xf_user1's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

Friday, March 15th, 2024 1:07 AM

Closed

xfinity cameras ethernet wiring

I have a bunch of XCAM1 cameras and was wondering if there is a way for me to connect them into the network via ethernet instead of streaming wirelessly?  I still have the original pigtail connectors with the jacks labeled 'power' and 'gateway'.  Is it possible that I could backhaul these right back to an XB8 (or, preferably, an unmanaged switch connected to the XB8)?  Or would I possibly need to backhaul them to a switch with POE capability?  (If the latter, managed or unmanaged?)

Note:  one of the primary reasons I am interested in the backhaul approach is because of the recent news articles related to thieves using wi-fi jammers to block wi-fi surveillance cameras.  Example:  https://ktla.com/news/local-news/police-warn-of-thieves-using-wifi-jamming-tech-to-disarm-cameras-alarms/ 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

7 months ago

Hello u/xf_user1 Warden, thanks for reaching out for help with your home security setup. The adapters you have should be used only during the activation/provisioning process. The cameras themselves are not designed to be run other an Ethernet connection. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

15 Messages

@XfinityRyanE​ ok.  Does xfinity offer any cameras that can utilize ethernet?

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

xf_user1 all our cameras connect to our Xfinity Home system with a wireless connection. You can take a closer look at the cameras we offer using the following link. I completely understand your concern about the Wi-Fi connection. Your best bet would be to take a closer look at 3rd party cameras that connect with an Ethernet cable. 

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/home-security/devices/cameras

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

7 months ago

A tech that was here a few weeks ago said that a Y connecter was needed. I have the BX7. He said to use port 4 on the back of the router. But I don’t think the ICamera1 does not have good night vision or is able to record 24/7.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here