Visitor

• 

12 Messages

Sunday, February 11th, 2024 1:00 AM

unlock phone

I have an Xfinity phone that was a display phone. It's paid off and has never been on assigned to anyone's account. Customer service says because I'm using the phone on a BYOD account they can't unlock it. All the other carriers Verizon, ATT, T-mobile can unlock phones but Xfinity says they can't. I would think the IMEI number shows up somewhere that someone can unlock it?

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

5 months ago

I bought the phone from a reseller on eBay. As I said it was a display model and never on an account. My 2 Xfinity lines are BYOD. Customer service tells me they can't my phone. I did one new phone from Xfinity and I know it's as easy as unchecking a box to unlock it. It seems the issue is they can't find the phone but I would think it's in the system somewhere because it is an Xfinity phone. I'm not looking to leave Xfinity I would like to have it unlocked to travel internationally and not have to pay for Global Pass every time. I see on some other posts the Xfinity Mobile Executive Resolutions Team was able to assist. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Official Employee

• 

966 Messages

Thank you for reaching out to us here @9365. If you were not able to get that resolved with the Mobile team at the https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile site we can submit an escalation from here to have a Mobile team member look into that for you. Could you send us a direct message with the full name and complete address for your service? 

To send a direct message [private message]:

Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

5 months ago

@9365  We appreciate your time in working with us via DM. I know that we weren't able to provide you the answer you were looking for. When you purchase a device from a third party and need the device unlocked, the original owner of the phone would need to be the one to contact us to have the device unlocked. 

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

I understand you are just following policy and the policy that is the problem. Verizon, AT&T, T-mobile will all unlock phones as long as they are paid for.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

I checked with the reseller and they get phones in a lot. I have no way of finding out who originally bought the phone. I assume it can NEVER be unlocked? Terrible customer service. The Policy needs changed to follow the other carriers. If the phone is paid off it should be able to be unlocked. I would switch carriers if I had an option.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

@9365, I completely understand your frustration. This is definitely not the type of experience we would like for any of our customer, especially when you've already paid for the phone. The policy was set to help prevent the reselling of lost/stolen phones. Hopefully, you can contact the seller and get a refund or another phone that's already unlocked.

In the meantime, is there anything else I can help you with? How are your residential service working out for you?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

I understand the purpose of the policy and I completely agree if the phone is reported lost or stolen it should not be unlocked in fact it should be blacklisted and disabled. My concern is a phone not reported lost or stolen and paid off should be unlocked as all the rest of the carriers are. Not trying to give you a hard time just venting. And no I can't get a refund.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

We could still submit a ticket with our Executive Resolutions Team for this, @9365, just to make sure we've covered all the bases. It's entirely possible they will not be able to unlock this type of phone, but they would be the best authority on what the policy includes.

If you could send our team a new direct message with your full name, the name listed on the account (if different), and the service address associated with your account, I'd be more than happy to look into this for you.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

3 months ago

I agree they said they could not give me the PUK unlock code and to go to T-Mobile where I was before I did a BYOP deal with Xfinity Mobile, but T-Mobile said they could not unlock it either?

Problem Solver

• 

449 Messages

3 months ago

The lesson learned here, and for all those reading this post, never purchase a phone online that's locked. Make sure the posting lists it unlocked. And if deceived, return immediately for your $ back. Carriers hands are tied with this. They have no way of knowing it the phone you bought was lost or stollen.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here