U

Wednesday, July 10th, 2024 9:26 PM

Closed

how do i post

Received an email from Xfinity.com (not xfinity.com) titled "Your bill suspension." The email pretends to be official from xfinity using a "make a payment" button right at the top right (probably a link to fool people who might be a little more confused than I was at first-the link to financial destruction). The email claims they are only rejecting "Your method of payment" but don't worry you can just make an update, right? The creepy "Update a payment" button is inside the body of the email which sounds harmless but they want information that has nothing to do with just updating a payment (hardly) they want your whole life entered in their "Update a payment" endless amount of extra information we need to completely "steal all of your IDENTITY including your family member's identity." Please don't even click any of the buttons. DON'T!

In my case I had already sent my payment over a week ago which wasn't even due for another week or more. So I decided I could probably just check to see if my bank had already processed payment but they had not (my bank had not received any transaction from xfinity). Logged into my xfinity account (the two step security code helped) and sure enough my xfinity account reflects that the payment was processed and received yesterday on the 9th of July.

My actual "Method of payment" according to the "real xfinity" has already posted to my xfinity account and i will just double check with my bank to close the loop later. The creeps just want to confuse honest customers and maybe take advantage of them if they are not in a position to protect themselves. The creeps are very talented BUT WE MUST CHECK and keep our information secure always. We can't be lazy.

I can say that calling the 1-800-xfinity regarding billing was at least helpful since the representative was also able to verify that the payment was fine.

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

3 months ago

Greetings, user_upcjuy! Thank you for staying vigilant and for helping others to be aware of this! Our Customer Security Assurance department (CSA) is working around the clock to keep your account secure. We encourage you to report that email to them, if you have not already. 

When reporting phishing emails, it is critical that you send us the email headers. Please do not forward the phishing email. Forwarding the email will remove the original headers. Once you have copied the full message headers from the spam message, paste the header and the message into an email and send it to abuse@comcast.net with the subject line "Phishing email."

The CSA team also puts together an Alert list with any known phone or email scams which is another great place to check. 

To help prevent phishing we recommend:

• Be suspicious of any email, chat, or phone call that asks for your personal account information, such as user names, passwords, and account numbers.
  • Be aware that Comcast will never ask you for password information over the phone, chat or email.
  • Comcast will never ask for billing or payment information through email.
  • Always make sure you use a secure server when submitting credit card information.
    • To make sure you're using a secure server, check the beginning of the web address in your browsers address bar — it should be https:// rather than just http://.
  • Comcast will never ask you to pay a large amount of money upfront over an uncommon payment method.
    • To verify the legitimacy of any offers or promotions made by a caller, you can always call 1-800-XFINITY or reach out here.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here