U

Friday, August 23rd, 2024 3:00 PM

Unable to connect to smtp.comcast.net after ISP change

I am unable to use my Comcast account at my work site, as are other users, including the President/CEO.  It will sometimes sporadically work, but 9 times out of 10 it fails with various errors, such as "excessive authentication attempts" or "The server responded: 421 resomta-a2p-647654.sy". 

This seems to be related to a recent change in ISP at that location.  Previously, we were using Comcast Business, and never had any problems.  Recently we switched to AT&T fiber, and have a static IP block of  [Edited: "Personal Information"].

Up until yesterday, the router at work site was assigned IP [Edited: "Personal Information"].  No matter what I tried, connections to smtp.comcast.net were rejected.

So I changed the router IP to [Edited: "Personal Information"].  IMMEDIATELY connections to smtp.comcast.net started working.

Today, connection attempts to smtp.comcast.net are failing with error "The server responded: 421 resomta-a2p-647654.sy"

As an additional test, this morning I changed the router IP back to [Edited: "Personal Information"].  Connections to smtp.comcast.net are working fine again.

Since this problem appears to be related to the originating IP, would it be possible to permanently whitelist the IP block [Edited: "Personal Information"]?

If there is some other reason that connections from this IP block are failing that I can remediate on my end, please let me know what steps I should take.

Official Employee

• 

743 Messages

26 days ago

Hey there, user_ouopbl! Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us here on the Xfinity Forums. We are sorry to hear about the experience with the access. We would recommend following the steps here to report the blocked site and access. Please let me know if you have any other questions/concerns. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here