gordoncross1's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, October 22nd, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Xfinity home phone

How do I make my Windows PC my xfinity home phone?  I am paying for the service already.

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

4 years ago

First, when you say to your home, does that imply you have a home customer plan?  The reason I ask is as far as I can tell, telephone service for Comcast Business plans is very different from telephone service for home customer plans.  If you have a Comcast Business account that is associated with your home service, disregard everything I am about to say as it probably does not apply.

As far as I know, the only way to possibly do this for a Windows PC is install Bluestacks which allows you to install Android apps from the Google Play store.  You should then be able to install Xfinity Voice2Go.

It should be noted that Bluestacks is a memory intensive application and may impact performance.  I would recommend instead getting a cheap budget android phone to install and use Voice2Go on.  As long as it is *NOT* an "Android Go" phone but a full Android phone, it should probably work with Voice2Go as long as the phone is connected to your Wifi.  It shouldn't need cell phone service to be activated.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You can’t

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the help.  According to my account, I have a phone number and numerous Voicemails.  And I am paying for Voip.  

However, I do not see any option to make calls or receive them on my PC.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

4 years ago

@gordoncross1 wrote:

Thanks for the help.  According to my account, I have a phone number and numerous Voicemails.  And I am paying for Voip.  

However, I do not see any option to make calls or receive them on my PC.

CCAndrew has already provided a helpful knowledgebase article that includes how to get to voicemails via PC.  You should be able to just use the Xfinity Voice web browser access for that.

What we seem to be paying for as Comcast residential customers is "PacketCable" service.  My understanding is it is the intention of this standard to tie voice service to a specific DOCSIS modem.

The best work-around I can suggest is using the Android app for making calls from a PC.  For receiving calls, you would have to leave an Android emulator always running and the laptop always turned on.

Depending on your needs, switching to a Comcast Business account might be the best option.  A CB account manager should be able to go over the differences between Comcast residential PacketCable service vs. CB SIP service.

You could also shop around for third-party SIP providers to use over your Comcast Internet service.  However, I consider discussion of which third-party SIP provider might work best for you to be beyond the scope of this forum.

For best leveraging an existing Xfinity Voice on a residental account, the best options I can come up with is either get a telephony capable DOCSIS modem or a budget Android phone (or install it on any existing smart phone you have).  I also would have liked to have seen a PC app but as far as I can tell that is part of the distinction between residential and business grade service.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

I have tried both NOX and BlueStacks, both don't work.  BlueStacks cannot connect to Google store due to antivirus block and NOX fails to connect to xfinity accound after app is installed.  Probably going to cancel the service.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here