Willyou's profile

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

Friday, April 24th, 2020 6:00 PM

Closed

How to use existing email address

I currently have an email account with a different provider that I have used for many years. I also have an Xfinity account that I would like to use exclusively but, I would like to keep my old email address. If this is possible, can someone tell me how to set it up within my Xfinity email?

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

Look at the bottom of the folders pane to the left of the Inbox page and you will see "Add mail account".  Click on that and follow the prompts.  It is a pretty good email fetcher actually and lets you add non-Comcast accounts to your Inbox page, if that is what you are referring to.  The exception is Gmail accounts which don't work in that feature unfortunately.  It doesn't seem to  like iCloud accounts either.

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks. I understand the mail getter process in concept. Although, I haven't been able to make it work yet because of some setting I haven't gotten correct. However, what I really want to do is close out the other account and only use Xfinity but, keep my old email address. This was done a couple of times before when we changed service providers but, I don't know how they did it.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Willyou wrote:

Thanks. I understand the mail getter process in concept. Although, I haven't been able to make it work yet because of some setting I haven't gotten correct. However, what I really want to do is close out the other account and only use Xfinity but, keep my old email address. This was done a couple of times before when we changed service providers but, I don't know how they did it.

If you close the account from the other email provider, you will not be able to use that address again, unless they have a policy of letting people keep their email alive after they are no longer customers.  Who is the other provider?

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

Our very first email address many years ago was with Bellsouth So. Our address was name@bellsouth.net .  Subsequently, AT&T took over Bellsouth but, we were able to keep the name@bellsouth.net address. Later, AT&T joined up with Yahoo for management of our email. Then later, they parted company but, again, we were able to keep the bellsouth address. At this point, we are not sure who is actually providing our email service as we can access it from either yahoo or AT&T websits. We would like to get out from under that confusing mess but we have had the bellsouth address for many years and really don't want to change. I thought I understood that a provider could somehow link any user name with the actual email address so that anyone sending us an email could still use the old familiar one. I think that is what we are doing now using the name@bellsouth.net address with either Yahoo or AT&T as the provider.

Your help is appreciated

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Willyou wrote:

Our very first email address many years ago was with Bellsouth So. Our address was name@bellsouth.net .  Subsequently, AT&T took over Bellsouth but, we were able to keep the name@bellsouth.net address. Later, AT&T joined up with Yahoo for management of our email. Then later, they parted company but, again, we were able to keep the bellsouth address. At this point, we are not sure who is actually providing our email service as we can access it from either yahoo or AT&T websits. We would like to get out from under that confusing mess but we have had the bellsouth address for many years and really don't want to change. I thought I understood that a provider could somehow link any user name with the actual email address so that anyone sending us an email could still use the old familiar one. I think that is what we are doing now using the name@bellsouth.net address with either Yahoo or AT&T as the provider.

Your help is appreciated

I found this three year old article, which seems to indicate that "Oath" now services old Bellsouth accounts.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/25/take-the-oath/

That said, in your situation, I would recommend that you begin getting away from using the Bellsouth email address.  Just stop using it for anything new, and start migrating your contacts over to something else.  In the meantime, sign into the Bellsouth and look around in the settings.  If it allows auto-forwarding, you should do that so that anyone sending to the old address will get to your Comcast or other email address. 

Looking at the list of companies that have changed hands so many times I would not rely on any of them for your serious email needs.  For that and a couple of other reasons I no longer advise people to use Yahoo as their primary email account, for example.    Your Bellsouth account could suddenly just stop working and you would be out of luck.    And yes you could use Comcast if you like.  Comcast now lets you keep your email alive even if you are no longer a Comcast customer.

Contributor

• 

15 Messages

4 years ago

OK. Thanks for the information. However disappointing, your comments are appreciated.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here