U

Tuesday, February 6th, 2024 11:32 PM

Can't connect from Mac Mail to Comcast email

When I enter my password for my Comcast email account, I get the reply that it can't verify the password and account. I know the password is correct, because I can connect to email from my iPhone. I know that the IMAP and SMTP fields are correct. I don't know why the connection fails. Don't tell me to change my password and try again. I've done that multiple times. The connection from my phone continues to work and the connection from my Mac continues to fail. Is there any way to get help to solve this problem?

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

8 months ago

Try deleting the account from Mac Mail and re-create it from scratch.  Let Mail auto-configure it.  I'm assuming you are using Mac Mail?

2 Messages

I tried that. In fact when I did, I couldn't recreate the account. When I tried, it said that the account still existed, although it no longer appeared in Internet Accounts. After using someone from JustAnswer for hours, he was able to recreate the account, but when I try to connect to Comcast, I get the message that the password and account cannot be verified. I'm suspecting it's a problem with Mail, but when the JustAnswers agent ran out of ideas, he suggested I contact Xfinity. Good luck with that!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us on our community forums @user_syqu58! I see our awesome expert @Latoque also provided some good tips that can generally resolve this problem.

I appreciate you for confirming your tried those steps. Just to confirm did you use this article from our site and this one from Apple’s site to set up the email address with the mail app on your Mac?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

2 Messages

8 months ago

Having same issue with an iPhone 13.  Started in the last week. Deleting account, restarting phone ineffective at solving the problem. Comcast email is still accessible using a browser. (It would be nice if Comcast would at a minimum notify customers they are aware of the problem as it appears to be somewhat widespread — just a suggestion.) 

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hi, user_fg5o8i! Thanks for taking the time to visit XFINITY for help for getting the Comcast email to work with the Mac Mail. We can help. To provide our customers with additional security, we added a new checkbox to the Xfinity Email website. This may affect your ability to manage your Xfinity Email (Comcast.net) through a third-party program such as Mac Mail. The security setting is checked by default. You can easily change this setting at any time by checking the box and turning on access. Here's how. Please let us know if this helps.

1. Sign in to Xfinity Email using your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. In the top-right corner, click the Gear icon, then select Settings.
  3. Click Security.
  4. Uncheck the box under Third Party Access Security to prevent third-party programs access to your Xfinity Email, or check the box to allow access.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

4 Messages

Does not fix the problem. I can no longer get my email on my Mac or phone. 

Official Employee

• 

376 Messages

Hello @user_ahsjnu! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. Please send us a direct message with your first/last name and full address. You can start by clicking the "direct message" icon on the upper right page of the forum page. Once you click on that, input our shared handle "Xfinity Support" to send us a direct message. If you're signed in to your forums profile and because you have already posted to the public page, you should have the option to do so.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

I have the same issue today. Nothing works with the recommendations already suggested

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

sphino, Thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support. Please let us know if you are still having issues with your email. We would like to help. 

1 Message

3 months ago

Im having the same issue obtaining my Comcast email on my mac mail program - just started today 

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Hello, @user_qv92gm 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? To send a direct message:
1. In the top right corner, you'll see a little chat icon near the bell icon. Click the direct message icon 
2. Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
3. In the 'To' line, type "Xfinity Support" there. A drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list (an "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line)
4. Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
5. Press Enter to send it. An official employee, such as myself or whoever is first available, will respond. Thanks!

2 Messages

Having same problem! Been working at it for weeks. There is no chat icon near the bell icon.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

Yeah I've got the same problem. For some reason Xfinity/comcast.net email address has never worked on my Mac despite trying to set it up automatically, manually with proper ports & encryption settings. And of course the "Allow Third Party Access Security" option is checked within the email's web interface. I get same error as you guys "can't verify the password and account" even though I'm using the same saved password that I use to sign into the Xfinity email web interface.

Official Employee

• 

867 Messages

mgreenw331 Can you try using this link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email to see if this helps? 

Not applicable

• 

2 Messages

3 months ago

We Just lost yesterday,  All comcast email accounts on 2-iPhones, 2- iPads and 1- MacBook Pro.  2 different Comcast.net accounts over 60 thousand emails.. No apparent reason....

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I have the same issue on several apple products.  If I turn off the 3rd party apps toggle I can not get any emails from Comcast if I leave it checked and can not send emails trough the Comcast server. WHY

4 Messages

Seems like neither Apple or Comcast want to take responsibility for this. I don't see it ever being fixed.

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

@lchaney Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on our Xfinity Forums. Just to clarify, I understand that the third party app is not working as intended for you. Are you able to still send and receive emails via the Xfinity webpage?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

I cannot get Xfinity to send email on Mac OS mail. I was getting mail, until I deleted the account as was suggested in this thread. Mail continues to say "unable to verify account or password", when I try to create a new account on OS mail. I know the info is correct as I can log in through the internet. I can continue to get and send email on my phone through the mail app , but not my computer. Mac 14.2.1

Karl

4 Messages

You are lucky you can still get it on you phone. I can't get it on MacBook, iPhone or iPad. 

Official Employee

• 

867 Messages

artdog3 I would recommend to call into customer support, and ask to be transferred to our Customer Security Assurance (CSA) team. They are the experts that have been resolving this issue for our customers. 

Official Employee

• 

867 Messages

user_ahsjnu Are you having the password issues like everyone else currently? 

1 Message

IT IS SO HARD TO GET THE BOT to give you CUSTOMER SECURITY ASSURANCE!!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

user_nitk5b Our CSA team can be reached directly at 1 (888) 565-4329 if you have a concern they need to assist you with at anytime. I hope this information helps. 

4 Messages

2 months ago

I have the same problem. Won't work on the Mac (unable to verify account name or password) but works on iPad and iPhone.

4 Messages

I was able to resolve this issue. On my Mac Studio I do not use my router to provide my DNS addresses, I use cloudflare DNS. When I switched back to use the Comcast DNS servers I could add my account again.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Great! Thank you for letting us know and providing the resolution here as well. If there is anything you need in the future, please let us know.

4 Messages

@XfinityBenjaminM​ I rarely use my comcast.net email address and this is one of the reasons why. I should be able to use any DNS servers I want to instead of being forced to use Xfinity's. I'm just leaving it disabled as I can use my preferred DNS and check my comcast.net email on my iPhone instead.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

Thank you for the additional context and we appreciate your feedback.

2 Messages

2 months ago

I cannot connect to comcast email using my Mac

2 Messages

I've tried the 3rd party app settings.  Can someone please explain the DNS servers?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello, @user_u5spgh. I appreciate you making us aware you're having issues setting up your email using a third party email service. Please visit this link to match your email settings to what is listed on here https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email.

1 Message

2 months ago

I solved this problem in my own network configuration (might not apply to others). I have my home wifi router set to Cloudflare DNS. When I connected my Mac to my iPhone hotspot I was able to set up my account and sync my emails. When I put my Mac back onto my home wifi it stayed connected - no issues. Seems there is a credentials verification issue using Cloudflare DNS, but once the account is verified, the issue no longer persists for me.

4 Messages

I found the same thing with mine. It now works with the CloudFlare DNS.

2 Messages

2 months ago

I'm having the trouble too. I also can't add the comcast email account to my Mac. I tried deleting and reinstalling on MAc but didn't work. So I tried deleting it on Comcast website and it also failed. YIKES!

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hello user_kp3cqt have you had a chance to check out these articles Xfinity Set up Email and from Apple specifically? And have you ensured that Third Party Email Access is enabled in settings via Xfinity Connect? 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 month ago

Comcast is terrible. I have had to help 4 customers so far with this same issue.  In one case, changing the password from the web interface and re-entering it on the Mac worked.

In another case, Changing the password from the web interface worked to receive e-mail on the mac, but would NOT send e-mail. I had to turn off automatic configuration and manually enter port 465 with SSL on and password authentication selected. Yikes.

In yet another case the web interface works, but neither SMTP or IMAP on the Mac OR iPhone work.  This has to be a comcast issue. There is no other possibility.

Hope something above helps? Let us know if you figure out a solution.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Also!  I found another potential problem. This is if it isn't working for you at all.

If you sign into the web interface, there is a "Security" option to enable third party Apps. If this isn't turned on, NOTHING WILL WORK.

I'm not sure when they added this, but for one customer, logging into the web interface and then enabling third party apps (under the gear or settings in web mail) then waiting 15 minutes fixed both the phone and the Mac,

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

@mjoecups​ 

Also!  I found another potential problem. This is if it isn't working for you at all.

If you sign into the web interface, there is a "Security" option to enable third party Apps. If this isn't turned on, NOTHING WILL WORK.

I'm not sure when they added this, but for one customer, logging into the web interface and then enabling third party apps (under the gear or settings in web mail) then waiting 15 minutes fixed both the phone and the Mac,

They added it several years ago.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

1 Message

1 month ago

I am having the same issue, this is beyond frustrating! Can someone provide me step by step instructions on how to connect via Cloud DNS? I even tried my hotspot and I still couldn't get the mail to work. I've had MAC's forever and the same email address for over 20years!

@xfinity - you need to figure this out and help us!!! This is unacceptable!!!

1 Message

Same issue. This is maddening.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Greetings, @user_ec5pv0! Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave a post on our community forum. I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your email account, but you have definitely come to the right place for assistance.

I was not able to find any information about connecting via Cloud DNS, unfortunately. It may be past our demarcation point, or it may be listed under a different process name in our system. Here are the step-by-step instructions we have listed for MacMail:

To connect to MacMail with your Xfinity email address, follow these steps:
1. Open MacMail on your device.
2. Go to Preferences and select Accounts.
3. Click on the "+" sign to add a new account.
4. Enter your name, Xfinity email address, and password.
5. Choose IMAP as the account type.
6. Set the Incoming Mail Server to **imap.comcast.net** with port **993** and SSL on.
7. Set the Outgoing Mail Server to **smtp.comcast.net** with port **587** and TLS encryption.
8. Click Add Account to finish the setup.

For more details, refer to the official Xfinity support page for MacMail setup at https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello, @mikeg0305. I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing the same email issue with your Mac account. Have you checked the IMAP and SMTP fields to make sure they are correct?

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am also having this issue!  I also enabled 3rd party apps,  (I have had this email for 20 years and why it decided to change now who knows), and changed passwords (this has happened before and that worked). I also deleted the accounts and tried to add them back.  I know I have the right password as I can log into xfinity and I just copy it over.   I AM SO FRUSTRATED.  You cannot talk to someone.  How am I supposed to get stuff done?????  I have been a customer for 20 years.  I feel like dropping you with so little support.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hello hroruser we thank you so much for taking the time to reach us via our Community Forums and adding your experience on this thread. We'd like to connect 1-1, so we can look at the email setting on our end. 

Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, clicking on the pen and paper icon, and then entering “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address, and I'll be happy to help.

1 Message

8 days ago

Same problem here.

Xfinity support is no help.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Hey there user_5gf6g6, thanks for reaching out to our Forum. I'd love a chance to work with you more to find a resolution. Let's get on the same page, can you please provide me with some background details regarding your concerns?

1 Message

7 days ago

Same problem here.  Can access email on my iPhone and through xfinity's webmail, but not in my MacBook's Mail app.  I spent about an hour texting with an xfinity rep in another country.  No fix.  Then tried calling xfinity, again got someone in another country.  No fix.  Both times, after describing in detail the problem, each had me login in to xfinity's website and access my email there and said "great, can I help with anything else?"  I explained, again, that I'd had that capability all along, but neither seemed to grasp the difference, or at least not address the difference, between accessing email through webmail and accessing from Mail app on my MacBook.  I need email for personal and professional use.  I've had this email address since 2008, but feel the need to change providers and start fresh.  It's just too challenging to get skilled support from xfinity, and too much relies on functioning email.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

user_vgo6a8 I noticed some users have had to disable, and reinable Cloudflare DNS to get email setup back up. Do you have a Cloudflare DNS setup?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here