U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, February 20th, 2022 8:42 PM

Closed

Bought a Xfinity Flex TV Box AX061AEI on eBay but it's already registered to an account.

Hi all,

So a simplified version: I bought a 'in-the-box' Xfinity Flex TV Box AX061AEI.  Since it was new and the seller takes returns, I figured no harm, no foul.  

The box IS new but I can't add it to my account because it's registered to an Xfinity account.  The fella at the call center told me to take it to a service center and they may be able to clear it for me to use but after digging a bit deeper, I realize that Comcast/Xfinity likely considers this unit their property and will want it back.  

My question: Should I return it to the seller for money back or since Xfinity knows that I have THIS particular box are they going to try to get it back from ME.  Should I return the box to Xfinity and flame the seller?  I'm particularly looking for advice FROM Xfinity or someone experienced with this type of situation.

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

263 Messages

3 years ago

Return the box to the seller, the device is tied to their account.  They will get charged if they don’t return it.   You can request one for free if you have xfinity internet. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityChad2​ 

Thanks for your reply!  I don't think the eBay seller is the Xfinity account holder but I was thinking I would return it if Xfinity was going to come after ME for having it.  Otherwise I might keep it for the remote.

Question to your comment: I can request one for free if you have Xfinity internet?  I do have the full Xfinity services PLUS I already have one of the AX061AEI tv boxes which I rent for my main TV.  I bought the eBay one so I wouldn't have to rent a second box for a bedroom which only gets used 2 weeks a year.  Are you saying that Xfinity will let me have a second box rent free?  

Retired Employee

• 

5.9K Messages

@user_406bfb 

We apologize for the confusion, if you're an existing Xfinity TV customer, you aren’t eligible for Xfinity Flex. This means that in order to have a secondary television set up with your Xfinity television service you will need to lease another television box from us. Since you mentioned you do not use this second tv very often, you also have the option to use the Xfinity Stream app on Smart TVs and some third-party equipment (such as Rokus and Amazon Fire TV). The only way that Flex box your purchased could be used on your account is if the original account holder called and had the equipment removed from their account and then you contact Comcast to have it added to your account. If you are just after a new remote for your existing Xfinity television box, you can pick one of those up for free at your local Xfinity Store. While you are there you can return the Flex box you purchased so you are not having to hold on to equipment you cannot use. 

If you would like more information about Xfinity Flex, please see here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-flex-overview

If you would like more information about the Xfinity Stream app, please see the following links. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here