U

Thursday, February 29th, 2024 3:00 PM

FLEX BOX WILL DEPLETE YOUR WIFI DATA

The 5+ years I’ve had Xfinity, I hadn’t gone over my data limit, until I got the flex box. Nothing changes with steaming, which is why I got rid of cable because all we did was stream, gaming hadn’t changed, random time on SM hadn’t change. Only thing that changed about a year ago was that I got a flex box. Now every month I am consistently eating up data. After reading many people saying the same on multiple platforms, I have come to the realization that Xfinity pushes the box for increased profit via data depletion. 

Expert

• 

192 Messages

4 months ago

@user_w4v5bm Not to be rude, but what did you expect? The Xfinity Flex box IS a streaming only device. This means everything you are watching while using it is being streamed which counts towards your data usage. I am pretty sure that Comcast does not try to hide this fact. That information is found on their Xfinity Flex FAQ article. Per that article:

"Does all my Xfinity Flex content, including content from Comcast/NBCUniversal and my Xfinity Home Camera feeds, count against my internet usage?
Xfinity Flex is an internet-only service, meaning all usage on Xfinity Flex is streamed over the internet. Video (including from Comcast and NBCUniversal), music, web cameras and the Xfinity Flex guide itself – all of these will count toward your internet usage. You can check your data usage in the Account section on Xfinity Flex."

Any device you use (phone, computer, Smart TV) to access streaming content while at home will count towards your data usage. If you have a problem with going over, you can try adding unlimited data to your plan OR get Comcast's regular TV service where most content is not streaming to save yourself from using as much data. 

Also, Comcast has put out an article explaining their data usage plan and what counts toward it. In that article it states: "All internet-based video streaming and download services, including internet-delivered programming available through xfinity.com/stream and Xfinity apps, are included in the calculation of monthly usage. Xfinity TV and Xfinity Voice services that are not delivered over the internet and are not received by you using your Xfinity Internet service do not count."

I hope this helps.

2 Messages

@Here4Help​ clearly comprehension is not your strong suit lol. As I said, PRIOR TO getting the flex all I did was stream, so I should have been using the same amount of data. I streamed on other devices the entire time BEFORE getting the flex box. Majority of days streaming on multiple devices as I’m not the only person in the house. Only change in streaming habit was the device - flex box. Streaming regularly on all other devices (the same amount of time as I did on the flex box) I only used about 500gb. With flex box it has more than doubled. I hope this helps you understand. 

Official Employee

• 

3.9K Messages

Thanks for this information, @user_w4v5bm! The flex box is also a 4K streaming box as well. When you stream before getting the flex box were you streaming 4K content or normal 1080p content?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here