tony_w's profile

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

Tuesday, July 18th, 2023 2:55 PM

Closed

Cancel service, keep email access

I have read the various support articles about keeping access to my Comcast email accounts after I cancel all my services, but I have a question:

All the support articles specifically say that in order to keep the email accounts (primary and secondary) active, "the email accounts must be accessed using the Xfinity Email website".

My question is, do I have to access the accounts using the Xfinity email website at least once every 90 days? Or is it enough to login to my accounts with my email app (ie. Apple Mail) at least once every 90 days?

The support articles also say that I have to access the email accounts in the 90 days prior to cancelling my service. Once again, do I have to do this on the Xfinity email website, or is it enough to have been constantly accessing my email accounts using a third party app (ie. Apple Mail) during the past 90 days?

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

10 months ago

@tony_w 

I have read the various support articles about keeping access to my Comcast email accounts after I cancel all my services, but I have a question:

All the support articles specifically say that in order to keep the email accounts (primary and secondary) active, "the email accounts must be accessed using the Xfinity Email website".

My question is, do I have to access the accounts using the Xfinity email website at least once every 90 days? Or is it enough to login to my accounts with my email app (ie. Apple Mail) at least once every 90 days?

The support articles also say that I have to access the email accounts in the 90 days prior to cancelling my service. Once again, do I have to do this on the Xfinity email website, or is it enough to have been constantly accessing my email accounts using a third party app (ie. Apple Mail) during the past 90 days?

To be on the safe side, I would say access your email accounts every 90 days or so on the web interface.  You can still use your email client, but just log in to the website just in case something happens.  Quite a few people get locked out because they forget to go to the website.

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

@Again​ Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear, but good to know.

Do you know if there is an expiration date for continuing to use email after cancelling your account? I guess Xfinity could decide to cut off access to former customers at any time, but has it been known to happen to anyone yet?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

10 months ago

... 90 days ... I guess Xfinity could decide to cut off access to former customers at any time ...

You may want to check out https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-activity. Also https://www.xfinity.com/terms/web/, which says, among other things in section 23, "Special Note about Comcast Email for Users who are not Xfinity Internet Subscribers":

... Comcast may modify or discontinue the Email Service at any time ... Comcast may suspend or terminate your access to the Email Service if you have not used the Email Service at least once within a nine-month period. ...

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Contributor

• 

72 Messages

10 months ago

... Comcast may modify or discontinue the Email Service at any time ... Comcast may suspend or terminate your access to the Email Service if you have not used the Email Service at least once within a nine-month period. ...

Yep, I saw that too. I just wanted to know if they have ever actually pulled the plug on former customers' email accounts before (for something other than a tos violation). I know the terms say they =can=, but have they ever?

Also, as I said before, I know about the need to keep the accounts active. What I was asking was if I have to use the Xfinity website or if simply logging on and checking my email with a 3rd party app is enough. So far it sounds like nobody is really sure, and to be safe I should go ahead and use the website at least once every 9 months for each email account. I cancelled most of my Xfinity services back in December, keeping only a basic TV service, and my email accounts have been working fine. I just now logged into all of them on the website so I should be good for the next 9 months. It's a PITA, but at least I don't have to do it often.

BTW, thanks for the tip about using "Comment" instead of "Reply". That seems backwards to me. I always thought "Reply" would notify you that a reply had been posted. Silly me. :)

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

10 months ago

@tony_w 

My understanding is that you have to sign in using the webmail interface to keep the account active.  Just using a client like Thunderbird or Outlook will not suffice.  I am kind of in a similar situation.  I recently moved to a new service address in another state, and so far my old Comcast email addresses from the old account are still working.  But because of all the research and testing I do because of my work here in the forum, I sign into those accounts frequently anyway.  Time will tell. 

A suggestion------if you use an online calendar like Google, set yourself a periodic reminder to sign into your account so you don't forget.

As an aside, Comcast began the policy of letting former customers keep their email accounts only about 4 or 5 years ago.  Prior to that if you cancelled service you lost access to the email.  As far as I know, Comcast is currently the only large ISP that has this policy.

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

10 months ago

... "the email accounts must be accessed using the Xfinity Email website" ...

I should have said before: although you can keep your @Comcast.net address, it would probably be best to begin migrating to one of the (often free) email only providers like Outlook.com, Gmail.com, Yahoo.com, etc. That way you won't have to change your email again when your ISP changes, and you won't have to wonder what Comcast might get up to in the future.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

8 months ago

i guess its happening to me now. i have two emails one i use all the time and one just for the service. service was canceled two years ago due to me moving to arkansas. xfinity is not out this far. tried to log into my email i use all the time. locked out. logged into service email to get unlock keycode, wont load the email. stuck in loop. scared someone hacking accounts. 

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

@Snoloh​ 

i guess its happening to me now. i have two emails one i use all the time and one just for the service. service was canceled two years ago due to me moving to arkansas. xfinity is not out this far. tried to log into my email i use all the time. locked out. logged into service email to get unlock keycode, wont load the email. stuck in loop. scared someone hacking accounts. 

How have you been logging in to email?  Through a third party email program like Outlook or Thunderbird, etc?  Or have you been logging in through the website?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

1 Message

same happened to me.   I cannot access my secondary email at all and keep getting caught in a loop.  Now I'm concerned all my activity on the website in my primary account will change my primary account settings...because of Xfinity's "looping"    If my secondary email address is "gone" how can I reactivate it?

Official Employee

• 

331 Messages

@user_c9jfna

If you're afraid your account has been hacked I'd be happy to help. Please send us a direct message with your full name and address.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here