was given that fake name and number they would find this post, but I guess fake numbers are "personal info" yet these scumbag people have MY number and MY name. How did they get this COMCAST?

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here