U

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Mon, Sep 6, 2021 10:45 PM

'Our Area' Cable Channels Broadcast Via Internet? Cable is Run Through Flex 'M1' Device/Internet? Will This Impact 2022 Overage Fees?

So I upgraded to the 400mb/s internet, and ~210 channel cable package. I believe it's the Blast! Internet Plan. I live in Manchester NH, so they're the only game in town.

We just had internet before, and we wanted to get cable as well. When we went to go get the cable box or whatever from the store, I was surprised that they said we'll watch the cable channels just via the internet, and the 'cable box' is just the the square/thin 'Flex' device. I think they call it "X1" or something now.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but it's now dawning on me, when the $10 fee per 50gb over the 1.2tb thing starts in 2022, what we watch on cable will be factored into that gb/month usage figure...

The gentleman we spoke with at the Xfinity store made it a point to say 'for your area, you just need the flex device' and that cable was broadcasted to our home via the internet, and not via, well... a cable.

My actual question: Does anyone have any knowledge about this whole watching the cable channels through the internet thing? It seems sketch that our cable watching will now be subject to extra fee's just because 'our area' runs cable off the X1 device/internet.

Anyway, thanks for any/all input, really appreciate whatever insight this community can provide! ( sorry if this was long and tyvm for reading :) )

-Kevin

Responses

Official Employee

• 

192 Messages

16 d ago

Hello @user_9edb1a, thank you for taking the time to reach out to us on our community forums! Xfinity Flex is an internet-only service causing all usage on Xfinity Flex to be streamed over the internet and count toward your internet usage.

Our Flex boxes are also used as our wireless cable boxes if you are watching live television and not subscribed to Flex, internet apps, such as Netflix, Pandora, and YouTube, will continue to count toward data usage but live channels will not. Could you please send our team a private message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

New to the Community?

Start Here