G

Thursday, April 18th, 2024 10:46 PM

Add line for onboard nav system

I have a By the Gig account. Will I be able to add a line to use in an Android (not Android Auto) head unit for my car? It's a 4G mobile device that takes a Micro-SIM card, just like a phone or tablet, so it should be compatible. The question is whether Xfinity will support it? I don't have it yet, so I don't have an IMEI number to try with Xfinity's online compatibility tool. Has anyone gone through this procedure with Xfinity Mobile?

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

830 Messages

6 months ago

GMPNW Can you please send us a DM. You can start by clicking the chat icon located in the top right corner of your forums' page when signed in. Once there, you can direct your messages to "Xfinity Support." Please add your full name and service address to help us locate your account. Let me know if you have any questions. 

2 Messages

I finally got a chance to stop in at an Xfinity store and was told the answer to my question is Yes. He said the line would provide an Internet connection but no phone, which I didn't understand but I wouldn't use a phone number anyway. I expect he was as knowledgeable as anyone I might reach through Chat.

The manufacturers of these head units wouldn't provide cellular capability unless at least some providers were willing to support them, so I'm going to hope Xfinity is among them. This might be an Android head unit-only issue; I believe mainstream head units require a phone always to be present for CarPlay or Android Auto, whereas Android head units are independent devices that can either support CarPlay or Android Auto or operate on their own. I'm still learning about them.

Problem Solver

• 

502 Messages

6 months ago

@GMPNW Probably best to contact Xfinity Mobile to see if this can be accomplished.

Official Employee

• 

830 Messages

6 months ago

GMPNW Thank so muhc for provciding that update. Please let us know if there are any other questions we can help with.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here