U

Wednesday, August 14th, 2024 11:15 AM

RFC6409 and Port 25 Unblock for MTA

@XfinityCSAEmail 

Hello folks,

I'm not having success over the phone requesting an unblock of port 25 on my internet service. Well-intentioned agents read the same script about port 587. This shows a lack of understanding around how email foundationally moves about the internet and the RFC memo which splits message submission from message relay, RFC6409. To check my own understanding:

• Email messages move from the sender's Mail User Agents (MUAs, should submit on port 587) to...
  • Mail Submission Agents (MSAs, should listen on port 587 and must relay on port 25) to...
  • one or more Mail Transfer Agents (MTAs, must listen on port 25 and must relay on port 25) to...
  • Mail Delivery Agents (MDAs, must listen on port 25 and should accept sessions on port 993, 995, etc.) to, at last...
  • the receiver's Mail User Agent (MUA, which should start sessions with their MDAs on port 993, 995, etc).

Port 25 is a must because, from RFC8314:
"SMTP transport MX infrastructure has no way to specify a port, so port 25 is always used."

May I please have port 25 unblocked so my MTA can operate properly? Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 month ago

May I please have port 25 unblocked so my MTA can operate properly? Thanks.

It seems unlikely for residential service. Please see the discussion in https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/66a01c7ed917b4660c29935c, especially the user_ff4e3544 comment that says an email from Comcast stated:

Xfinity no longer supports port 25 for email by our residential internet users. In the past, exceptions were made to unblock this restriction, but as of August 25, 2024, we will no longer allow these exceptions.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

3 Messages

@BruceW​ - It isn't August 25th 2024 yet, is it? ;-)

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

1 month ago

Thank you for reaching out @user_ra02kb At this time Port 25 is blocked for all residential customers.

3 Messages

@XfinityDena​ , @XfinityCSAEmail - Where may I escalate this topic?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here