crf318's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, June 2nd, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

Outgoing SMTP SERVER NOT WORKING

I have been using outlook to check my comcast emails for at least 10 years now. Never an issue. All of a sudden last night I could not send anything from outlook.   No password changes.  No changes period.  
I get a message that says there is an error connecting to the smtp server. 
I can't send emails through Outlook on my laptop nor through the mail application on my iPhone or iPad. I get the same message on all devices. I've called Comcast and wasted 4 hours during the day. Missed work trying to get this fixed. At the end of the call they said they can't help me anymore and that I should call Outlook. When I asked about the same error on my iPhone and iPad they didn't have an answer. I called Microsoft and they did several test at over an hour and told me try diff port and encryption combinations with no resolution.  After all this wasted time I'm still getting the SMTP server connection error message.   I'm using Outlook version 2016, any help is appreciated. 

Expert

• 

30.5K Messages

4 years ago

@crf318 wrote:

I have been using outlook to check my comcast emails for at least 10 years now. Never an issue. All of a sudden last night I could not send anything from outlook.   No password changes.  No changes period.  
I get a message that says there is an error connecting to the smtp server. 
I can't send emails through Outlook on my laptop nor through the mail application on my iPhone or iPad. I get the same message on all devices.

And that message is???

I've called Comcast and wasted 4 hours during the day. Missed work trying to get this fixed. At the end of the call they said they can't help me anymore and that I should call Outlook. When I asked about the same error on my iPhone and iPad they didn't have an answer. I called Microsoft and they did several test at over an hour and told me try diff port and encryption combinations with no resolution.  After all this wasted time I'm still getting the SMTP server connection error message.   I'm using Outlook version 2016, any help is appreciated. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

The error message from Microsoft when testing outgoing email server on my laptop says:
Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing SMTP email server. If you continue to receive this message contact your ISP.

Message on iPhone & iPad when checking Comcast email Through mail App (not Comcast Mail app) says:
The connection to the outgoing
server smtp.comcast.net failed.

I log in to my Comcast email via the xfinity website just fine so it’s not a password issue.
Any help is appreciated

Official Employee

• 

102 Messages

4 years ago

@crf318 Hello, I am sending you a direct messgae to gather more details. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

After more time with comcast support and Microsoft support yesterday; no solution

The server set up information the provider (Comast) gave my husband during several comcast supports calls on Tuesday; and the same server set up information given to me on continuring comcast support calls on Tuesday as well as further comcast support calls yesterday was invalid. 

Comcast kept trying several server set up combinations and none worked.  

Miscrosoft dialed into my computer and accessed the set up this morning and entered one of the combinations that was already tried on Wednesday and it was fixed it in 5 minutes.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the same issue with the Mac mail app and Comcast SMTP outgoing mail.  It doesn't recognize my name and/or password.  Do you have any idea what setting change worked for you?

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I have had this same issue, on and off for over a  year, and I finally figured out my problem, so hopefully it will help others.

I have 2 separate ISPs (one for the family, one for my work).

The regular household ISP is a combination satellite dish/radio tower (NextLink), and that connection will never connect properly to smtp.comcast.net using any possible combination of port/encryption.

My other DSL connection works perfectly.

For those who are having this issue, I would suggest using your phone as a hotspot temporarily if need be, and connect to that with your computer, and see if that fixes the issue. At least then you'll know it's something with your ISP (possibly blocking certain outgoing ports).

Hope this helps.

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

OK, then, let's try again....

Per the below, Comcast is clearly having problems.  The SMTP server should respond rather than getting hung up, and the connection timing out.

++++++++

MYCOMPUTERUSERID:~ MYCOMPUTERUSERID$ swaks -stl -t MYEMAILADDRESS@comcast.net -f MYEMAILADDRESS@comcast.net -p 587 -tlso -au ME -s smtp.comcast.net
Password: MY PASSWORD
=== Trying smtp.comcast.net:587...
*** Error connecting to smtp.comcast.net:587:
*** IO::Socket::INET6: connect: timeout

+++++++++++

MYCOMPUTERUSERID:~ MYCOMPUTERUSERID$ swaks -stl -t MYEMAILADDRESS@comcast.net -f MYEMAILADDRESS@comcast.net -p 465 -tlso -au ME -s smtp.comcast.net
Password: MY PASSWORD
=== Trying smtp.comcast.net:465...
*** Error connecting to smtp.comcast.net:465:
*** IO::Socket::INET6: connect: timeout

+++++++++++

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I am having the same issue. All of my Apple mail devices Cannot send mail. The connection to the outgoing server smtp.comcast.net failed.

Is there a fix for this?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

has there been a fix for this, same problem, please advise

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

4 years ago

@steve963 wrote:

has there been a fix for this, same problem, please advise

In my experience, the problem -- delays in handshaking -- comes and goes.  Yesterday, the delays  were pretty significant.  It seemed to me that delays on the receiving (POP3) side were more significant than on the outgoing (SMTP) side.  This is not the first time that I have noticed this.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have the same issue. My iPad has been able to send and receive emails for several years via the mail app.  Suddenly outgoing mail has failed. My iPhone and web access  through xfinity.com work fine . I have tried everything. Can anyone help?

This comment has been converted into a post

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2.2K Messages

@user_c59b94 wrote:

My iPad has been able to send and receive emails for several years via the mail app.  Suddenly outgoing mail has failed. My iPhone and web access  through xfinity.com work fine . I have tried everything. 

What 'everything' have you tried?  Did this issue for you start after 4/20 when the Xfinity Connect mobile app was discontinued?  Have you tried removing/re-adding the Xfinity email account or verifying Comcast's IMAP/SMTP servers and ports configured in your Mail app?

Expert

• 

104.3K Messages

3 years ago

Year old dead thread now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here