Annabelle2's profile

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

Saturday, July 20th, 2024 7:54 PM

Delete Addresses from "Collected Addresses"

Hi, it's Annabelle.
I'm having trouble deleting all the addresses in Collected Addresses, as most of them are email addresses I don't even recognize. Specifically I want to delete them because I keep having spammers appear in my Inbox. This is despite the fact that I've set a rule to tag emails from certain email addresses with "spam". There's an email address that is bothering me because I'm not a customer with them. [Edit: Personal Information]. Particularly it's a phony one, as I don't have a Uniqlo account, and I've checked to see what their official email address is via Stay Vigilant Against Fake Websites, Emails & Accounts pretending to be from UNIQLO | UQ CA | UQ CA Customer Service. I want to delete all addresses from "Collected Addresses" since all the email addresses I associate with as a customer are in my Xfinity "Address Book". I know others have this same problem with Collected Addresses, where they "Select All", and the "Delete" button becomes marked as "Unavailable". Since I am sight challenged and don't use a mouse, just a screenreader and a keyboard, I need to find a way to only receive Emails from contacts in my "Address Book", and not "Collected Addresses". I tried posting this on Xfinity Community Forum, but it won't let me select a category or a topic (which both are required), as when I do, there are "No results found". Please help!

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

2 months ago

@Annabelle2 

I'm not clear on whether you are using a computer or a tablet or whatever to  access your email.  I don't think you can do what you are describing from the mobile app for Xfinity email.  From a desktop or laptop computer, on the Inbox page open the Address Book from the toolbar, then click on "Collected addresses" in the left pane.  From there you can delete any address you want.  To prevent the program from collecting addresses in the first place, back on the Inbox page click on the gear icon in the upper right corner, then on "Email settings".  On the landing page click on "Mail", and to the right under "Behavior" you will see the option to enable or disable that feature for incoming or outgoing emails.

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

@Latoque​ 1. I use a computer.

2. I don't use a mouse. I use a screenreader and a keyboard.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

... Address Book ... "Collected addresses" ... From there you can delete any address  ...

Yes, but only one at a time.

... "Email settings" ... "Mail" ... "Behavior" ... option to enable or disable that feature for incoming or outgoing emails,

That was true in the past, but some weeks ago I noticed that Connect was "collecting" some addresses from incoming email in a random fashion. I did not understand that as I had turned off "Collected addresses" ages ago, as soon as "Appsuite" replaced "Zimbra". So I made my way to the "Behavior" settings and discovered that turning off "Collected addresses" for sending was still an option, but the option for "While reading" was gone. In the past the "Behavior" settings were:

•       Permanently remove deleted emails
  •       While sending, automatically collect contacts in the folder "Collected addresses"
  •       While reading, automatically collect contacts in the folder "Collected addresses"
  •       Ask for mailto link registration (Register now)

But now, as of Connect v7.10.6-12-3, the "While reading" option is gone on both my desktop and my phone. The current "Behavior" settings are:

•       Permanently remove deleted emails
  •       While sending, automatically collect contacts in the folder "Collected addresses"
  •       Ask for mailto link registration (Register now [link])

I can't turn off "collecting" for random incoming addresses, and I can only delete them One. By. One.

I don't want Connect to do ANY "collecting", EVER. Why can I no longer turn this off???

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

@BruceW 

Good catch on the change of "Behavior".  I hadn't noticed it.  I can only wonder what the thinking was on why they would keep one and not the other.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

2 months ago

Hey Bruce!

That's interesting, I never knew Apsuite deleted some parameters. Zimbra? What's Zimbra?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 months ago

... Zimbra? What's Zimbra?

Zimbra, like Open-Xchange's "App Suite", is web based collaboration software. Comcast used its Email and Address Book modules for 7 years or so under the name "SmartZone" (see https://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/smart-zone-an-introduction) until 2016, when they replaced them with Open-Xchange's "App Suite" Email and Address Book modules, which they dubbed "Xfinity Connect". See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimbra and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-Xchange.

ETA: Details

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

@BruceW​ That's interesting. If you can believe it, I've actually been a Comcast customer since 2002! That's when I first got my Email address. Then ten years later in 2012, I set up my own Comcast account (I was originally on my ex-stepdad's account before I moved into my own apartment), then transferred my email address to my account. To that, I added all three services (phone, Internet, and TV). That was under the name of Scott [Edited: "Personal Information"] (My American dad). When he died in 2013 at the age of 55 (he was murdered by my ex-stepmother for his money, and she spread the rumor he died of a heart attack to cover up her crime), everything was transferred to my name. I then had to downgrade to phone service because all three services were costing me more than I pay in rent for my apartment which was eating up my funds! In 2019, I purchased my own modem, a Arris TM822G, as my phone bill was $70 amonth due to rental fees. Then in last year, I re-established Internet service, specifically starting with Internet Essentials Plus (originally my apartment complex where I live offered Internet service as part of their rent. Unfortunately on October 11, 2023 at 10:00 PM, they cut it off when they switched property management companies and service providers (they switched to Centurylink, whose Internet service was of poor quality and was not always stable, and they couldn't afford to keep running that poor quality connection for 56 apartments). In April of this year, I had to switch from Internet Essentials Plus to regular Internet Essentials, as the Affordable Connectivity Program stopped as they ran out of funds. I've always loved Comcast's services, as they're high quality and their clarity is 100 points!

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 month ago

... others have this same problem with Collected Addresses, where they "Select All", and the "Delete" button becomes marked as "Unavailable" ...

Apparently Comcast/Xfinity has no intention of changing this. In https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/problems-with-appsuite-collected-addresses/669e499f8c8da0745ade0376?commentId=66a95aba38e9a26c9e6cfb34&replyId=66aa7a4438e9a26c9e6d283b employee @XfinityGabrielS wrote that the ability to delete multiple address was removed:

... intentionally due to bad actors taking advantage of the feature to cover their tracks. 

Worse, each one-at-a-time delete requires a "Do you really want to delete this contact?" confirmation step, which slows down the process even further. So we have an email system which allows us to delete every single email with just a few clicks, but "protects" the address book by slowing the delete process to a crawl. This makes no sense to me, but that's where we are.

Contributor

• 

50 Messages

@BruceW​ "bad actors taking advantage of the feature to cover their tracks"? I'm confused! That makes just as much sense as a snake with no slither! Are you talking about dishonest characters who act like they know you, then change their email address every time they send you a new email, but the domain remains the same? For example: There's lots of names with the same email address [Edited: "Phishing Email"]. They talk about a "netflicks account" that I don't even have. They even spell it like "Net Fliiicks". What's their deal, I wonder? How do they even know my email address when I'm not even subscribed to their service? Worse still, they always send duplicates of their emails. One copy of course goes to my Spam folder where it should go, but the other ends up in my Inbox.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here