Plowe's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, January 9th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

Re: Router with security system

Can I connect other things to that router

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

You could but that router’s output is limited to 100 mbps or less. I’m not sure what @RobertWy is referring to.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Plowe wrote:
Can I connect other things to that router

If you do, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition for those "other things". 

Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls.

Contributor

• 

477 Messages

4 years ago

I have Xfinity Home with the BX6 router.  It was my understanding that Xfinity home is on a separate network thru the router. If you have that router, there are two internet ports and two phone ports. One of my internet ports goes to my sound system as it's not WiFi capable. Is that similar to what you're thinking?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

The OP is referring to a separate Netgear router for those that either have another ISP or modem in bridge mode and have security installed

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy
The OP has yet to state their modem but since they have a security router it’s safe to assume that either they have their own modem or a different ISP. The more you know...

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@RobertWy wrote:

My XB6 has an internal modem that XHome connects to.  No need for the extra modem.

I think you mean no need for the extra router not "modem" ?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here