CCHALL's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, January 13th, 2024 6:27 PM

Closed

What is the correct sequence to RECONNECT Xfinity cameras after installing a new network

I have a difficult home to get great wireless coverage (lots of additions, old 1800s framing).  To resolve some network Double NAT problems I have installed a NETGEAR Nighthawk cable modem to replace my XB8 and using three Netgear Orbi Satellites in AP mode for a single mesh network.  I am now getting 6-800mbps speeds and great mesh coverage.  I have also changed my network names and passwords in the process.  The last part of "getting back to normal" is getting my home security back online.  I called Xfinity tech support to get into the tech menu of my touchscreen and connected it successfully to my new network.  The cameras however are not behaving.  I have tried the reset button on the power block with no success. Was getting a constant blinking amber light.  l I have rebooted and unplugged the cameras several times.  I did get some progress by pressing the reset button on the back of the camera and then going through the process of updating the wifi configuration.   I am only testing this with a couple of cameras for now... At this point I have two cameras connected to my wifi (I can see them in my connected devices list in my Orbi app). The cameras that are now connected show solid blue lights but do not seem to be communicating to the Security display panel and in the Xfinity app show as Offline.  I have tried unplugging these cameras, rebooting them through the app and also rebooted my Security display.  So am I missing a step or do I just need to....

1. Reset all of my cameras (using the button on the camera) 

2. Update wifi configuration on the cameras using the Xfinity app  (AS MY WIFI NAME AND PASSWORD HAS CHANGED)

3. Guessing here.. Delete all of my cameras and re-add them as new cameras (touchscreen or app???)

Not sure about step 3... looking for suggestions????

TIA!

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

9 months ago

UPDATE.. so after about 4 hours or so.. the cameras that I did reset finally connected to display panel and were viewable from the Xfinity app.  I went through this painfull process with my other three cameras. Painfull because I had to get up on a ladder to reach difficult peak areas and spin the camera to push the tiny button. My guess is I will be back up there again to realign the camera position.  Every camera update acted a bit differently. So I would...

1. Make sure after you push the Camera button for 20 seconds.. when you get back inside to the power brick it must be blinking white not amber.... if it is blinking amber.. unplug the brick for 10 seconds, plug it back in and wait 2-3 minutes. If its still blinking amber, go back and push the camera button again (never had to do this a third time)

2. Once blinking white.. go through the Xfnity app settings for the camera to update the wifi settings

3. Not all cameras behaved the same here.. some connected right away, others I had to uplug and try several times. In one instance where I had three bricks plugged near each other I had to connect one camera at a time.

4. Once they were all connected and I could see them in my router's device list.. I went to the security panel and followed the menu to reboot the display panel.  It then becomes a waiting game for the cameras to connect to the panel and the Xfinity app

5. Lastly back up on the ladder to realign the camera views

Throughout this process.. I never had to push the button on the back of the brick... I would be great if that feature would reset the camera for outdoor Xfinity cameras.  My problem here was twofold.  I did replace my XB8 wifi router with a Nighthawk so I had to get my security back on the network. The bigger problem was that I changed my Network password and that is somehow stored on each camera.  Best if luck if you have to go through this process, it tries your patience.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

@CCHALL Thank you so much for sharing the steps that worked out for you after making those network changes. I'm sorry that it took so much effort with needing to physically access the devices again. We have some wireless cameras that we us in addition to our home security, and it's always a task to access them. Fortunately our Xfinity cameras happen to be easy to access. If you ever come across another issue and need help please know that you can create a post here or contact us for immediate help in our customer service forum. Those posts are routed to us quickly, so we can address urgent matters. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here