M

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, September 19th, 2022 7:55 PM

Closed

How to block an entire domain's spam emails

To whom it may concern,

I need to block an entire domain from sending emails.  I don't even want them moved into my spam folder; I don't want to see them at all.  An example of a domain is "besthomeadvice.com".  I have tried blocking this domain but apparently, I'm either setting the rules up wrong or the comcast filtering isn't working.

Setting up to block an entire domain would cut down on my filtering rules so any help would be appreciated.

Also, when I do not have my email open in a browser, do the rules still activate or does my email have to be open in a browser in order for the filters to work.

Thank you!

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

2 years ago

What did you use for a Condition and action when you set up the filter?  I just tried using the condition Sender/From: @yahoo with the action being to put it into another folder;  I then sent myself an email from my Yahoo account and it worked.  One of the other action choices is to just "Discard".  You would not see it.  It would just get dumped.

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

@Latoque​ I did the same thing you did.  I added the senders address to the rule but they still keep coming in.

Even adding a discard rule didn't stop the emails from coming in.

Problem Solver

• 

637 Messages

Hello there! Thank you for reaching out! 
We can certainly understand wanting to restrict certain domains from being able to send emails at all to you. It sounds like you've gotten a headstart as far as setting up the filters.
Have you also attempted to establish the conditions to have the messages re-routed or discarded? You can check that out here too!
https://comca.st/3S55Z5A;

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@Latoque​ could you please go into more detail? I've set up filters but they don't work. Do I need to choose "any condition" or "all conditions met"? Can multiple email addresses be in the same rule as long as the action is the same for all?

Problem Solver

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

A big problem with spam filtering is most of it is spoofed addresses.  That "From" address?  Yeah, that's not who it's from.

How do you see who it's from?  It's in the header.  That text bit when you view the entire source shows the contact between the Xfinity MTA and the origin.  Likely, it's a compromised cloud server, or it's an intentional spammer that paid to operate on a hosting providers network and it's allowed.

How do you block them?  You need control of the mail server.  Then you can find the hosting company that allowed it, and block every single IP address they own as a company, and all of their 3rd party friends (Looking at you funny Colorado Crossing and Enoix).  Then you can shut down the multiple spams from multiple IP addresses originating from the source.

Blocking entire CDIR ranges, and geographical locations is not something you can do with Xfinity's mail filters -- although.....some user control on that wouldn't exactly be all that hard.  Just takes code that exists.  Switching on and off RBL lists etc.....

Perhaps someday.  It's big network and a big engineering problem.

Regular Visitor

• 

16 Messages

2 years ago

How can I block a spammer website? 

All comments are limited.  

Sometimes I am allowed to block an entire domain but USUALLY I am limited to the sender

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

For the address, I put in @(domain name).  For example @msn.com.  then I add the discard action and report it as spam.  dont move it to another folder.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here