MJWHawkeye's profile

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, April 30th, 2020 5:00 PM

Closed

Personal Outlook 365 user cannot get emails from comcast.net, but I can view them at Xfinity Connect

In mid-April, I stopped getting all emails  in Outlook 365 sent to my comcast.net personal account.  I could log into Xfinity and see the emails through Connect, so I know I'm getting emails.  Is there a fix for this?

Contributor

• 

62 Messages

4 years ago

Can you clarify?  Are you using outlook.com to retrieve your comcast email using the "connected accounts" feature?  If so you may want to try removing and re-adding your comcast account in outlook.com to see if that helps.  It may be using outdated settings especially if you've had it set up for a while.  Outlook.com essentially just acts as an email client, checking your comcast account every x minutes and downloading the messages, just like a client on your PC would.  If this connection stops working, they can't retrieve your emails.  Alternatively, you could go into the settings for the account and make sure they use the ones recommended by Comcast (see https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email).  As I said, Outlook.com is effectively acting as an "email client" in this case so the article applies.  The link I gave does not have specific instructions for Outlook.com but the generic ones right at the beginning should hopefully help.

If the issue is something different please give a bit more info on what is happening.  If you're using the outlook client on your desktop, the same applies, go into the account settings and make sure the settings match what is on the link above.

In Outlook 2016 I've found the below to work best for IMAP.  Should probably be the same for newer versions too.

Incoming - imap.comcast.net port 993 SSL/TLS

Outgoing - smtp.comcast.net port 465 SSL/TLS

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Office 365 is on my home PC.  I am not using Outlook.com.  I appreciate the settings you provided, and they are what I have currently.  I have checked my Comcast password, and that looks to be fine.  The Outlook configuration has not changed during the time I was getting email and today.  The fact emails occasionally come in makes me think this is not an issue on my end.

If there are additional settings you need me to check or test, let me know.  Anything to get this issue resolved.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Im having same issue.  Stopped working consistently last Thursday.  Did you find a solution?

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

@dynesh00 

Please start a new thread giving pertinent information.

I'm closing this year old thread.

Thanks

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

62 Messages

4 years ago

@MJWinIllinois wrote:

Office 365 is on my home PC.  I am not using Outlook.com.  I appreciate the settings you provided, and they are what I have currently.  I have checked my Comcast password, and that looks to be fine.  The Outlook configuration has not changed during the time I was getting email and today.  The fact emails occasionally come in makes me think this is not an issue on my end.

If there are additional settings you need me to check or test, let me know.  Anything to get this issue resolved.

Does Outlook freeze up saying "synchronizing" on the bottom (or if you click send/receive does it take forever/hang)?

Try disabling IPV6 in your router, or if you aren't able to do that, disable it on the network adapter on your computer (the router method is preferred if possible).  This has fixed similar issues for many.   Then restart your computer.

If that doesn't help, you could try removing and re-adding the account in outlook.  All your emails are stored on comcast's servers (since you're using IMAP) but your contacts and calendar you may have to re-link, the file is stored on your computer, usually under My Documents - Outlook.  After re-adding the account if those items are missing you just need to go into "data files" in outlook settings and add that one, and delete the default one it created.

Try the IPV6 first though, that has helped for many.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

When I do a Send/Recieve in Outlook, I get the status box.  The line with my account and "sending" is checked, and the sync'ing is the next line.  That message stays there for 3 - 5 seconds, and the box disappears.  This is consistent.

I've looked at disabling the IPv6 command on my router, but then I'm wondering why I need to disable a setting that was working before?  If I disable it, I'm running a certain failure of other things that do depend on IPv6.

My biggest question is why this is an issue now, when I've been using Outlook and Comcast for over 3 years?  What has changed in the last month or so to kill my use of Outlook?  I've read through the various postings about this issue, and the proposed fixes seem to run the gammet.

I appreciate you trying to help, and I don't have any bad feelings toward you.  I just wish Comcast would let it be known that there is an actual issue, and that they are working on it.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

It seems that i'm having a similar problem, except I am using MacMail-- just t he standard thing that comes with an IMAC that I"ve had for about 6-7 years now. (Admittedly, I have memory problems with passwords, and changing them seems to cvompounnd the problem since although they acknowlege that the new password is OK< when it is entered, it isn't.

I'm  driven to using the Xfinity source through Google, but it reappears on my MacMail account and doubles the work, since mail I get on the MAC has to be answered trhough Google Chrome

s Xfinity account. So many people have troubless reaching anyone who knows what they are doing. 

And the canned replies are unresponsive to our problems.

Contributor

• 

62 Messages

4 years ago

@MJWinIllinois wrote:

When I do a Send/Recieve in Outlook, I get the status box.  The line with my account and "sending" is checked, and the sync'ing is the next line.  That message stays there for 3 - 5 seconds, and the box disappears.  This is consistent.

I've looked at disabling the IPv6 command on my router, but then I'm wondering why I need to disable a setting that was working before?  If I disable it, I'm running a certain failure of other things that do depend on IPv6.

My biggest question is why this is an issue now, when I've been using Outlook and Comcast for over 3 years?  What has changed in the last month or so to kill my use of Outlook?  I've read through the various postings about this issue, and the proposed fixes seem to run the gammet.

I appreciate you trying to help, and I don't have any bad feelings toward you.  I just wish Comcast would let it be known that there is an actual issue, and that they are working on it.

Just making a suggestion based on what has worked for me (I don't work for Comcast so can't comment on any possible actual issue they may be having).  As soon as I disabled IPV6 all my IMAP synching issues went away.  I believe one or more of their IPV6 mail servers are having issues.  The symptoms were a bit different in my case, the "synchronizing" would get stuck/freeze though, that was with outlook 2016.

In my case the issue started after moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and Outlook 2013 to 2016.  Windows 7 didn't use IPV6 as primary where Windows 10 does (if it is available).  Unknown if the move from 2013 to 2016 had anything to do with it.

IPV6 isn't necessary yet and probably won't be for a long time, not aware of anythiing on the internet that "depends" on it.  Several major ISPs don't even support it.

If you want to try other things first, you can try exiting outlook.  Go into control panel, find the "mail" one, go in there and delete your comcast account then re-add it from scratch.  However before doing that, if you have any contacts or calendar items in Outlook you will want to back those up first as they are not stored on the Comcast server.  Best is to move them into a local .pst file (create one under data files in account settings and set it as the default), then re-link that file when you re-set up the account.  Ensure that file is backed up from time to time.  Otherwise outlook stores them in a proprietary file that is virtually impossible to recover.

The ideal setup with outlook/comcast is IMAP for all your email and a local .PST file for your contacts and calendar.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here