ajetbabe21's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, May 5th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

Outlook 2016 not connecting to Comcast email server after password change

I recently changed my Comcast account password and went to update my Outlook settings accordingly. Under Outlook I entered the new password under Account Information > Account Settings > Server Settings. Outlook then attempts to connect to the Comcast server but errors out "Something went wrong" (no error code or further information) after a second or so.

The password I am entering is definitely correct, however I did change my password twice yesterday so I wonder if something on the email server's end is flagging Outlook's attempt to connect. 

My server settings are as follows: 

Incoming:  imap.comcast.net          port: 993    SSL/TLS encryption (SPA is disabled)

Outgoing: smtp.comcast.net           port: 465    SSL/TLS  (disabled SPA login and disabled outgoing SMTP authentication) 

As far as I know these are the appropriate settings, but I am still unable to connect.

Thanks in advance, this is causing a real headache

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

4 years ago

@ajetbabe21 wrote:

I recently changed my Comcast account password and went to update my Outlook settings accordingly. Under Outlook I entered the new password under Account Information > Account Settings > Server Settings. Outlook then attempts to connect to the Comcast server but errors out "Something went wrong" (no error code or further information) after a second or so.

The password I am entering is definitely correct, however I did change my password twice yesterday so I wonder if something on the email server's end is flagging Outlook's attempt to connect. 

My server settings are as follows: 

Incoming:  imap.comcast.net          port: 993    SSL/TLS encryption (SPA is disabled)

Outgoing: smtp.comcast.net           port: 465    SSL/TLS  (disabled SPA login and disabled outgoing SMTP authentication) 

As far as I know these are the appropriate settings, but I am still unable to connect.

Thanks in advance, this is causing a real headache

Have you tried removing the Comcast email account from Outlook and re-adding it back using the updated credentials?

Contributor

• 

62 Messages

4 years ago

If your outlook was set up to use POP before you should have a .PST file in your documents folder, you can open that file in Outlook and you will have access to your contacts and calendar.  You can also drag and drop all your emails from that file to your main folders, which will re-upload them to comcast and get them in synch (leaving only contacts and calendar in that file).  If it was set up to use IMAP and you didn't specifically set up a local file for your contacts and calendar, unfortunately it is nearly impossible to get them back once you've removed the account from outlook if you didn't export them first.

The ideal setup is to have IMAP for your email (email is stored on comcast's server and cached in a local file that you don't need to worry about), then a local PST file (you can create it under "data files" in the account settings) which contains only your contacts and calendar.  Make sure that file is backed up regularly so you won't lose it if your hard drive crashes.

Going back to your original issue though, you stated "disabled outgoing SMTP authentication" - that was likely your issue.  Outgoing should be set to "use same settings as incoming".  Authentication IS required for outgoing.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I had not. Unfortunately I've had issues with Outlook importing contacts from a saved backup, so I was trying to avoid it. I did as you suggested though and it did work. Now to start the lengthy process of importing my contacts again, ah well. That's a problem for the microsoft boards haha. Thanks!

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

This is a bizzare solution but it worked for me after many hours of trying in vain using the other proposed solutions:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Fixed-Outlook-365-Error-With-Comcast/m-p/3268399

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here