creeble's profile

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

Thursday, August 1st, 2024 7:37 PM

Comcast incoming email blockage -- and Xfinity / Comcast support circus

Wow.  I'm four days into an "escalating ticket" circus at Comcast, and it's just getting more and more Kafka-esque.  Maybe they'll actually call back today.

FWIW, I am a Comcast/Xfinity home user.  But that has nothing to do with my problem.

The basics:  I have a mail server that runs a few small domains (a couple dozen users) that is being blocked by incoming Comcast mail servers.  Every other destination is working fine (including Outlook, Yahoo!, Gmail, etc); my server is being blocked only by Comcast.

At first, the problem seemed to be a (seemingly new) requirement by Comcast mail servers that the PTR ("reverse DNS") record match that of the "forward" lookup.  This was true for my IPv4 address, but not for the IPv6 that was often being used recently.  So I fixed that problem on my end, and the message received by my server when contacting any of the @comcast.net mail servers changed from a "551" error (a 'hard block') to a "421" error -- "ESMTP server temporarily not available".  This is a temporary error, which causes my mail server (anybody's mail server, really) to queue the messages and try again later.

But it's been two weeks, and I'm still getting a 421.

So I went to the Postmaster tools page for Comcast, which has a form for submitting my IP addresses and requesting them to get unblocked.  Which I duly filled out, with an explanation like the above.

I got back an email saying that there was no blocking for my IP addresses.  Which I know is patently untrue, as I can reach Comcast's mail servers and get a regular "220" response ("continue with sending mail") from multiple of my other servers, every single time.  So despite them saying that my IP addresses are not blocked, I can easily demonstrate that they are; as connecting on port 25 from any other server I have works fine, and connecting from my mail server returns "551" immediately -- there can be no other checks except for IP address, as I am unable to send any other information.

So I found the number for Xfinity "security" and, after much dumping of information, got them to create a ticket.  They promised a callback, which actually happened, and they took some more information.

Now, let me say right here that I can't blame the people who called for not understanding my problem.  They were simply trying to gather information in order to sort the ticket to the correct department and priority.  None of them had any idea what "connecting to port 25" meant, or really, anything having to do with my problem.  But I duly sent (via email) some scripts of me connecting to their servers via telnet, which clearly would demonstrate (to an email sysop anyway) the problem -- that my IP addresses are being blocked.  All I could hope for was that this would get sent to someone who knows what "port 25" means.

At some point, I talked to someone who said my issue (with a new ticket number) was escalated to "level 3 engineering", and that I would receive a callback within 24 hours.

After not receiving such callback in 24 hours, I called back with my ticket number.  After 15-20m, I got a response that they would definitely call back "in the morning".  Morning came and went, and so I called again.  Another 20m waiting on the phone while call center chatter went on in the background, and finally someone said that yet another ticket number had been generated, but this time they would definitely call back "today".

I've been very understanding and kindly to the multiple help desk people I've talked to, especially since there is little chance of them understanding my problem -- all I can hope is that they can "escalate" it to someone who does understand.  But it's just a classic "may I verify your Xfinity customer information?" circus every single time I contact them, then getting yet another agent who asks "so you cannot send mail from your Xfinity account?", and me gently explaining the problem further.

It will take some email sysop 10 seconds to delete my two IP addresses from whatever table their mail servers are using to block them.  Maybe that costs Xfinity $10 of his time.  In the mean time, I am going to call Xfinity every single day, costing them maybe $100's in worthless support time, until I can find that person.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

2 months ago

Hello @creeble, Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your day to leave a post on our community forum. Please check out Why is port 25 for email submission not supported? for more information.

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

Hi ChelseaB.  Thanks for the reply, but it just further demonstrates how Comcast/Xfinity support is clueless about what my issue is.  It's not your fault, you are attempting to answer questions as they come from subscribers/customers; that is not my issue.

Of course Comcast blocks outgoing port 25 connections from their subscriber's IP address; almost all ISPs do.  This is to prevent spam initiated on their network from reaching other mail servers.  My issue has nothing whatever to do with my consumer Xfinity connection; I post here because there is simply no other place to post, and no other forum/email/phone/anything for "sysop" communications with Comcast/Xfinity that I can find.

I'm talking about server-to-server communications:  A mail server on the internet (mine) contacting one of Comcast.net's email servers (as listed in the DNS MX records for comcast.net) on port 25.  ALL email over the internet works this way; SMTP is a fundamental service that accepts connections on port 25, validates those connections, and accepts mail only for the valid users on its servers.  Email has worked this way since the 1990s.

I can reach Comcast's mail servers on port 25 from my mail server.  I can reach them from several of my internet servers, in fact; connecting works fine.  But from my one mail server, I am always receiving a:

421 resimta-c2p-559799.sys.comcast.net resimta-c2p-559799.sys.comcast.net ESMTP server temporarily not available

instead of:

220 resimta-c2p-559907.sys.comcast.net resimta-c2p-559907.sys.comcast.net ESMTP server ready

as I do from any other server.  This is clearly because of IP blocking, despite the reply from Postmaster help saying that my IP addresses are not blocked.

See, for example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/130xckh/looking_for_technicalpostmaster_contact/

Once again, I received no call back from the "Internet Security" team regarding my ticket, so once again I will be calling them tomorrow to find out the status, after once again going through all the inane and irrelevant questions about my (personal) Xfinity account.

Official Employee

• 

743 Messages

Thank you so much for sharing all those details with us @creeble! I know this has been a frustrating process, and our Customer Security Assurance Team is going to be the best route to ensure we investigate the IP's and sharing any details with you directly. Can you please send us a DM to get started with us further?

Will you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?
~~~~
To send a "Direct Message" message:
• Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

9 Messages

I already did all this to report Marcus emails not coming thru but it only wasted an hour of my day just to get told nothing is blocked when everyone with a Comcast email is not getting emails. Argh. 

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

1 month ago

The comedy continues.

So I finally got a callback from someone in "email security".  They claim to understand the issue, have the email I sent showing the connection dialog, and would like to diagnose the issue.  Yay!

But they claim that there are no connections from my server to (presumably) any Comcast mail servers.  Well, I mean, that connection dialog in the email clearly shows a connection, so either they aren't looking in the right place, or they aren't actually logging all connections.

So this agent asks me to perform a traceroute from my server to theirs.  This is obviously an absurd request, for two reasons:

1) Their servers / network filter ICMP packets (can't ping any Comcast mail servers), so the traceroute is always going to fail, and

2) My server is clearly contacting their server because I get a connection, and a connection message.  A traceroute success or failure will prove nothing.

I try explaining this to the agent as clearly as possible, but he didn't seem to be getting it.  "I don't see a connection, so would you provide a traceroute" he says.  "I don't need to provide a traceroute, I am clearly connecting to your server" I replied, starting to lose whatever cool I might have had when we started.

I don't like correcting sysops that are clearly trying to help me.  "But if you are getting an error, a traceroute could help" he says.  "No, it can't -- the error I'm getting is from your server.  I don't know why you can't find my connection, but it's there, and the connection dialog I sent clearly shows it.  This is not a timeout error, or any other kind of routing error -- I am connecting to your server!  I am just getting an SMTP 421 response.  Do you know how SMTP works?"

Okay, that's maybe a little rude.  Except that he clearly didn't know how SMTP works, or he would have been able to identify the 421 resimta-c2p-559799.sys.comcast.net resimta-c2p-559799.sys.comcast.net ESMTP server temporarily not available error as clearly coming from their server, not some routing error that maybe a traceroute would be able to help diagnose.

Sadly, I wasn't near my computer at the time he called (I was at lunch), so I asked for his number, which he graciously gave.  I've been calling him back for the last 12 hours to no avail.

I'm sorry for getting a little upset about talking to someone who doesn't understand SMTP or even TCP when they represent themselves as a technician who can help with my problem, but there it is.  There is no amount of traceroute-ing that is going to help diagnose a problem that is happening when a TCP connection is already working.  It ain't a Layer 3 problem.

Anyway, the frustration / comedy continues.  I like having a place to vent; I'll update if I ever get through or get another agent; maybe one who understand SMTP.

9 Messages

Hang in there!!! I hope you figure out your issue. I’m ready to cancel Comcast altogether!!

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

1 month ago

The saga continues -- and ends?

So today, having not received any calls (once again) from Comcast, I called the Security Division again, with my ticket number.  Once again they authenticated me, then on hold for 10-15m while they look up the ticket and context.

They see that, indeed, the ticket is still open.  They promise to connect me to a "security level 2" agent, and I'm on hold for another 15m or so; fine.  I talk to someone who had to look the ticket up again (and authenticate me again as an Xfinity/Comcast customer), and they tell me that I will definitely get a call from the agent with whom I spoke yesterday.  Okay, well, two messages to his VM today, but whatever.

And sure enough, he calls about 15m later.  Authenticates me once again.  We talk.  He decides to call someone a little higher up, and get an answer while I'm on hold.  Great!  We're moving forward!

The person he spoke with recommended I check my (reverse) DNS -- "that's the message you get when your DNS isn't configured properly."

Except, no, it's not the message you get when your PTR record doesn't match your host name.  You get a 554 from their servers when this happens (ask me how I know).  Your connection also gets immediately dropped, which doesn't happen with the 421 response I get.

So he goes back to the Level 3 engineer or whoever it was, who seems to actually know something about email, and presumably elucidated him with this useful information.

And guess what he gets back?  "Wrong department."  I should be talking to the Postmaster people!  Like, at spa.xfinity.com, where I started by sending in my two IP addresses and asking for an unblock.  Over two weeks ago.  When they immediately sent me back a "they're not blocked" email.  He wants me to go there and send it again.

"Oh, please, please tell me that you'll keep the ticket open?" I beg.  "No, we need to close this ticket; it is only valid within the Security department."

I'm too much of a Stoic to cry, but it's not like I don't know how this Kafka movie ends.  Kafka wrote comedy, so I just laugh instead.

And now for the punch line.

So I head out to lunch, finally, with my coffee-shop laptop in hand.  I will dutifully fill out the Postmaster request form, once again, and give them my tale of woe.  Twenty-five minutes later, with my cappuccino in hand, I open a couple of terminal windows to my server to make sure I have the right IP addresses to report, and begin filling in the form.  I get to the last box, where I can make my free-form appeal, with no apparent limit on size; oh joyful day.  I once again want to copy and paste the exact 421 response I am getting from Comcast's mail servers, so I telnet in to a random one like I've done one or two hundred times in the last two weeks, and...

I get a 220.  I'm unblocked.

Huh.  No reason to push the "Review" button on the form, I guess.

Will I ever get an email confirmation of the removal of the block?  Yeah, right.  Will they contact me at all?  What for, it's working!  For now, anyway.

So I flush the queue, and two weeks worth of emails to a dozen or so @comcast.net email addresses go out to their servers, with no issues at all.

Is there a moral to this story?  All I can is that if you are an innocent serf-postmaster/sysop who is suddenly blocked from sending emails to @comcast.net addresses (and this forum seems to have many such cases), I have two words for you:

Good Luck.

And for all you @comcast.net customers (and I am one, or I could not be posting in this forum), please stop using Comcast as your email provider, and make the painful move to... just about anyone else.  You'll be happier, and so will Comcast.  Email is just cost to them.  And it cost them a lot to fix my issue.

9 Messages

@creeble​ Sooooo happy for you!!! Ok I’m gonna switch. Had enough of this BS. Can you recommend a good very secure email that is not Google? I really hate how they track you on everything. 

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

I have been using Fastmail.com for my main business accounts for the last six months. A friend has been using them for the last 10+ years. Their spam filtering is quite good, and I really like their webmail interface, which I use exclusively on my computers. I use both iOS mail (on iPads) and K9Mail (on Android) with them as well.

I don't remember at the moment what they charge, but it is nothing compared to the frustration you get with Comcast, and is comparable to Gsuite's $6/mo per address.

I have had very few issues, and they have been very responsive when I have had questions. They're an Australia-based company fwiw.

9 Messages

1 month ago

Basically got the same response. That domain is not blocked and that I needed to call back the sender to let them know. I’m just the email user. Why is it MY responsibility to resolve an email issue between two billion dollar companies because IT can’t talk to each other or Comcast refuses to dig deep and figure this out. Argh. 

Contributor

• 

22 Messages

It's not your responsibility,  but Marcus does "need" to go through all the steps I did, probably including a full round of calls through the Comcast "security" department. These are definitely the wrong people, but there is no one else to talk to, and by going through them, it raises their support costs by a lot - versus filling out a form that always returns a "not blocked" email. There is simply no way to contact the "correct" department other than the form.

I'm pretty certain that my lengthy runaround with "security" had some bearing on unblocking my server. It happened within 40 minutes of my last, wholly unsuccessful, "wrong department" conversation with them, which seems like it can't be coincidence. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here