154541's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Monday, November 16th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

Is this Phishing, Fraud, a Scam?

I’m receiving e-mails telling me that my account will be terminated if I don’t upgrade to “connect 13.2”. I think this is phishing or some other variant of hacking, fraud. Here is the latest;
“Dear Users,

We are now introducing the new Xfinity secured Connect version, Connect 13.2 as the old Xfinity Connect version 12.9 has been faced off. quickly reinstate your account by CLICKING HERE, as failure to do so will result in permanent loss of your account data and might cause your account to shut down. login- to restore Accounts

Thanks
Comcast © 2020 All Right reserved”

Hacking, phishing, etc should be a capital offense!!!!

CL

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

393 Messages

4 years ago

It certainly has the look of a phising email.  They lost me at "has been faced off."  I assume the CLICK HERE link points someplace odd.

I don't use Xfinity Connect myself but apparently, it's a phone app for getting Xfinity emails.  I suppose you could go into the play store or app store and see if it is up to date.  I think phone apps usually auto-update unless you explicitly tell them not to. (Of course, it would be even more amusing if they're telling you that you must update something you don't use.)

Even if I get what looks like a legit email suggesting an update, I never follow any links in the email.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

@154541 wrote:
I’m receiving e-mails telling me that my account will be terminated if I don’t upgrade to “connect 13.2”. I think this is phishing or some other variant of hacking, fraud. Here is the latest;
“Dear Users,

We are now introducing the new Xfinity secured Connect version, Connect 13.2 as the old Xfinity Connect version 12.9 has been faced off. quickly reinstate your account by CLICKING HERE, as failure to do so will result in permanent loss of your account data and might cause your account to shut down. login- to restore Accounts

Thanks
Comcast © 2020 All Right reserved”

Hacking, phishing, etc should be a capital offense!!!!

CL

This is a phishing scam.  Comcast will not send you an email threatening any kind of action.  If you got the message in the webmail UI, here is how to tell a legitimate email from Comcast-------------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-verified-email/

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here