J

Wednesday, March 6th, 2024 5:01 PM

When will WiFi calling be available on the Samsung Galaxy S24?

I recently (mid February 2024) purchased a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra from Xfinity to replace an iPhone XS Max. The cell signal at my house is terrible - often no service, near windows a half a bar or so. So my wife, daughter, and I depend on wifi calling which on the iPhones has always been working fine. But it is not working on the S24.

I can enable the feature in the settings, but if I don't have a cell signal, it will not send/receive calls or SMS messages - gives the message that "Your phone's not registered on a network, so you can only make emergency calls." I have been through the Xfinity help a couple times, resetting networks and getting new eSIMs, but to no avail. Finally an agent was able to find this: https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/device-troubleshooting?page=device/samsung/galaxy-s24-ultra/topic/wi-fi/enable-wifi-calling-for-call-and-messages/1 - the relevant part is:

• To use Wi-Fi Calling, a number of requirements must be satisfied: Use the SIM card that was provided by your operator with your Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra to ensure proper compatibility with all available features or services. You need to be within range of a Wi-Fi network. Click here for instructions to switch on Wi-Fi and search for available Wi-Fi networks. Note: with XFINITY Mobile this service is currently not available.

So that answers the issue of why it isn't working. My question now is, when is it expected that wifi calling will be available for on the Galaxy S24 on Xfinity Mobile?

Another question - why would Xfinity sell a device that isn't compatible with its own network? This is obviously very frustrating - the S24 is an expensive phone. In theory the information was available to me if I had been dilligent enough to seek it out - but I had assumed that wifi calling would be available on any device that Xfinity sells - since preferring wifi over cell is the selling point of the service and why they can offer low prices.

So I leave this here, hopefully with enough keywords for other users in similar situations trying to figure out why their new S24 isn't working as they thought it should. You are not crazy! Maybe this will raise some awareness within XFinity to do what needs to be done to get this working for their customers.

Official Employee

• 

244 Messages

4 months ago

At this time we do not have a date or confirmation if WiFi calling will be available on the Galaxy S24. 

While I don't have an answer as to the "why" behind it not being available, I can speculate that with the recent updates and changes to the OS, the S24 may be unable to WiFi call with any network. I have the S23 Ultra and when travelling abroad WiFi connections helped for internet usage, but network calling had far better connectivity than WiFi calling did. The abilities of each model of phone is not maintained by Xfinity but the network connectivity is which is why the coverage for calling is huge along with access to millions of Xfinity WiFi hotspots while on the go. 

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

Then why do I get wifi calling on my S24plus?  It's scrolling across on the top right now.

2 Messages

@XfinityXanadu​ - there is plenty of evidence that the wifi calling on the S24 Ultra works on other carriers. I don't think Samsung would put out their flagship phone with a universal defect. iPhones can use wifi calling on Xfinity - so it isn't some mysterious, unknown problem. I'm not saying it is necessarily easy - but it apparently isn't a priority for Xfinity and Samsung to make it work. So I'm just putting this out there to try to raise the priority to get it addressed since the lack of wifi calling functionality directly affects me at home, which is where I spend the majority of my time.

Official Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

@JoeBok, I understand your concerns and can definitely get this information passed along to our Xfinity Mobile development team. Since we do have limited access to help with Xfinity Mobile issues/concerns at this time, I would strongly suggest reaching out to our Xfinity Mobile department directly, to see if they can provide you with more support or insight on this. You can contact our Xfinity Mobile support center through any of the following methods: 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here