GarryM1's profile

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, January 16th, 2022 1:10 PM

Closed

I have a recurring problem with my wife’s and my e-mail accounts (@comcast.net) on xfinity.  Almost every morning our e-mail will not send from any of our devices, which include a PC, a MAC and our iphones.  Then in the late in the afternoon or early evening, it will start sending the e-mails stored during the day in our outboxes on each device.   And this happens in both locations where we live - Each location has a different internet provider.  Thus, there must be an issue with the xfinity e-mail system as it is the only common denominator.  Can you fix this problem? Thanks

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Problem Solver

• 

497 Messages

2 years ago

Hi, @GarryM1

Are you sending the emails from the Xfinity website or from a third party email like Outlook or Apple mail? 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

The e-mail issue occurs when trying to send e-mail from my devices, such as Outlook and Apple mail, which we always use the e-mail system on our devices as it is easier to use than the xfinity website.

Problem Solver

• 

497 Messages

Got it. Can you please check to see if the incoming and outgoing port server numbers are correct? You can check to see what they should be here: https://comca.st/3frXhfU;

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

When I input the reference you provided https://comca.st/3frXhfU; into my browser I get a message 404 error, Sorry, the page you are looking for cannot be found.

However as I thought about it, why would an incoming and outgoing port server number be correct sometime and not others for the failure to send only occurs in the morning through late afternoon/early evening.  It happened yesterday, 1/20/22, that all the e-mails I sent during the day sat in my Outbox all day and then at 10:11 pm, when I wasn't on my computer, they all sent.

Expert

• 

103.7K Messages

2 years ago

Concern moved here to the proper help section...

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

2 years ago

Good afternoon,

Reviewing our logs it confirms that a third party email client attempting to access the email account via the qwest network is failing authentication. This causes there to be a temporary block on access via third party email clients and preventing the sending of emails due to a large amount of failures. The email client either has the wrong username/password combination or is misconfigured. To note, there appears to be common issues with sleep mode on devices that causes email clients to fail authentication during its sleep mode cycle. You will want to troubleshoot any devices that may be failing authentication - once it is resolved you will cease to have the issue.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

You state that "The email client either has the wrong username/password combination or is misconfigured.", but why would I have a wrong username/password combination or be misconfigured only part of the time on multiple devices, a PC, MAC and iphone, as the e-mails do eventually send.  You then state that  "there appears to be common issues with sleep mode on devices that causes email clients to fail authentication during its sleep mode cycle."  However there are many times in the morning when I am working on my computer,sending e-mails and them all of a sudden it stops sending, so the send cycle stops when the computer is not in sleep mode and then when I am not using the computer, the e-mails sitting in my outbox send, such as last night when all e-mails sitting in my outbox sent at 10:11pm.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

As a follow-up, this morning I have been sending e-mails.  I sent an e-mail at 5:49 am, but then when I tried to send an e-mail at 6:00 am, it did not send.  I will let you know when your e-mail system does let me send this morning's e-mails which are hung up in my outbox.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

2 years ago

Good afternoon,

To clarify a bit, the temporary block does not distinguish where your "active" session is for the failed authentication attempts. You may be accessing on your PC, but your other devices could be causing a fault and not authenticating properly to the server in which the server responds with "this is an attack" and places a temporary(part of the time) block on the mailbox. When said block is automatically lifted by the server, it will automatically allow the sending of emails again. I was able to locate a LAN IP of 192.168.1.100 originating from the Qwest/CenturyLink network in our logs. If you are able to locate the device within the network with that designation, it will point to the device sometimes failing authentication and causing this issue. You would want to troubleshoot the email client you are using on that device and maybe even try uninstalling/reinstalling the email client and/or check for updates from your email client provider(Outlook, Windows Live Mail, MacMail, iPhone mail, Thunderbird, etc.).

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

First this occurs on both my computer (PC) and my wife's (MAC) who has a different e-mail address on comcast.net.  I checked and my computer has the LAN IP of 192.168.1.100.  So if my computer is the problem, why isn't it causing a fault and not authenticating properly to the server when the block is automatically lifted in the evening by the server, it begins the sending the emails again?  Shouldn't the attempt by my computer to send e-mails when the block is lifted trigger another fault which would block those e-mails from sending?

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Also as I thought about it, given you point, yesterday I was sending e-mails fine until 6:00 am an then it just stopped.  Why would software authenticate one minute and not the next?

Problem Solver

• 

511 Messages

@GarryM1​ Your question was answered earlier...your phone(s) are probably attempting to connect in the background, failing said authentication, thus triggering the temporary block.  It is not your computer (or your wife's) that is causing the fault, which is why they can connect when the block is not in place.  One or more of your devices is misconfigured and causing the issue.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

As both of our phones do send and receive e-mails, not sure why they would be working sometime and not others.  Anyway would reinstalling the e-mails on both iphones make a difference?  Can you provide me specific instructions as to how to configure our iphone so that they don't fail your authentication?

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

2 years ago

Why would software authenticate one minute and not the next?

Comcast would be unable to answer this question to any extent. Comcast does not design, code, maintain, or modify the software. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here