Paula47's profile

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

Sat, Jul 31, 2021 4:11 PM

Missing Emails from Personal Folders

All of the subfolders that I have created under the Parent folder “Inbox” became inaccessible some time between Monday, July 19, and Tuesday, July 20. I could see the folders were all there, but when I tried to access them, the message came up “Error: Failed to load messages” with a link to “Retry”. When I clicked on the link, I got bounced back to my Inbox with a popup message saying “Error Mail folder “INBOX/^^^^^/^^^^^/[name of folder that I tried to access] could not be found on mail server imap-east.ge.xfinity.com.” (The two subfolders - ^^^^^ - between “INBOX”  and the name of the folder I tried to access are “ghost” subfolders that appeared when I first discovered the problem on the 20th. There were three of these ghost subfolders on July 20; there are seven as of today.)

I called technical support on July 20, and Casey did some troubleshooting steps with me and then said he would attempt to restore the emails from the server. He told me it may take a couple of hours, but they may show up in a “Restore” folder. I checked later that day, but the only emails I found in the Restore folder were emails that I had emptied from my Trash folder. I called again on July 21 and spoke with Damon, who also went through some troubleshooting steps with me. He also attempted to restore the emails from the server and said to give it a couple of days since there were so many emails. The second Restore folder contains different/additional emails that were not in the first Restore folder, but again were emails that had been emptied from my Trash folder.

Many of these folders I created contained important emails that I have been storing as a filing system rather than printing them out. I had not yet reached the 10GB capacity in email usage. It now shows 46% usage, and when I recently checked prior to July 20, it showed under 80%. A similar issue happened to me a couple of years ago with a single subfolder when I tried to move it to a different folder, and I never got a resolution.

I have been checking the Community Forums over the last week or so to see if anyone else has had this issue and found similar instances, but I haven’t seen any resolution unless it was taken care of through direct messaging.

Responses

Official Employee

• 

453 Messages

2 m ago

Hello and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on our Xfinity Forums. I'm truly sorry for the frustration this has caused and I would be more than happy to take a look into it and see if we can restore the lost emails. Please send us a private message with your name and service address to Xfinity Support by clicking the chat icon at the top right of the page.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message you may need to:

Click "Sign In"
Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

New to the Community?

Start Here