PA_WOODCHUCK's profile

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

Friday, March 8th, 2024 12:30 AM

WiFi Camera operating range

I'm considering adding xfinity security camera(s) to our home. Outside cam would be about 40ft from cable modem router(Motorola MT8733)

What is realistic range as I maybe also mounting a came on detached building about 60ft from router

Last year I tried a well know WiFi system that was advertised as 300ft range, but kept losing connection.

thanks

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

6 months ago

Hi there, @PA_WOODCHUCK Thank you so much reaching out to us with your question. The range can vary but typically it is about 150 feet depending if it is a direct line of sight.-Richard

Contributor

• 

46 Messages

6 months ago

thanks for reply, since some will be mounted outside I presume reception should still be good. "direct line of sight"... what about walls?

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

I have two outdoor cameras. They both work fine given the weather. Temps in the single digits cause them to go offline. They are both about 35 feet from the gateway. One is plugged in outside and one is plugged in inside in an unheated garage and mounted outside. The camera that is plugged in outside usually has problems in the single digits. It can require a reboot even though it’s protected by a porch roof. The camera plugged in the garage and mounted on the trim above the garage door sits right in the weather (rain and snow) hitting it and never has a problem. They both get a signal through either a block wall or a brick wall. I’d have to say that the Xfinity cameras get a better Wi-Fi signal than the Ring doorbell does.  If a tech can chime in on this, I’m wondering why the xfinity doorbell does not show up on the Home app but shows up on the touchscreen and the Xfinity app? Also, are there any plans for wireless cameras?

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

How your home is built could have a factor on the Wi-Fi signals that the camera would receive, think of it the same way the Wi-Fi works in your home it depends on how your home is built since the Wi-Fi signal actually comes from the power base that's plugged into the wall for the camera, the closer you have that to your modem or Wi-Fi router better connection the camera will receive.

My home is older and built with plaster and does not get a good Wi-Fi signal in the basement so my camera that is in my basement the power adapter is actually upstairs so it's close to the modem as I had to drill through the ceiling  to run a longer extension with ethernt cable

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

Hello @Lkpolo, thanks for reaching out and sharing your experience on this thread! 

Currently, the doorbell is by design only mean to view live video from your smartphone or tablet using the Xfinity app or from the X1 platform (X1/Flex customers only). Xfinity Home customers can also view live video from their Xfinity Video Doorbell on supported touchscreens. Sadly I do not have a better explanation as to why it has that specific restriction, other than that's the apps it was designed to work with. 

For the camera, we sadly don't have a timeline or roadmap for introducing completely wireless security cameras. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here