U

Saturday, June 29th, 2024 1:21 PM

IMEI not compatible

Does bring your own device really work? I purchased a Galaxy S23 FE phone from Samsung  in Dec 2023 and added it to my Xfinity plan, replacing a Samsung Galaxy 9. It worked OK, but the phone type is still showing as a Galaxy 9 (?). I purchased another Samsung Galaxy S23 FE, again from Samsung and when I tried to add it to XFinity mobile network I got the message, "Unfortunately your device is not compatible". The in-store Xfinity agent was not able to add the phone to the network. XFinity DOES sell the Galaxy S23 FE, so I don't understand why it is not compatible.  I returned the phone to Samsung and I'm awaiting a new one, thinking it was just a problem with the phone itself. In the meantime, I checked my own Galaxy S23 FE (originally purchased through Samsung) that IS working on the Xfinity mobile network and got the message, "Unfortunately your device is not compatible".   So, did XFinity all of a sudden stop the bring your own device program, or is the program a scam? I would have purchased the same phone through XFinity, but the phone is $200 more at Xfinity compared with Samsung.

Problem Solver

• 

491 Messages

3 months ago

@user_r2824c You should reach out to Xfinity Mobile support for assistance. I've seen many other posts regarding this issue. Phones that should be compatible reporting as not. Seems like a problem with their IMEI checker database not properly working.

SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968

Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968

Chat:  https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

2 Messages

@DreamSayerZ​ Thank you. I am going to figure out how to open an escalation case and do exactly that!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

3 months ago

user_r2824c Hello and happy Monday. Thank you for reaching out via our Xfinity Community Forums. To ensure your device is compatible, you can easily check the IMEI number on our website. A ticket with our XM team is the correct path if the IMEI number does not reflect the correct information. If you encounter any issues or have any questions during the process, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're here to help and make the transition as smooth as possible for you.

2 Messages

@XfinityChristy​ Hi Christy, and thank you for your response. Sure enough the second Galaxy 23 FE, purchased from Samsung directly showed that the device was not compatible and further, and your system indicated that the device was not even a Samsung product. How can I open a ticket with the XM team? I spoke with them on the phone and was dismissed, I was told "Tech is aware of the issue with the Galaxy 23 FE not working- give it 24 to 72 hours".  I was also told, "If it still doesn't work, you can buy a phone from us, our sales are starting in about a week!" Is there an email link to start the escalation process. I've spent hours on the phone or through the chat system, not sure it's worth the $200 savings to buy through Samsung, but I just don't think it's fair to advertise you can bring your own when you can't. Thanks for any information.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you for reaching back out to us @user_2e52f2! We do offer the option to bring your own device, however, the device must be compatible with our Xfinity Mobile network. Not all devices meet the network requirements to be compatible. We apologize for the confusion if it had seemed any device can be used. On the Bring Your Own page on our website, the first step to make the switch with your phone is seeing if your phone can work on Xfinity Mobile. We also provide this link here to check compatibility. 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look. To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there
 - As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list
 - An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

24 days ago

I have an iPhone 15 Pro and it tells me the same thing. Their checker is garbage. I fully believe they are just trying to bait and switch people into buying a phone from them instead. “Oh… oops… looks like you will have to buy from us instead… and lose the discount for BYOD… sorry”

1 Message

7 days ago

It's true - the same thing appears to have happened to me. I was so excited to activate my new phone too. I bought an unlocked Samsung S23FE at Best Buy in Chicago yesterday. I think there is a restocking fee but either way I might just keep the phone and switch to mint or boost today. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here