Re: Router with security system

Can I connect other things to that router

Responses

CCAndrew

Diamond Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 y ago

You could but that router’s output is limited to 100 mbps or less. I’m not sure what @RobertWy is referring to.
EG

Expert

• 

86.6K Messages

1 y ago

@Plowe wrote:
Can I connect other things to that router

If you do, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition for those "other things". 

Google "double NAT" for info about its potential pitfalls.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick
lkpolovchik

Regular Contributor

• 

299 Messages

1 y ago

I have Xfinity Home with the BX6 router.  It was my understanding that Xfinity home is on a separate network thru the router. If you have that router, there are two internet ports and two phone ports. One of my internet ports goes to my sound system as it's not WiFi capable. Is that similar to what you're thinking?

CCAndrew

Diamond Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 y ago

The OP is referring to a separate Netgear router for those that either have another ISP or modem in bridge mode and have security installed
CCAndrew

Diamond Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

1 y ago

@RobertWy
The OP has yet to state their modem but since they have a security router it’s safe to assume that either they have their own modem or a different ISP. The more you know...
EG

Expert

• 

86.6K Messages

1 y ago

@RobertWy wrote:

My XB6 has an internal modem that XHome connects to.  No need for the extra modem.

I think you mean no need for the extra router not "modem" ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

New to the Community?

Start Here