seberman's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Monday, April 6th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Can't add Comcast email to Mac OS

I'm posting for my dad. The problem began last week when he stopped being able to send email from his Comcast.net account on his MacBook Pro. Changing the SMTP server settings wasn't helping, so I tried a troubleshooting suggestion of deleting the mail account with the intent of immediately adding it back. This turned out to be a huge mistake as I have been unable to add it back to his Mac. I've tried restarting the computer multiple times, changing the password on the Xfinity site, I've tried to add it via the Mail app and I've tried to add it via System Preferences/Internet Accounts. It just thinks and thinks and thinks and then says (after 20+ minutes) "cannot verify username or password." I KNOW the username & password are correct. At one point after many tries I was able to add the account on the Mail app but it would only add as POP, not as IMAP, which was annoying, but he was prepared to live with it. However, that also stopped working and I deleted it thinking at least I could add the POP account back, but now I can't add it as POP or IMAP no matter what I do. I've also tried deleting a bunch of Mail settings in his Library but that hasn't worked either.

Meanwhile, the Comcast email (IMAP) works perfectly on his iPhone.

Is this a Comcast problem or an Apple problem? Admittedly his computer is about 10 years old, but everything was working fine until last week.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--Jennifer

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Helo,

not sure if you figured it out but if you change the setting from imap in incoming server to POP it should give you access to your emails. 

Expert

• 

29.6K Messages

4 years ago

@seberman wrote:

I'm posting for my dad. The problem began last week when he stopped being able to send email from his Comcast.net account on his MacBook Pro. Changing the SMTP server settings wasn't helping, so I tried a troubleshooting suggestion of deleting the mail account with the intent of immediately adding it back. This turned out to be a huge mistake as I have been unable to add it back to his Mac. I've tried restarting the computer multiple times, changing the password on the Xfinity site, I've tried to add it via the Mail app and I've tried to add it via System Preferences/Internet Accounts. It just thinks and thinks and thinks and then says (after 20+ minutes) "cannot verify username or password." I KNOW the username & password are correct. At one point after many tries I was able to add the account on the Mail app but it would only add as POP, not as IMAP, which was annoying, but he was prepared to live with it. However, that also stopped working and I deleted it thinking at least I could add the POP account back, but now I can't add it as POP or IMAP no matter what I do. I've also tried deleting a bunch of Mail settings in his Library but that hasn't worked either.

Meanwhile, the Comcast email (IMAP) works perfectly on his iPhone.

Is this a Comcast problem or an Apple problem? Admittedly his computer is about 10 years old, but everything was working fine until last week.

Thanks for any suggestions.

--Jennifer

Comcast email is IMAP compliant by default.  If you add the account to Mac Mail and let it auto-configure the account, it should work.  Is your Dad still using a 10 year old version of Mail?  What version of the OS is he running?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

The same thing is happening to me. It started about a month ago.  Mac is old (2011).  Apple says it’s an Xfinity issue and Xfinity says it’s an Apple issue. Very frustrating. Now I have no email account on either my iPad or Mac but my iPhone email still works.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Problem solved - FINALLY!  After going back and forth with Apple and Comcast for two weeks, it turned out to be an iMac problem. After deleting my comcast mail app and not being able to reinstall it, an Apple guru decided to check for malware. He installed a Malwarebytes app (free version) and it detected 68 issues. He moved those to a quarantine folder and deleted them later.  He then was able to reinstall my Comcast mail app and my emails repopulated immediately.  I am now able to send and receive email!  So relieved!

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Dear Jennifer,

I have the exact same problem.I have been on phone with Comcast level 1, level 2 and level 3...they do not have a clue and do not know about the issue.....they told me to contact Apple......I went to Apple support on phone....they told me to upgrade my OS to Big Sur....I did that and have the same problem....then I went to Comcast/Xfinity store at mall and they said they do not do technical support but gave me a link to a document about changing some settings...... but document is for MacMail Ver 7!? Thanks a lot, I have version 14!

I followed the instruction and it had something to do with POP and IMAP and etc. I tried everything all different ways and no change in Comcast not verifying my email address and password.

I go the the Comcast website and use their mail app. I also have a Samsung phone that works just fine. 

I have 2 email address with Comcast and the 2nd one (I only use for backup) is working fine....I have even deleted my second address and added it back and it gets verified just fine! No one at Comcast will take responsibility and they all act like they never heard of this issue. I think I have spend a total of 3 hours on the phone with Comcast during 6 calls.

It happen suddenly...there was a message on my screen that said "enter email address and password to verify and since then it has not worked........and I think it is coincidental with Comcast changing their mail program or server....I could not get a straight answer from Comcast rep at mall but got a weird look on the lady's face and she mumbled something about Comcast is really not happy about 3rd party mail apps and doubts their security...."Comcast is very concerned about email security!" she said as she handed me the outdated document.

Here is link: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/update-pop3-110-995

Comcast is worried about APPLE SECURITY? LOL!! I asked her if she had a virus protection on her Microsoft computer and she said yes.....I said well, I have a MAC BOOK PRO and I don't need to protect it, so who's secure?

I plan on going to the Apple store on Monday. I will let you know what I find out. Best, Max 

Expert

• 

29.6K Messages

3 years ago

@user_e0101a 

Please start your own thread.  You are replying to a year-old thread, and it's being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here