U

Saturday, September 7th, 2024 1:33 PM

Comcast.net email problems with Outlook

Let me start by identifying myself as an IT professional,so I'm pretty confident that the problem exists but have been uinable to find a solution.  My comcast accounts are all in Maryland, but I found that while in Florida I was unable to send/receive email using Outlook (O365).  I tried all the troubleshooting steps, and was unable to setup a new profile, either manually or through Autodiscover.  So I just signed into Xfinity.com and was able to retrieve and manage email.  When I returned to Maryland, Outlook worked without an issue.

Now here in Maryland, working with a Comcast.net email account linked to an address in Florida, Outlook suddently quit working on all computers in my LAN.  Disconnecting from the LAN and using my phone as a hot spot everything worked fine, as did connecting to a different LAN.  

So there is some sort of disconnect between a comcast.net email address, Outlook, the LAN, and the billing location for the Comcast account--but not always.  I'm reaching out to find out if I'm missing something ... thanks in advance for any information.  

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

10 days ago

I have had the exact same problem since Tuesday at my home in CA where nothing has changed other than an issue with the Comcast server and IMAP. After hours on the phone it was fixed on Thursday but then it changed again yesterday unable to receive email messages on Outlook. Waiting for a solution. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

8 days ago

user_uyizbq Hello and thank you for reaching out to us here on our Xfinity Community Forums. I appreciate the detailed background and understand how frustrating it must be to experience these email issues, especially as an IT professional troubleshooting across multiple locations. Based on what you’ve described, it seems like there may be a connection issue between your Comcast.net email account, Outlook, and your network setup. Since the problem occurs when connected to your LAN but not when using a different network or hotspot, it could be related to your LAN’s configuration or a specific setting affecting email traffic. Here are a few things to check:
  1. Network Configuration: Ensure there are no firewall or security settings on your LAN that might be blocking Outlook’s connection to the email servers.

2. IP Restrictions: Sometimes, IP address restrictions or changes in how your network handles email traffic can cause intermittent issues.

3. Email Server Settings: Verify that there are no specific settings or filters in your email server configurations that could be causing these disruptions.

If you’d like, we can look into these potential issues in more detail and review your account to ensure there are no additional factors affecting your email service. Please let me know if you'd like to proceed with further investigation.

Thanks for reaching out, and I’m here to help get this resolved for you! 😊

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

I still have the "unable to receive messages on my Microsoft 365 Outlook application via Xfinity" issue. It plagues both of my computers. I am able to send via STMP but cannot receive via IMAP.  After spending many hours on the phone with Xfinity they actually solved the problem 3 different times this week, but the issue then arose after a few hours. Since Outlook has worked for years, and I have made no changes, I believe the issue lies with the Xfinity server not communicating with my IMAP. I am again waiting for a call-back within 72 hours to solve the problem. 

P.s.: My wife has POP established on her laptop and has no issues. I don't feel comfortable moving to POP since I am unaware of exactly how to do that. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@user_b9fbc9 Thanks for sharing the email issues here in our community. Please circle back with an update. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

@XfinityChristy​ I appreciate the offer of support.  My understanding was that Xfinity wouldn't be willing to provide support for a problem with MS Outlook.  I'm answering your points belowL

1. Network Configuration: Ensure there are no firewall or security settings on your LAN that might be blocking Outlook’s connection to the email servers.

Outlook is working fine with my domain email; it's only the Comcast.net email addresses that are affected.  Also, the account worked fine for a number of months and then quit working on both my IOS and my Windows 11 machines. However, Outlook works find in other networks on those machines. 

1. IP Restrictions: Sometimes, IP address restrictions or changes in how your network handles email traffic can cause intermittent issues.

Signing into Xfinity.com  to check email works fine from that network.

1. Email Server Settings: Verify that there are no specific settings or filters in your email server configurations that could be causing these disruptions.

The email settings are the standard IMAP settings for Comcast.net, including the inbound/SMTP ports.  

Official Employee

• 

2.1K Messages

Thank you for clarifying those items, user_uyizbq! Do you see any specific error messages or codes come up with the email boxes at Outlook? 
Are the options for 3rd party email access checked at our Xfinity email website?
Do you have the email. safe list turned off (found under Settings > Advanced Settings in Xfinity Email)? 
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

hello, im having a similar issue. my comcast email worked perfectly fine this morning in Outlook (365) and now is having issues. i tried deleting and re-adding the account and now it won't even let me do that. it specifically says "we couldnt log on to the incoming (IMAP) server. please check your email address and password and try again". i literally logged online into that specific comcast email with no issues...

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

6 days ago

I just got this notification from Microsoft about third party email accounts and using Outlook application:

The safety and security of your information is top priority for Microsoft. To help keep your account secure, Microsoft will no longer support the use of third-party email and calendar apps which ask you to sign in with only your Microsoft Account username and password. To keep you safe you will need to use a mail or calendar app which supports Microsoft’s modern authentication methods. If you do not act, your third-party email apps will no longer be able to access your Outlook.com, Hotmail or Live.com email address on September 16th.

What do you need to do?

If you are receiving this email, you are currently using an email or calendar app that uses a less secure authentication method to connect to your Outlook.com email account. You will need to upgrade your third-party mail and calendar app to a version which supports modern authentication methods.

Microsoft provides free versions of Outlook for your PC, Mac, iOS, and Android devices which can be easily downloaded and connect to your email account. Using an updated version of an Outlook application will ensure you are connecting in the most secure way.

How can you set up your Gmail, Apple Mail, or other third-party mail application?

Various non-Microsoft applications will have their own steps for connecting to your Outlook.com email account using modern authentication methods. See our help article - Modern Authentication Methods now needed to continue syncing Outlook Email in non-Microsoft email apps. However, you may need to contact the creators of those applications to provide you with instructions. In many cases, simply removing and re-adding your account with the latest version of that application will configure it to use modern authentication methods.

(edited)

3 Messages

I am having a similar issue of not being able to use <comcast.net> email accounts when I am connected to my home office cable modem using the wired LAN ports.  I am running Windows 11, Outlook 365.  In my case, after getting a new cable modem from Business Comcast the Outlook 365<comcast.net> email accounts get through when I am on the cable modem using wireless 2.4G.  However, using wired lan ports <comcast.net> emails are not working.  What is different from wired versus wireless that would block <comcast.net> emails?  All other apps seem to be functioning properly whether wired or wireless connection used.  Something changed.  Did this issue come with the new cable modem, or was it a coincidence.  I don't have the original cable modem to test, it was returned to comcast.

3 Messages

I switched to Motorola/ASUS router using a different xfinity cable connection.  Same symptoms.  I can send/receive <comcast.net> using wireless 2.4g but cannot send/receive <comcast.net> using wired, so the issue is not due to new comcast busines cable modem.  All other email domains seem to be working wired or wireless.  Any ideas to resolve this issue?

3 Messages

I ran MacBookPro Outlook for Mac connected to Comcast Business cable modem without any issues, wired or wireless. I think this narrows it down to an issue with the Dell machine running W11, Oultook 365.  Strange.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

7 hours ago

I just fixed my issue with Outlook365 and comcast email. In my case Comcast required a password change to my account. I did this from the browser. When I went to my Outlook and it prompted me for the password it would not take, and when i re-entered it and selected to save it stopped prompting me for password but continued to fail. It appears that Outlook was not using this new password to revise my mail profile. I took these steps:

• Select File pulldown in Outlook
  • Select Account Settings button and then Manage Profiles
  • A dialog box will display : select show profiles
  • I only have 1 profile so i select properties button
  • Select email accounts button
  • Double click on your comcast account
  • Revise the password saved in this field and select to remember password checkbox
  • Select the Test Account Settings... button
  • You should see a successful test

Hope this is helpful.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here