U

Wednesday, August 9th, 2023 7:55 AM

Closed

Want To Turn Off Voicemail

I want to disable voice mail, it doesn't matter why, we just do NOT want it. I called Xfinity tonight and was told by the representative who answered my call that there is no way to turn off or disable voice mail. I was also told the number of rings before voice mail answers cannot be changed. If all that is true, then you are forcing your customers to have voice mail and have to run to the phone when it rings in order to answer it, which is a hazard for many people, especially the elderly who cannot get to the phone quickly enough to answer the phone before voice mail answers it. If the representative I spoke to is correct, it seems like the only way to not have voice mail on a land line one pays Xfinity for is to cancel their service and not pay Xfinity for a land line.

If you know of another way to not have voice mail, and to change the number of rings before voice mail answers if one does have voice mail, please let us know about it.

I also do not have advanced call forwarding so the option of using that to change the number of rings before voice mail answers like some have been able to do, is not an option we have, even though I have no idea why we do not have that feature.

Any help you can give with these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

1 year ago

I do want to thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to reach out through our Forums Channel. I can tell you have not had the best experience and I assure you I am here to do everything I can to turn this around @user_8931a0. The number of rings can be changed per the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/change-number-of-rings-before-calls-are-forwarded but I understand from a previous post with same issue that you do not have this option. Are you logged in as the primary user on the account to make changes to this setting?

You mentioned that you have elderly rushing to answer the phone, do they by chance have a cell phone? You can set up call forwarding feature with the link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/forward-calls-with-call-forwarding. I have this set up with my dad.

There is a way to disable voice mail but that would be to remove the feature from the account completely therefore there wouldn't be voicemail at all on the account. Did you want to keep voicemail as an option? If so we wouldn't want to remove this feature as a way to disable voicemail. 

4 Messages

@XfinityDena​ Hi, thank you for your reply and I'm sorry for my delay in replying to you, it has been a couple of crazy busy days. I did write a reply earlier today, but after I clicked on "post", a window with nothing on it opened briefly, then went away, and my post was nowhere to be found.

In any case, to answer your questions, I am logged in as the primary user, but the advanced call forwarding options are not there.

No, my elderly loved one does not have a cell phone, they are unable to use such a thing which is why we are paying Xfinity for a land line.

No, I do not want to keep voice mail as an option at all. I did call Xfinity again and they were able to shut off voice mail, however, that left us with a different issue we cannot solve. Shortly before they shut off voice mail, unbeknown to me, someone called and left a message, which has resulted in the phone flashing it's irritating indicator that there is a voice mail. However, since voice mail has been shut off, we cannot access that message to delete it and make the flashing voice mail indicator stop flashing. I called Xfinity and the representative said he could solve that issue by deleting the voice mail on his end, which he said he did do. Unfortunately, that apparently did not work as the indicator light is still flashing.

Since I have already spoken to an Xfinity representative who said he took care of the problem, but what he did do did NOT stop the flashing voice mail indicator, and we do not have access to that voice mail to delete it to stop the voice mail indicator from flashing, I have no idea how to stop the flashing voice mail indicator that is driving us nuts.

Do you have any idea how we can solve this latest problem I described in this post?

Thank you for any help you can give us in solving this problem.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

I can double-check the account to see if we have any other options, however if it is the phone itself you may need to reach out to the manufacturer to see if there is any option of resetting the handheld phone to remove the indicator. I can definitely understand how frustrating it is, I delete my voice mails on the cell phone because I can't stand the notification myself. If you'd like me to see if we missed something send us a DM to Xfinity Support with your full name and address to get started.

To send a direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
 Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

@XfinityBillie​ I did all you said to do to send a message, many hours ago this afternoon, didn't notice until just now that it said "couldn't send", and again just now when I noticed that and got the same "couldn't send" as I did the first time. No idea what to do now.

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

@user_8931a0 When you are sending the message are you trying to send it directly to Xfinity Support? Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies or a different web browser?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

3 Messages

1 year ago

We have the same problem as user_8931aO. We want to use our answering machine exclusively. If that means deleting xfinity Voice Mail, then lets do that. How do we precede?

user_919520

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

1 year ago

We appreciate your time in working with us and are thrilled that you were finally able to resolve the voicemail notification. Have a wonderful week.

1 Message

8 months ago

How do I turn off voice answering machine?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, @user_1mlj9j! We appreciate you for your time spent reaching out to XFINITY over our forums page for help with turning off the voice answering machine. As a customer myself, I understand the importance of removing features that you do not use. We can help. Are you wanting to remove the voice mail feature or are you needing help with turning off a voice answering machine that you have connected as its own device?

1 Message

8 months ago

As user_919520 asked, how does one go about completely deleting xfinity Voice Mail from the account? (While keeping the basic landline telephone service.)

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

user_6xpa0j, Thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support. To cancel your voicemail, you will need to have us remove it for you. We would be happy to help you. Just send us a DM with your name and full address by doing the following: 

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

1 Message

8 months ago

Me too - I would like to completely disable voicemail.  I don't want the phone to ring longer before the voicemail picks up, or to forward calls when no one answers.  I would just like the phone to ring until the caller hangs up with no option to leave a voice message.  I see in other threads, customers have been able to accomplish this by direct messaging an Xfinity employee who posts on this discussion board.  Is there someone who can help?  Thanks!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_7tui11! Our team can certainly assist with disabling voicemail on your home phone services. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there
 - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list
 - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it.

1 Message

8 months ago

I wish to turn off the voicemail feature on the home phone service. It used to be disabled, at my request, but has sometime since been restored (I don't know when). Thank you.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

812 Messages

@user_4v39bp, I appreciate you using the Community Forums page to reach out. The removal of the voicemail feature should definitely be something we can process for you on our end. Please send me a direct message with your full name and complete service address to get started.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon (upper right corner of this page)
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send your message. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here