Lkpolo's profile

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

Sunday, June 16th, 2024 12:31 PM

Moving from home protection pro to self protection

After almost ten years with the home security I decide to save some money and do the self protection. We had rented the touchscreen so it was handed in. We kinda miss the weather and forecast on it but that’s about it. I have two indoor cameras, two outdoors cameras and the video doorbell. Also, I have a centralite outlet controller and two Sengled Wi-Fi bulbs that we used with the previous plan. If I can add at least the light bulbs that would be good but I end up in a loop and I’m not sure of how to add the Wi-Fi bulbs to the self protection. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Linda

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

4 months ago

Greetings, @Lkpolo! I hope your week has been treating you well. Thanks so much for taking a moment out of your busy day to leave a post on our community forum about adding your WiFi bulbs to the self-protection system. You have definitely come to the right place for assistance.

I had a similar issue with a different brand of smart bulbs (TP-Link) after moving to a new home last year. Are you trying to pair your bulbs through the Xfinity app, or are you using the Sengled Home app? Most smart home devices will only work on the 2.4 GHz WiFi signal in your home, so if your app device (smartphone or tablet) is connected to your 5 GHz signal, it can create a connection loop that causes the pairing process to fail.

I wasn't able to separate my 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals because I was using WiFi Boost Pods on my network, so I had to take the bulb and my phone to a room in my house that was far away from my router. That way, my phone wouldn't automatically connect to the shorter 5 GHz signal. Once both devices were connected using 2.4 GHz WiFi, the bulb paired immediately, and I was able to move it to the room where I wanted to use it.

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

4 months ago

I have both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks. I didn’t try the sengled app. I was just wanting to keep everything narrrowed down to the Xfinity app for simplicity’s sake. I have no idea how to connect them to the xfinity app though. I also have an outlet controller but I think it may be obsolete just like the ICamera 2 now is. I ended up replacing it with an Xcamera 3 indoor camera for the living room. When the XCamera 2 in the family room stops working I’ll replace it with an indoor camera. 

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

@Lkpolo Thank you for getting back to us here! Are you able to follow these instructions to disable your 5 GHz Wi-Fi so the only active Wi-Fi band is the 2.4 GHz? Once you're able to connect your smart devices, you can enable the 5 GHz band and continue connecting to both BAU. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

493 Messages

4 months ago

I more or less gave up on trying to connect the lighting. We have just been turning on the lights when we want them on. We’ll have to get a timer for the living room when we go away. Other than that I’m happy to have the four cameras and video doorbell to self monitor and save about $50 a month on my bill.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

Lkpolo It's awesome to hear you've been happy with your service so far. We appreciate you providing your feedback. That said, I see you've run into trouble with the lights. Can I get more information on this and what you've tried so far? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here