jabbahut1972's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, December 20th, 2023 7:25 PM

Closed

Intermittent problem with my Flex device

Hello everyone. I've been a Comcast customer for over 20 years, but this is my first post in the community. Anyway, sometimes I notice when I turn on my TV, I see a blank screen instead of seeing the main screen for Flex. I have the input on the TV correctly, so it's not a problem with the way I connect my Flex device to it. I try using the voice remote to reboot the device but nothing seems to happen. At least not that I can see on the screen since it's blank. I know it takes time, but I lack patience, so then I try unplugging the device from the electrical outlet for 30 seconds and plug it back in. The device then goes through its reboot process and a few minutes later everything is working again.

As I said before this happens on a intermittent basis, so I can't recreate the problem. My question is why does this happen? Is this due to a software or firmware glitch in the device, or perhaps a "hiccup" in my internet connection? All the lights on my cable modem (it's my own one - a refurbished Netgear model C6250 - I got it so I wouldn't have to pay to rent one from Comcast) are on, so I doubt that is the culprit. To the best of my knowledge the device runs an update everyday during the night (if I happen to be awake whenever I get a notice asking me if I want to update, I always select to do the update) so I would think if it's a firmware problem the update should (emphasis added) take care of this. The only thing I can think of that could be the culprit is that this a sign that the device is about to "die" and I'll need to eventually get it replaced, but I thought I'd ask here first. I've had the device for a few years now.

If anyone can shed light on this phenomenon, I'd appreciate it. 

Official Employee

• 

966 Messages

6 months ago

Hi there, @jabbahut1972 Thank you so much for your time and patience. I'm truly sorry for the trouble you are having with your Flexbox, I understand how frustrating this is for you. Have you tried performing a complete system refresh? If not you can select an option picture quality then it will give you an option to do a complete system refresh, which typically takes about 15-20 minutes to complete.-Richard 

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

6 months ago

Thanks for the suggestion. Richard. I had not thought about doing that. I tried it ss you suggested. After it was done. I noticed it logged me out of all the streaming services I subscribe to,. I figure this is normal when doing a system refresh. I logged into Peack with my username & password (I use my secondary email with Comcast, not the one I use to lig in to this forum).

However, now I'm facing a new problem on a count of the refresh I performed. When I wanted to watch a favorite show of mine, it prompted me to sign up for a subscription. WTH?!? I already have the service for $2.99/month with as a part of my monthly billing that I activated back in August. Why do I need to sign up for somethinf

g I already pay for? I double-checked my last bill which was dated earlier this month & sure enough Peacock is listed there in the bill.

I then called Comcast support & spoke with a lady (cannot recall who) who rebooted my device on her end & after telling her that I still can't watch my favorite show,  she put me on hold to find out what the problem was. Turns out they tried to update the software on the device but were having trouble & was told they'd have it resolved in an hour. It seems only Peacock is affected, as I tested another 3rd party streaming service I subscribe to and I was able to watch what I wanted after logging in.

Fast forward 4 hours later and the first thing I did was to reboot the device "just in case." But I still can't watch my favorite shows on Peacock & I notice most shows, including the one I wanted to watch and was able to watch it with no problem last night, are listed as having a yellow diagonal ribbon marked "premium." They were not listed as premium before I did the fresh on the Flex device, so why they are now I don't know why and I seriously doubt Peacock made those shows premium only just now - otherwise they would have sent an email alert, which I never got. If they did, then that is a dirty trick to do without warning their customers, or Comcast letting me know about it so they csn relay the warning to me since I pay them $2,99/month for it.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Well after speaking with a rep, it seems I'm not the only one with this issue.It seems that this is a problem with Peacock & not Comcast. I was told that the techs are working on the problem & notified Peacock about it & are waiting for Peacock to respond. This usually takes 24 hours & I was told they'll send out a text alert once a resolution is found.

Hopefully this isn't Peacock deciding to give all Comcast customers who signed up for Peacock @ 2.99/month by August 2023 [Edited: Inflammatory] despite Comcast offering Peacock Premium for $2,99/month for 2 years to its Flex customers effective last June (I think that was when Peacock ended their contract with Comcast). But if  this is indeed such a thing & I do indeed need to sign up for Peacock Premium at a higher price/month I was told Comcast will refund the $2.99/month to those who signed up for the service for 2 years.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

@jabbahut1972 I can definitely understand the frustration and I'd like to check a few things on our end. Sometimes it's a username issue when you try to log into Peacock. Since I will need some account information, please send us a DM with your full name and address to Xfinity Support.

To send a direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pen and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Sorry for the late reply, but I was having trouble with your forum as I couldn't post a reply because the cursor wouldn't appear in the text window when I clicked on it. That problem resolved itself now. Anyway it turns out that the issue I was experiencing with Peacock didn't have anything to do with Comcast but rather Peacock themselves. I spoke to a rep the night of the last post in this thread. He asked me if I was able to log in to Peacock on another device - in this case, my Samsung S10 phone. I was able to but I still couldn't watch premium content despite paying Cocmast $2.99/month for the service. He attempted to reboot my modem in the hopes that I would get a new IP address and told me to access Peacock on the Flex device again. Still the same problem with not being able to watch premium content. The tech explained to me that if it was an issue with Comcast, then only the Flex device would have been affected, but since I couldn't access premium content on my phone it was Peacock's problem.

Long story short, Peacock was unable to locate my account, but after showing them a screenshot of my last bill which had the $2.99 charge for the service they gave me a promo code for the same price rather than their $5.99/month good for 12 years. Why I wasn't able to watch this in the first place I have no idea as the tech I spoke to on the phone (who told me it was Peacock's problem) told me that he didn't see any service outages regarding the Flex device at the time I called. Nevertheless I called up Comcast again to take off the $2.99 charge, and at the end of 12 months I'll decide if I want to pay Peacock directly @ $5.99/month. So my issue was resolved via a workaround by taking off the subscription from my bill and pay Peacock directly for the service instead of Comcast.

Anyway, I want to thank those who responded to this thread and for their suggestions. The admins can go ahead and close this thread as resolved.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you for reaching back out to us @jabbahut1972! We’re so glad to hear this issue was resolved!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here