J

13 Messages

Monday, December 18th, 2023 8:15 PM

Can not connect to Incoming imap server to receive emails in Outlook

I have chatted twice with agents online and all I am told is that there is a problem and they are working on it. First it was give it 24 hours. I did...Outlook did connect once and I got a couple of emails...this was yesterday. This morning we once again return to not being able to download new emails into Outlook. Now I am told give it 4 more hours or call in for support. Calling requires sitting on HOLD for almost an hour. There is ZERO communication from Xfinity as to what the problem is or when it might be fixed. This all happened after Xfinity REQUIRED me to change my password. What is going on and why is there NOTHING online about what is going on?

2 Messages

8 months ago

Thanks its driving me crazy.  Nice to have an update, sad it comes from users not Xfinity.

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

Thanks for your comment @user_amu967. We'd like to help. What specific issues are you currently experiencing?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

30.9K Messages

@user_amu967​ 

Thanks its driving me crazy.  Nice to have an update, sad it comes from users not Xfinity.

Just want to remind you:

Yes, we have Official [Corporate] Employees here, and yes, they do know about the 3rd party check in Security in webmail.  However, the Community is for users to share not only problems but solutions that worked for them.  This is what makes this place a Community.

And I will tell you from experience that the OE's here [the same ones also work in Reddit, Facebook, and X] have so much knowledge about how things work I'm often blown away.

So, three cheers to other users who are able to help out in the Community when they can!  It's what we're all about!

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Please mark an Accepted Answer!tick

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

I am having the same basic problem. 3 days ago I changed my password because I was told of the breach and the need to change it. Now. I cannot get any comcast/xfinity emails through my PC Outlook desktop, or on my iPhone while using my home ISP (my PC is direct connect to the LAN, and WiFi does not work for just Outlook when running through my phone). I can access it on the Xfinity website, but that is a major pain, especially when the Outlook app works better for me. I can also access my xfinity email though my phone's mail app, but only when I am off WiFi, or away from home. Not even my phone's Outlook app will allow access when at home. Clearly this is an Xfinity problem with the way Outlook communicates to Xfinity, and clearly this is a direct result of having to make changes since the data breach. I would very much like to know when Xfinity will find a solution. And before Xfinity tells me to make sure the settings are correct,...they are. It is set on imap, the incoming port is 993 and outgoing is 465. Outlook keeps telling me to enter the user name and password, and my phone mail client tells me the user name or password is incorrect (yet only when on my home ISP). Can we fix this communication error please?

1 Message

8 months ago

This just started happening yesterday....what the heck is going on Comcast?

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@user_eo2lu3 Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you for reaching out so we can make sure you're able to set up your Email. Please review the settings here to make sure everything on your end matches.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

These Official Xfinity Employee responses are completely useless.  Everyone knows how to add their Comcast.net email account.  It simply does not work.  There is no mystery.  Comcast.net email backend is broken.  Fix it and quit with the inane responses.

1 Message

8 months ago

I am having this same issues. I am a former XFINITY Customer and have used this email for well over 10 years. I have tried chat with customer service to no avail. Whenever I use outlook it keeps asking me for my IMAP password. Xfinity's website reads that FORMER CUSTOMERS can still use the email system as long as we log into the online email service. I do this at least three -five times a year. Today it began asking for my IMAP Password.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

I've been in the same boat as you but now have reliable email on all of my devices.

I am also a former customer who moved out of the comcast service area.

I am suspicious that Comcast is blocking certain accounts that they haven't vetted since their breach occurred.

I'd try going to xfinity.com and resetting my email password.   I know this is a pain because you will need to reconfigure each of your devices, but it may get you beyond any intentional block.  Their system may decide that you're not a bad guy after all.

Then check that web mail works.

Then reconfigure your devices and see if they work using outlook.

No guarantees, but it fits the scenario that I went through before my email resumed working.

BTW, in my case comcast/outlook worked if I was connected via cellular, but not when connected to my local ISP.  You might try that experiment....set up your phone as a wifi hotspot and connect to the internet through it.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

user_p3mk97, Thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support. I am sorry to hear you are having issues accessing your email. Try going through the steps shared here. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email

7 Messages

8 months ago

I cant even speak to tech support. My three PCs and my smartphone cannot connect to the IMAP server. It's a Comcast network issue. The Xfinity web email is working, and we are still receiving emails. 

What is the issue and when will it get resolved?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

8 months ago

I recently changed the password for my Xfinity Account while using my laptop. I noticed that I was not receiving email on my android phone after the change. I checked the Outlook login on my phone and it still had the previous password. So I attempted to update the password on my Samsung android phone. When I hit the checkmark to update the settings on my imap email I receive the following message, "Login Error" "The connection to your mail server timed out. Please check your mail settings". I did this several times And got the same message. I then uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled it but still got the same Login Error message. I was using just a home screen finger swipe for security to unlock my phone. So I changed it to a 6 digit code lock. I then started Outlook and went to setting to add my Xfinity account. The app found my Xfinity email address and I selected it. Next, the two choices popped up in a window, imap or pop3. I chose the imap filled in the account info and after a short time asked if I wanted to add another account. I answered later and my Xfinity email populated the inbox!! I then went back to the phone settings and changed the screen lock back to a finger swipe and still works. I can only think it is a security thing when changing passwords for the mail account. I don't think I saw any information regarding this on a Xfinity site. I hope this may help someone in the future.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

8 months ago

I fixed mines.  You need to log into the web email first.  then go to the gear in the top right to get into your settings.  Then click on Security .  Find the settings to turn on 3rd party access security.  Then go back to outlook and try again.  It wont let me upload a pic. but i hope that helps.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

@djaypinoy​ Good point!  3rd party access is turned on on my accounts, and my machine has not been problematic recently.  I remember checking this setting late last year, but I don’t remember changing it on multiple accounts that are currently working.  Perhaps it doesn’t always default to ON?

13 Messages

@djaypinoy​ That was not the problem as that was already checked on my account and had been for a long time.  My Outlook has now been working for a couple of weeks, which is good of course, but I changed NOTHING to get it to work. Eventually, Xfinity fixed whatever there issue was. Just so disappointing that they don't own up to their issue, whatever it was.

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

@djaypinoy We appreciate you taking the time to provide the steps on how to ensure third party access is toggled on. This link will also provide those steps, as well as screenshots.

Official Employee

• 

785 Messages

Good Morning,@crollman​! We really appreciate sharing those details regarding 3rd party access being on. It certainly helps with the possibility of it not be defaulted on for the troubleshooting steps. Have a wonderful rest of your day! 

1 Message

@djaypinoy​ Thank you.  This was exactly my problem.  Bewildered that its a setting that not one Xfinity customer service representative knew.

1 Message

8 months ago

I "hopefully" fixed my issue by logging into Comcast email online, then go to Settings, Security, remove checkmark for Third Party email, then recheck. Once I did that, everything downloaded to my Outlook immediately.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

We're you able to also send email out?  I believe most folks are having sending issues related to IMAP.  Receiving email doesn't seem like a problem, but sending is the trouble spot.  I've done what you've suggested multiple times to no avail.  I do notice a sending window of opportunity that opens roughly around 7PM EST for maybe an hour or two.  Just starts working and then quits. So annoying.  Thanks for your testing and input. 

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hello @user_j9sjr6 This is great news! Thanks for sharing your fix. I am checking in to verify if your email issue is still resolved. 

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us here @getnoldfast. If you are still experiencing issues with that email service we would be happy to look into that for you. Could you send us a direct message with the full name and complete address for your service? 

To send a direct message [private message]:

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

8 months ago

Heads up to all........

This problem seems to have roots in the Comcast security breach that occurred in December.

I subscribe to a couple of identity theft monitoring services.

I received notification this week that my Comcast email address and password have been exposed on the dark web.

I suspect this is a result of that breach.   Changing my password should have blocked any damage, however I am going to change my password again in order to be doubly sure that it hasn't been exposed.

Official Employee

• 

893 Messages

Hello, @crollman if you have any concerns with your email being compromised, our great CSA (cusotmer security assurance) agents can be contacted either at 1-800-XFINITY (934-6489) or here https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

7 months ago

Like many of you, i am a a long-time customer of comcast/xfinity. I am having the same trouble connecting outlook to the comcast mail servers. I have tried everything mentioned in this forum's string, including all of the instrucitons found onthe xfinity support site. I can access mail via my iphone and the xfinity app. I am very disappointed in the lack of support we as customers are recieving from comcast/xfinity based on what i am reading in the forum.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

7 months ago

I have two routers, one rented and one owned.   When I recently had a recurrence of the inability to send email, I swapped routers.  Both are configured with the same SSIDs so I can do this just by unplugging one and plugging in the other.   This fixed my problem instantly.

This is consistent with a report by someone else that the problem appears to be with Comcast rejecting certain IP addresses.  As I understand it, changing the router's MAC address (by changing routers) forces a fresh IP address to be assigned and avoids the problem at least for a while.  

After a couple of days I swapped the routers back to the original setup and the good performance continued.  Presumably this is because the old IP address was not reassigned to me.

Also, I've seen evidence that Comcast starts rejecting outgoing email if it sees too many failed email password attempts.   If true, the problem with this is that you've got to be very careful to take all your email devices off line first before changing passwords, and then bring them back on line one by one with the updated password.   Otherwise the devices that still have the old password can try repeatedly to use it, and get you kicked off the Comcast outgoing server.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Hey @crollman, interesting observation on your part.  I've had this issue since December 11, 2023.  My only question has to do with my situation.  The one head scratcher for me is that at approximately 7PM EST, a send window opens for about 90 minutes and any email sitting in my outbox waiting to send or if I create a new message, as along as it is in that time window, it sends.  This happens everyday as far as I can tell.  I make no changes to anything in any device or settings area.  It just happens.

I do have another router so I may try that and report back.  Thanks for the good idea.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

7 months ago

Same exact issue with the same steps taken, this is unacceptable.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

6 months ago

Looking at this thread, it appears that this problem has been going on for sometime and not FIXED!  I to have issues with Comcast connecting to Outlook.  On my Phone it sometimes works but mostly says "Updating" and that bar never goes away.  On my computer it wont send my emails and puts them into the Draft File.  Just when I don't think an email was sent, I'll get a response from the intended person I emails and they did get the email???  I have tried many things:

1. Deleted Outlook and reinstalled

2. Reset my Comcast account

3. Did this on both the iPhone and my computer

I know this is a Comcast issues as Outlook works fine with my business email on both my phone and computer.  The only way I get real time updates on my comcast email is if I log into Xfinity online and everything work.  The problem is Comcast's interface with Outlook.

PLEASE FIX THIS AND LET US KNOW WHEN IT"S FIXED@!

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello @monker, thank you for taking the time to reach out on social media.  I understand your concern with Outlook, and I'd like the opportunity to check into that for you.

To access your account, will you please send us a direct message with your full name and complete service address to “Comcast Business”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forums page.

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary
  • Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page)
  • Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
  • Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list
  • Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
  • Press Enter to send your message

5 Messages

5 months ago

Same issue.  I have tried 2 different VPN products, and the same issue happens with both.  So tiresome.  Too bad there is not a solution.

7 Messages

5 months ago

All,

I have an update and insights for your information.

I have a Dell desktop that came preconfigured with 2016 MS Office Home and Business (Version 2403 Build 16.0.17425.20176 64-bit)

My connectivity issue has been ongoing for 9 months. It has only gotten worse in 2024.

I have worked with my third-party ISP (rural - last mile wifi service only), Comcast tech support, MS Windows tech support, and MS Outlook tech support.

Folks point fingers at one another without clear insight into why the issue is happening or how to resolve it permanently.

This worked only for a short time

• Changed Xfinity login password
  • Go into the Xfinity web app, go into email settings security, and uncheck the "Third-party Access Security", log out, log back in, recheck the box, log out
  • For my 2016 Dell desktop, I run a quick repair, sometimes a full online repair, as my version of Outlook behaves differently than my newer laptop or my smartphone
  • Refresh inbox; then I'm good until the next Comcast IMAP access issues surface

Earlier this year while performing a full MS Office online repair, a new version of Outlook was downloaded to my PC. I now have two. The newer version is 1.2024.501.300 (Production) and has been configured with my Comcast email IMAP account.

I now can attest that my older 2016 Outlook application is the problem, as I compare the two inboxes daily, and the new version is always up to date and has no IMAP connectivity issues. At one point, MS Outlook tech support created a new Outlook profile for my older application, and stated the issue was it was corrupted. The new outlook profile solved the problem for two days, then reverted.

To make my 2016 Outlook connect to the Comcast IMAP server, I have to run a quick repair (sometime more than once) and or send an email to myself to kick-start things. I don't see a permanent fix available to us. 

I wish I could remove the 2016 Outlook application and then do a reinstall. I'm told this is not possible.

My 2016 Outlook has 8 different email accounts: (2-Google Gmail, 5-MS O365, and my Comcast IMAP) for business and personal. The new version of Outlook does not support this multi-account model, so I am left working on two applications.

Best of luck to all, and hopefully, someone will come up with a solution.

5 Messages

What I am not understanding is why Comcast and Microsoft do not collaborate with each other to provide a solution?  Each company blames the other.  Get over it.  Those of us who have Comcast and who use Microsoft Outlook simply want a solution.  I am not understanding why this takes more brain power than what Comcast and Microsoft has.  

Noteworthy is that no representative of either company will post a meaningful reply.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here