user_BJV712's profile

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

Monday, February 26th, 2024 9:18 PM

Xcam2 use with alternate internet provider

I recently had a an opportunity to get a new security system through my insurance company and dropped the Xfinity home security. The new system did not include cameras. I have been able to continue using the xfinity cameras and viewing them through the xfinity app. However, I am now switching internet providers. I know you can set up the cameras to connect to another wifi connection and I followed the instructions to do that using the new provider wifi connection. However, when I access the xfinity app it displays the camera as offline. I have rebooted both the xfinity gateway and my new provider gateway and no change. I am wondering if viewing the cameras via the xfinity app is only allowed with xfinity internet? Or if there is something I am doing incorrectly?

thanks

Official Employee

• 

772 Messages

6 months ago

@BJVoght Glad you asked! For our Xfinity Home app and system to work you would need our router and service active.

1 Message

So you make us buy the camera and when we switch service. We are unable to use that camera, but we can keep it. But then you charge us per box to use for the t. V per month and we can't keep those make it make sense

1 Message

I was just told by customer service that since we own the cameras we can set them up to view live without service? I am not able to complete this task but this is what I was just told.

otherwise I think this was a shady way of doing business for sure. This is one reason I may never return to xfinity or its sister companies.

1 Message

1 month ago

Wow. I was told the same thing in store by many employees and can't find a way to make them work outside the Xfinity app. The Xfinity Home app is no longer supported. Would have been Half the price to buy an actual camera system but they talked me into it anyways. Now I have a bunch of paper weights that look like Xfinity cameras I guess. Very disappointed with Xfinity as a whole. Just turned in my internet box for the last time. No more playing trouble shoot, no more Xfinity assistant [Edited: Language], no more Indian tech support having me look for a reset button on the outlet plug that don't exist, on the cameras them selves yes, the plug no, they told me it was defective and I'd have to buy a NEW one, and came home with more. Honestly if anyone reads this before buying the cameras from the [Edited: "Inflammatory"], I saved you! The only Xfinity employees I liked are the techs that came to the house but even they couldn't fix the inconsistency issues.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

780 Messages

Dewski1994 thank you for using the Community Forums page. I understand the frustration associated with your Xfinity Home service given the experience you have detailed. Do you still have this equipment in your possession now?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

@Dewski1994​ I just turned in my Xfinity router and tried to turn in my cameras. I specifically asked if they can work with my att internet. The guy blatantly lied to me. Frontier is worse though 

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

1 month ago

The xfinity cameras will only work with Xfinity app or the Home app. You can have a different router now. I cancelled my Home subscription and kept the $10 fee for recording and moved to Self Protect when I added the Xfinity video doorbell. I don’t honestly miss the Home protection or the touchscreen. The killer for me is the yearly price increase on the fee part of the bill. In 2014 when I got all the xfinity services except for the mobile phone my bill was $250 with Home and some premium channels. Before i cancelled my bill was $350 with Home and recording. I like my package and my internet speeds but i just couldn’t see pouring that much money every month into it. With the Home Pro package there was always an outage and cameras were blinking. It just got too frustrating. It seemed that the touchscreen and the network it was on was always having problems and the techs had a hard time keeping it connected. I honestly haven’t called for tech services since I cancelled Home. But I have no problem with my cameras now. You can only view them from the security tab on the Xfinity app. The camera viewing is better than the Home app in that it shows motion, pets, vehicles and you can drag the timer on the top left and right to see time lapses better than the Home app. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here