U

Friday, September 27th, 2024 4:02 PM

Switching number associated with a phone purchased on a promotion

I have had Xfinity Mobile residential service for about 5 years now.  Several times I have purchased new phones during a promotion that required porting in a new number, most recently the Spring/Summer of 2022, then after 90 days, switching the SIM with an existing phone that I wanted to upgrade.  I would then inform Xfinity Mobile of the switch, and they would update their back-end systems to reflect this change.  Xfinity support told me, that as long as 90 days had passed since the new phone was added to my account, this was fine, and the promotional discounts continued normally through the remainder of the 24 month purchase period.

Last year(2023) I helped a Non-Profit switch to Comcast Business Mobile, and they picked up 3 new iPhone SEs on a "Free" promotion.  When they asked Comcast about switching the numbers associated with some other phones on their account to these new phones, they were told that doing so on their own(swapping SIMs) would void future promotional discounts on those phones.  They would have to take the old and new phones into a Comcast store and have a rep in the store do the swap in order to maintain the promotional discounts.  Is Comcast really preventing customers from doing this on their own now??  I can possibly see where phones with eSIMs might require a store to be involved, but not with phones with SIM cards.

Along similar lines, I have some Cellular ATAs that work great with Xfinity Mobile SIMs.  I have an older phone, that is paid for, with an active Xfinity Mobile SIM, that I just take out of the phone and put into the Cellular ATA, and voila, I can make and receive calls using the phone number associated with that SIM.  This has come in very handy when diagnosing problems or testing to see if a Cellular ATA is a good solution for a particular situation.  Would using the SIM from one of these iPhone SEs that are still being paid for, cause problems with the future promotional discounts?

Thanks in advance!

Official Employee

• 

574 Messages

9 days ago

I can't see how performing a physical swap of the SIM like you've been doing would affect future promotions for the device, however, performing a device swap for the SIM in our system would require the device to be paid in full to be able to make changes, to my understanding. I am unsure how the ATA device is functioning when swapping SIMs as you mentioned. 

10 Messages

Hi Brad,

I can tell you that I have switched the numbers associated with phones on a promotional payment plan several times in the past 5 years by swapping SIMs then calling customer service and having them change the number in your system, and never had to accelerate payments or lost the promotional credits.  As I stated above, the last time I did this was in 2022, so it would be good to know if Comcast's policy has changed since then and this is no longer allowed.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

user_83xh4l  As long as the account stays active, and you have the phone on the account, the promotions will not go away.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

10 Messages

Thanks William for confirming that policy has not changed.  Can you confirm that this is true for both Business and Residential Mobile accounts.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

We do have teams that routinely maintain both the residential and forums articles @user_83xh4l. Both services require residential or business internet to be eligible for their mobile services. According to an internal article for our residential services (last updated 8/7/24):

Because you have other Xfinity Services, you are not paying a monthly $25/phone line access fee with your Xfinity Mobile service.

The internal article for our business services was last updated on 5/22/24 stating:

Comcast Business Mobile customers who disconnect all of their Comcast Business TV, Internet, or Voice services but keep Comcast Business Mobile will be charged an additional $25 per-month, per-line fee.

It would appear both residential and business services just require a subscription to one or more post-paid service to avoid the fee. The specific service can be internet (not NOW Internet), cable, landline, or security.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here