dgtangman's profile

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Wednesday, December 22nd, 2021 7:47 PM

Closed

Why do I have to enter a security code on every login to read e-mail?

I have had two-factor authentication enabled for a while. For the past few days I have had to enter a security code sent to my phone every time I log in. Each time I make sure the box that says not to ask me again in this browser is checked, but invariably I have to do the same thing on the next login. I have just disabled two-factor authentication, because it has become too annoying, but that is certainly not my preferred solution!

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

2 years ago

Having the exact same problem here.  3 different computers, operating systems, and different browsers yet I am asked EVERY time to enter the security code.  Absurd

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I don't need this added security --cancel this or I will cancel comcast period

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

2 years ago

Hello and thank you for reaching out via our Xfinity Forums. Here are the instructions for removing two-step verification. 

https://comca.st/3Hac1f9

Manage Your Two-Step Verification Contact Information

You can change or remove the mobile phone number and email address associated with Two-Step Verification at any time by following the steps below:

1. Sign in to My Account with your Xfinity ID, password and verification code.
  2. Select the Users tab in the menu bar at the top of the page.
  3. Select a user to update and select Edit next to that user.
  4. Navigate to Contact Information and select Edit next to phone number or email field.

Note: Removing your email address or mobile phone number will automatically turn off Two-Step Verification, as we will no longer have a way to contact you to receive the verification code. If you change your email address or mobile phone number, don't forget to turn Two-Step Verification back on in the Settings section of My Account.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@XfinityChristy - Thank you for your reply. As I noted in my original message, "I have just disabled two-factor authentication". For anyone unfamiliar with the terminology, "two-factor authentication" is the general term for features like Xfinity Two-Step Verification.

You know what would be a more satisfying response? "Your problem has been noted and forwarded to the web site development team." Or something equivalent that would tell me that someone who might be able to make 2FA work correctly knows about the problem.

And while I'm on the subject of 2FA, is anyone at Comcast looking into the possibility of adding support for USB security keys as an alternative form of second-factor authentication?

Problem Solver

• 

567 Messages

Thanks for the clarification. We understand that this isn't an ideal situation for you. Having tried out exempting a single device from this myself, I see it's working properly on my end. If you're having trouble with this feature, would you be willing to provide some additional information? Are you using the app, or our website? Is this on a phone or computer? If it's the website, which browser are you using? Have you tried using this check-box with another web browser or another device? With this additional information, we will be able to narrow down the issue. Thank you for your patience as we work together.

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

Having to disable two factor ID because xfinitiy is dysfunctional is an unacceptable answer as far as I'm concerned.

So far I am having this systemic issue on both windows 7 and windows 10, using both Firefox and MS Edge browsers using through the xfinity web mail interface.  Doesn't matter if I clear out cookies and browser cash and start from scratch - xfinity never remembers my browser/computer and keeps asking... even if I keep my browser open and log out and try to log back in I get asked for the 2 factor code again

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi there! You may be having these issue because our websites are fully compatible with Chrome. Have you tried that? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Am experiencing the same issue, Windows 10, MS Edge. Comcast responses "Google Works" not helpful.

This feature worked fine up until a week or so ago. - what changed? Does Comcast acknowledge this as a problem and 

is a "fix" for Edge coming? 

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I am also having this problem and I am using your website, Chrome and the same laptop each time.  It requests the code every time I log into my email even though I have also checked the box to remember my browser.  From your previous replies it sounds like I will need to remove your two-step verification.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

2 years ago

Unfortunate that xfinity broke something on their end and doesn't have any solution... having to disable 2FA defeats the whole point of that extra security feature.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

I completely agree and I apologize for the inconvenience. Do you ever run into these issues while using Chrome?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

I have the same problem and I use Chrome.  Just started happening a few days ago.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

@XfinityAntoine

Yes, I am using Chrome 

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

@labuckner Once you have enrolled in Two-Step Verification, you will be asked to enter your verification code each time you sign in on your device (mobile phone or laptop, for example). Each time you enter your verification code, however, you will be given the option to not require the code for future sign-ins from that particular device when using the same browser or app. This means that you will only be asked for your unique verification code when you are signing in from a new device that you've never signed in from before, or if you are signing in from a device that you haven't used in a while. 

Checking 'remember' me on a specific device does not disable the code being required. If the option to not require the code was not set up properly, then you will be required to enter it each time. If you do no want this functionality, please disable it. 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

@XfinityHeather Note that for the customers posting on this topic your description is aspirational rather than factual. Our experience is that it doesn't matter whether or not we tell the web site to not require the code - our experience is that the code is required on every login, and the only way to prevent that is to turn off Two-Step Verification. In addition, this is a fairly recent development. Prior to early to mid December it did work as you describe. It just doesn't work that way today.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Did Xfinity just officially turn on 2FA and it doesn't work or did they break something over a week ago?

I am using the same PC with Google Chrome for over a year and all of a sudden I have to get a code texted to me every time even though I have been checking the "don't ask again on this browser", since it started sending me the code.

May I suggest these requests get sent to the next level of help desk instead of just telling everyone to turn  @2FA off, because it sounds like we just started having the same problem before Xmas.

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

2 years ago

They broke something... it seemed to be working find previously.  Now I have to enter the code every time, and I tick the checkbox as well but it does nothing... still asks me for the code.  And unfortunately xfinity doesn't get it.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Same issue here. @FA worked fine with Windows 10. MS Edge - then a week or so ago - need to get code every time. Checking the "box " doesn't work. This is a Comcast Issue. Would be nice if Comcast owned up to it and better if they "refixed it". 

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

2 years ago

Well comcast totally broke even being able to send email without a certificate error, so seems this is another on the list of bad/broken functionality.

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

I noticed  that this morning. The web mail interface gets a certificate error when it tries to contact the SMTP server. Makes me suspect they've let a certificate expire, so it could be fixed pretty much any time the right person notices that it's broken.

Edited to add: Ha! No sooner said than done - I just managed to send myself e-mail (to a Yahoo address), so they seem to have fixed it.

(edited)

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Not fixed "here". Windows 10, MS Edge - have to receive and enter "code" every time I sign into email...  NUTS.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

Just spent an hour with Xfinity on having to enter the code after checking the exempt box.  What's worse is the kindergarten questions the computer asks when you need to talk to a person.  If I wasn't paying for Xfinity through my HOA I'd have fired them years ago.

The real reason for the so called computer help is to minimize the number or real people to help you.  Just like the McDonald's kiosk. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I also was having this same problem. I went into the account and did the edit to shut off the 2 step authentication. I received an email to let me know it was shut off. I signed out of email and went back in and it didn't ask me to enter a code. It worked for me, thank goodness as it was driving me nuts also !! Now if I can get my email to work on my phone, I will be less stressed. Haven't had new mail since October !!! Good luck and hope this helps others

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Hi there, @mother1950, I am happy to hear the steps worked out for you. I appreciate you letting us know of another feature you are having issues with. I can understand how frustrating it would be to not receive new email updates on your mobile device. If you have not already done so, please create a new separate post with the details of that issue. 

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

2 years ago

Just got an e-mail from Xfinity Community Forum informing me that the original post at the top of this page now has an accepted solution. Strange that I can't find anything on this page that appears to be that accepted solution!

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Apologies for any confusion! Lets make sure we are able to help find the best possible solution. Our team always aims to provide you first-class support. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I have been having the same problem on multiple devices even though I check the remember this browser box.   I am using chrome and have also tried cleaning up browser history and cookies with no impact.   We had this same problem a few months ago and learned it was a software issue on Xfinity end.   Apparently they fixed the problem but it is now back.  Very frustrating to enter the verification code each time and problem not fixed even though so many users are experiencing the same problem.   

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

I activated your 2 step verification as was requested.  Although I selected remember this browser it kept requiring the code, which I questions here.   I was told the Xfinity Employees to deactivate it by removing my phone number.  Now each time I log on to my Xfinity Account it takes me to the security page where it wants me to enter my mobile number again.  If I don't want to enter my number because I don't want to have to constantly enter the code, my only option is to select "ask me later".  Then, it takes me to another screen that says I need to have at least one contact method, an email or phone number.  The screen shows my other email address so it want's me to add a mobile number.  Even when I click "Looks Good" I get this security page every time.  So the advice I received about removing my phone number clearly didn't work. Can someone let me know when the 2 step verification is fixed so that it will remember me once I enter the code? If that is fixed I'll enter my number again.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

358 Messages

Hi, thank you for sending in your concerns about the steps. The 2 step verification is set up to have a number entered in it so it can work and get you verified and sorry to hear the advise you got did not work for you. I do not have any updates at this time but we will keep updated on this concern.

I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum or work for Comcast. 

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Given the traffic/flak showing up on this Community Page there is a problem with teh "current 3 step eamil sign on".

It'd sure help if Comcast would acknowledge it and hopefully give us their views on getting it fixed. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@XfinityMiguel

Hi Miguel,

It's been two weeks since this original concern has been brought to the attention of Xfinity.  Do you have any more information on how this problem will be corrected?

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

Apparently that is a 'NO' :(

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

2 years ago

It is now Jan 2022 and the login problems persist.  Every change Comcast makes to the system makes it worse.  Would someone give a thought to those of us who just want to check our email during the day, who don't always have our cell phones sewn to our hips, who don't have second email numbers and who don't really understand what the H is doing on.  Just clicking on email use to get me to a sign on page with user name and password spaces right there.  Now I go to sign in and put in my user name but now I have to click on "let's go" to get to the place where I add my password.  Really? You had to create an extra click just the fun of it?  Ok, no big deal but it gets worse. I create two step verification and now I have to have my cell phone near me to check my email.  Every time I sign in, I have to add a code you send.  I click on " don't requires this on on this computer" but that doesn't work.  I still have to get a verification code.  I turn off two step verification and that changes nothing.  And when I do get on, instead of going directly to my email, I often get another, different page and I then have to click on the email icon to finally see one dang email.  More complication for no reason that I can see.   I try to add an email verification instead of cell phone verification but every email I enter gets rejected- I cant use comcast email, gmail is already in use, etc. etc.  So I google the problem and get an answer.  Following the prompts I end up two step verification  is off.  I Delete cell number and try it all again.  Now when I sign in, I still get asked to verify with cell or email, but I can click on "later." and get to, no not my email, but the page before the page with my actual email.  What an overcomplicated, ridiculous, annoying, frustrating situation.   Does Comcast give any thought to user simplicity, to the grandmas and grandpas and just plain not so computer savvy people who just want to read emails from friends and relatives.  What a crock.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

Come on, Comcast.  Fix this.  I DO want the added security of two-factor authentication, but I DO NOT need it every single time I log in from the same computer (Mac) and using the same browser (Chrome). Simply turning off two-factor authentication is NOT a solution. 

Contributor

• 

58 Messages

2 years ago

Apparently the comcast 'techs' are just reading from a script and have no idea what this feature actually is for 2FA or how its supposed to work.

Let me try to make it clearer...

Issue:

When 2FA is enabled and you select 'don't ask again on this browser', it still sends you a text message code to enter EVERY TIME.  Does not matter what browser, OS, or if cookies and cache are cleared.  This started happening about a month ago in mid December.

With 2FA, it is supposed to prompt you for a code ONCE on a new/unrecognized system if you check the 'don't ask again on this browser' box.  NOT every time.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here