Didjit's profile

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

Sunday, March 8th, 2020 9:00 PM

Closed

Can't connect Outlook 2019 to Comcast Email

I recently purchased and installed Office 2019 including Outlook.  I'm trying to set up Outlook but it refuses to connect to Comcast's servers.  My fundmentals are as specified:

Incoming: imap.comcast.net on Port 993

Outgoing: smtp.comcast.net on Port 465

I know that the connection should use SSL/TLS but that doesn't seem to work.  So now I've tried every combination of Encryption method (none, SSL/TLS, STARTTLS, Auto) and I've tried checking and unchecking "Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)".  None of it is working.

If I select SSL/TLS I immeiately get "We couldn't log on to the incoming (IMAP) server".

If I select None, STARTTLS or AUTO, after a long wait (minutes) I get "The connection to the incoming (IMAP) server was dropped."

I've also ensured Outlook is allowed by the firewall, and tried disabling the firewall altogether.

Any ideas?  Is it that the server is timing out trying to download all my email?

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

3 years ago

Same issue here it works in Thunderbird.  Literally using the SAME EXACT settings in Outlook 2019 and get the same results.  Appears to be an issue on comcast end.   I actually just fixed mine on the fly. Make sure Outlook updates/Office updates are installed.    Go to File, Accounting Settings, Manage Profile, Click Email Accounts under Mail Setup - Outlook and then click new, select manual setup or additional server types.  From here click next and choose POP or IMAP, CLICK NEXT.  Enter in Your name, email address, change account type drop down to IMAP:

incoming mail server:  imap.comcast.net
outgoing mail server:  smtp.comcast.net
Username:  your email
Password:  our password, click on more settings
Under Outgoing click check box for authentication to enable and click advanced and set the following:  incoming SSL/TLS PORT 993, outgoing SSL/TLS port 465
It works now!  :)  WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO  my issue appeared to be I needed to install updates for office and restart Outlook.  I also did this workaround as well (so not sure which fixed it):
right click start, click run, type regedit and click ok, hit yes on UAC, then go to the following path:
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Setup
Right click on the right side, new and create DWORD 32 bit. Name it:  DisableOffice365SimplifiedAccountCreatio
set value to 1
Restart Outlook
After these two methods my outlook 2019 works with my comcast email now!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here