John3758's profile

Gold Problem Solver

• 

6K Messages

Friday, June 3rd, 2022 10:35 PM

Closed

Thinking of buying my own modem, does XH still need a Comcast provided router?

I know that used to be the case years ago, but I haven't really been keeping up with the technology advancements of the Xfinity Home product over the past several years. I have the "Pro Protection" plan with a touchscreen, keypad, etc. The touchscreen is the very old black one. Or can the newer touchscreens connect to a personal wifi network instead?

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

729 Messages

2 years ago

@John3758, That is a question I haven't heard in a long time! The short answer is yes, you are just fine to buy your own modem. The touchscreen is going to have a spot on the settings and you can add your new network there if you change anything. The only thing I can suggest for sure is to go in and at least test the connection to make sure it's working when you do get the new modem. If you have any additional questions, feel free to reach out! 

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

@XfinityJosephB​ with a customer owned modem, do customers loose any or certain features from the Xfinity app? Such as pausing devices, Advanced Security etc? I have an XB7, I do quite like it, I’m just curious. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

6K Messages

@skyfox23​ Yes, you would lose those features through the Xfinity app, however if the modem you buy is a modem/router combo unit then it may have it's own equivalent features via it's own app.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

6K Messages

@XfinityJosephB​ This seemed to be correct! Bought my own modem (MB8611) and kept my previous router. While the touchscreen has no way to connect to the new wifi network in any of the menus, a quick 6.5 minute call to support was able to access the hidden menu with the passphrase provided by support. Just a heads up for anyone curious, the old touchscreen I have does not support 5 ghz wifi, only 2.4 ghz. Not sure if the newer models support 5 ghz or not. But now that I've changed over to my personal router, it looks like a new menu appeared in the menus so I don't need to contact support if I change my wifi info again.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here