Emails from certain website (Wix) getting blocked or not delivered.
About two weeks ago, I stopped receiving emails from Wix out of the blue. I troubleshooted with Wix, and we tested a Gmail account, and it worked, we put my Comcast email back, and it didn't work. The odd thing is when we automatically forward the emails from the Gmail account to the Comcast account we get them from Wix with both my Comcast and Gmail account in the to field, but the email intended for the Comcast mailbox never arrives.
See image. we get the one sent to the Info@(Gmail hosted domain).com but not the email intended for the @comcast.net emails.