jhidley's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, August 12th, 2021 11:41 PM

Closed

Comcast e-mail server probably sending utility e-mails, such as PG&E, to the SPAM folder

The above is partly an assumption on my part. I use Outlook as an e-mail client. I rarely check my e-mail on the Comcast website. Over the last two months I have not received several important e-mails. These include bill notifications from utilities such as PG&E, the local water company, etc. Some of the e-mails have documents attached as bills, some do not. They just never arrived. Given that they are coming from different e-mail servers, I really, really doubt that five different companies out of the blue decided to forget to send me an e-mail notification. For about the last month, I have been opening the Comcast web based e-mail software. Several times a week I find e-mails in the Spam folder which are not Spam. All of these are from sources which I normally received e-mail from multiple times a week. I've tried selecting them as "not SPAM". It doesn't seem to change anything.

It seems very likely that the Comcast e-mail filter moved the important e-mails to the SPAM folder after which they were deleted in one week. Checking the Comcast website twice a week is not an option. From my Internet research it appears that Comcast doesn't offer a white list feature. The third sticky at the top of this forum implies that there is one, but all of the comments I can find on it say that it doesn't work. It is impossible to get in touch with anyone at Comcast who can provide actual Tech support to get this fixed. Are there any other options, besides turning off the Comcast server e-mail SPAM filter, then filtering all of the e-mail with Outlook?   

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

3 years ago

Twice a week? Try twice a day. Comcast has started routing emails from several church-related email lists (e.g., from "church-list@churchname.org") to Spam. The other day it sent the check-in link for a medical appointment from our healthcare provider to Spam. Yet some emails do go through, and some (not all) obvious spams get filtered out. There is no rational behavior going on here, and I believe it only started fairly recently. I spent an hour talking to tech support, with a guy who definitely knew what he was talking about. He promised to look into it, and I'm sure he will. But basically, his response was "the filters and algorithms are working as designed; tell the people sending you email to contact us." I'm almost ready to stop filtering spam, and set up filters in Thunderbird, since much  more non-spam is getting filtered out than spam. Except that means setting up filters on the email apps on our phones too (which have at best rudimentary filter capabilities). A lot of work to get a service we pay big bucks for to work right.

Edit: Also, a couple of times when I've selected a dozen or so emails in Spam and marked them Not Spam, I've watched them leave the Spam folder to go to the Inbox -- and then get popped right back into Spam. I select and mark Not Spam again, and so far they stay in the Inbox after that.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

Hello @jhidley, I also receive my bills through email. This issue would drive me crazy! Could you please send our team a private message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this email issue.

To send a Private Message, please click on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon, and then type or select "Xfinity Support" to initiate a live chat.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

3 years ago

Aldrik,

I clicked on the chat icon in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the bell icon. Where do you want me to type "Xfinity Support"?

I've tried typing it in all of the visible fields, but I don't get a response.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

3 years ago

To send the requested information in a private message to Xfinity Support:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person", but don't do that.

Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there. As you are typing a drop-down list appears.

• Select "Xfinity Support" from the list. An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter or tap the > icon to send it

See https://forums.xfinity.com/conversations/email/cant-create-a-new-email-address/605e52b726aa974d63032d02?commentId=606107ea738c7f46a02b830e for an example.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

3 years ago

You can prevent mail from going to SPAM by adding that address to your COMCAST email contacts. You will need to use the webmail site to do that. Adding it to something like Outlook or similar will not work as it's the Comcast mail that is putting it into SPAM before your mail software can even see it.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

@andyross , maybe and maybe not. I tried that with several addresses that were having random emails sent to Spam, and it continues to happen. There are multiple reports of this solution (the only one Comcast offers, apparently) just not working. I assume it's working for you and some others, though. Again, random.

Contributor

• 

145 Messages

3 years ago

I've been having the exact same problem for months, and have not found a solution - marking the valid utility/bank emails as "not spam" sends them to my inbox, then my desktop email client downloads them, but it only works one time - the next time I get an email from those companies it goes right back into the spam folder - this is maddening, especially because I don't get the "pay this bill" reminder emails I set up at my bank. The way Xfinity email server spam filters work, their rules get applied first, and no further rules are processed, so you can't try to write a rule to redirect a valid email out of the spam folder - once it's in there it's stuck unless you manually mark "not spam". Why Comcast cannot resolve this simple issue is a mystery - the cynic in me says they don't care, but my bank has over 200,000 members, Comcast is the only ISP here, so every one of those customers cannot get online banking alerts or confirmation emails - how you can ignore that is beyond me - and my utility company has MILLIONS of customers. My utility sends emails from a variety of email addresses, to it appears Comcast is just filtering any sender if it includes "BGE" in the from address.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

3 years ago

I got a call from an Xfinity tech/security guy today (888-565-4329), and got some excellent information, based on his careful examination of all the email traffic from a problematic list that came to me.

Each email sent out to the list seemingly generates a separate list or group; that is, each email has a different IP address from the last. Comcast's spam defense provider uses those IP addresses as its filter. Some of the addresses are known to have bad reputations as sources of spam.

The reason it doesn't always work to add the list to your Comcast contacts is that to Comcast's system everything is not coming from listname@organization.org, but from those separate IP addresses. It would be better if all of a list's emails came from the same IP address. Then that address could be added to one's Comcast contacts and the emails would be allowed.

I hope this may be helpful to others. I don't know if you can ask a utility to stop doing this, but it could be worth a try. I remain convinced that Comcast, or its spam service, started doing something different in the last few months that caused this to start happening. It shows a serious weakness in the reputation model of spam filtering; or else in whatever model it is that sends out emails from the same source using different IP addresses.

Contributor

• 

145 Messages

@DavidKR Good to know, not that it will help - I'm not going to be able to convince my utility and bank to use a specific IP address for all email they send to me, and the emails from my bank should be unique to me, not part of a master list (IOW no BCC's). I'm quite familiar with blocking spam by IP address or IP blocks, and agree Comcast definitely changed their algorithms over the last few months and blacklisted some IPs that should not have been targeted as spammers - IOW, claiming an entire block of IPs are spammers because of the actions of a few bad neighbors is a shotgun method when a sniper rifle should be used instead. Why we can't whitelist a given domain or namespace is beyond me, unless it's because they think we're all too stupid to even know what this stuff is, let alone know how to use the info. Given the dumbing down of OS's and browsers over the years, I can almost guarantee you that's the case - most millennials don't even have a tablet, let alone a desktop PC.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here