U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, May 24, 2022 7:36 PM

WLM no longer working

I've been using WLM for 10+ years and all of the sudden I am having issues receiving my emails.  Over the past few days I keep getting the following error:

Unable to send or receive messages for the account. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Server: 'mail.comcast.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: POP3
Port: 995
Secure(SSL): Yes

It seems that a lot of people are having issues with 3rd party email programs.  Has anyone run into the error that I listed above and been able to fix it?

TYIA

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

1分前

Same exact program and error. The problem is definitely not on our end, nothing has changed. As a test I put all the pop3 info into gmail for a second email account and it worked fine. It seems like WLM specifically is being targeted. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1分前

Seems to be working again... all of my emails from today came through within the last 15 minutes.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

1分前

Yes working again, they fixed something :)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1分前

Working again for me as well.  I should have known better, but I called CS earlier today asking about this issue.  The person I spoke with was beyond nice and tried to be as helpful as possible, but of course I was told it was on my end.  The fact it is working once again without me doing anything says otherwise.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1分前

I made two calls to customer support. First told me Comcast shut down their POP3 servers and that I had to switch to IMAP. I tried setting up IMAP on WLM while support stayed on the line, but the IMAP folders wouldn’t download. They then told me I needed to contact Microsoft as the problem had to be with WLM not Comcast. 

My second call was to verify if POP3 was truly disabled as support from the first call made it sound like that the servers had been shut down for quite awhile now, which made no sense as the issue just started this morning.  Anyway, call #2’s support person had never even heard of POP3… This prompted me to request tier 2 support, which they told me to expect a call back in 24-48 hrs. 

Emails starting coming through shortly after getting off call #2. Go figure. 

Official Employee

• 

104 Messages

1分前

Hey all, we did roll back a change yesterday that caused older clients to stop receiving emails. 

That being said, although we rolled back the change, nothing was really broken. All of these older clients not just WLM are not supported by their respective owners and do not provide sufficient security. The change that was introduced forced appropriate security. This is an early warning to update to a modern client. This does not have to be a paid client, a good example would be Thunderbird. 

For the technical people out there, the change forced TLS v1.2. As most of you are aware anything below 1.2 provides little to no protection.  Most web servers included our webmail force TLS1.2. Connections through IMAP, SMTP, and POP still allow older versions of TLS with limited ciphers.  You will start hearing more and more from the industry and bigger players that they will not allow older TLS on these protocols. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityGabrielS​ 

This warrants a monetary credit to my company's business account.  I wasted an entire work day trying to fix a problem that I was told by one of your own had to be on my end.   I cost my company over $400 for the day doing nothing productive.  Due to time sensitive projects, I now have to come in to work on the weekend to make up for the lost time.  I understand that technology is ever changing and updates must be made for improvements.  However, I received no notice that the change was being implemented along with advice on what should be done to prepare for it.

Official Employee

• 

71 Messages

@brett_cci I certainly understand the frustration there! This is not the experience we want for you. We can certainly take a look into this for you.

Our awesome digital care team would be happy to assist you. Can you initiate a chat and start with your full name and address? To start a chat, you must be signed in. Please click the chat icon in the top right of the page next to the bell, and send your message to "Xfinity Support". Talk to you there!

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

1分前

Had the same problem with Eudora -  which finally prompted me to install the Hermes patch to allow Eudora to support TLS 1.2 from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/files/

After unzipping HermSSL.zip & following the included instructions, Eudora was able to successfully access comcast email.

Yay!

Again

Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

1分前

@brett_cci FWIW, residential mail should never be used in place of business mail.  That doesn't necessarily mean that if you are a small business you can't use something other than residential mail for your business.  Google has a fantastic service for small businesses for a minimal fee each month.  It's called Google Workspace and has a lot of perks with it for $6 a month.  [Disclaimer: I do not receive any monetary compensation for recommending this site.]  It also comes with quite a few perks, if you need them.  I honestly recommend checking them out.

AFWIW, WLM, the standalone version, hasn't been upgraded in years and isn't supported by Comcast.  Personally I ditched it years ago.  If you are using the standalone version that came with Windows, and something happens to corrupt it, you won't be able to download a new version.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here