U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, August 2nd, 2024 3:48 PM

LIVES ARE IN DANGER WITH XFINITY SMOKE DETECTOR

Has anyone been notified that the smoke detectors Xfinity sold and installed as part of home security are defective?

I bought smoke detectors as part of a package with Xfinity. After a small kitchen fire, I realized the detectors didn't work and hadn't been working for months.  A technician came and got it  working but told me they no longer sold smoke detectors so it couldn't be replaced.  I noticed last week that the smoke detectors weren't working again and made an appointment for last Monday.  I was stood up by the technician and had to spend another hour on the phone/chat to reschedule. The customer service guarantee is  laughable as you must spend an hour on the phone to try to get a $20 credit for being stood up. 

I received a call at work today asking if I was still having problems but they couldn't do anything over the phone because it is smoke detector related.  Today, I was told that Xfinity knew these detectors were poor quality/not reliable [Edited: "Language"] and that's why they quit selling them but would try to fix the existing ones .(note: I originally quoted the employee's word for the detectors - [Edited: "Language"]- and Xfinity censored my post). They said not to worry because they were looking for better detectors and someday I can (I presume) buy new ones to replace the ones that don't tell me when there is an actual fire 10 feet away.  

I specifically bought this system because I wanted smoke detection as part of my security to be alerted when I was not home.  I'm told that smoke monitoring is "free" so I get no refund for the monitoring not working. I also get no refund for the trash detectors, but these are not my biggest issues.

Xfinity KNOWS the smoke detectors they sold to people aren't reliable.  My system NEVER notified me that my detectors were off line.  I NEVER got a warning from Xfinity to discontinue use. They can't replace my defective detector.  The fact that they know these smoke detectors fail to the point that they quit selling them but gave me no notice or warning not to rely on their product is unconsionable. 

If you have smoke detectors through Xfinity PLEASE at least use a backup if you don't throw them away.  I was lucky no one was hurt in the small fire at my house. Xfinity wants your money =-- lives and property are way down the list of concerns for them.  Even though I wasted a lot of money on their system, I am going to spend more to get reliable smoke detectors and a security system with a company that I can trust.  [Edited: "Inflammatory"].

Official Employee

• 

3.7K Messages

2 months ago

user_cc7eee, Thank you for reaching out to Xfinity Support. This is not the experience we want for you. If you would like assistance, 

Please send us a direct chat message with your full name and complete service address to “Xfinity Support”. To do so, click on the chat icon located at the top right of this forum's page. 

Here's the detailed steps to direct message us: 

• Click "Sign In" if necessary 

• Click the "Direct Message” icon (upper right corner of this page) 

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon 

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list 

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window 

• Press Enter to send your message 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 months ago

Follow up:

After leaving work early on Monday for a no-show with Comcast, I rescheduled to Saturday morning between 8 and 10 am (cancelled a weekend at the lake for this).  At 9:20, I got a text that the tech was on his way and would be here shortly. At 9:21 a.m., I got a call from Comcast saying they wouldn't make it in time.  I called to find out the truth and the answer was it looks like they are on their way so I had no choice but to wait. At 9:52, the tech showed up and was very nice, but quickly realized the smoke detector was not operable and must be replaced. Even though every rep on the phone says they don't have any, the tech said there may be some at the warehouse, which is - you guessed it - closed on Saturday.  The plan is to reinstall a smoke detector that has been laying around in the warehouse (if it exists) that isn't good enough to install for new customers because they are faulty, but if they find one, it's good enough for the people who already paid for it.  (My words, not his.) So, I had to reschedule again.  I will have to leave work early and had to cancel a night from my rescheduled trip from this weekend. I asked the tech for someone to call me the day of the appointment to verify the replacement exists and that it is on the truck for my appt.  He is going to try to get that done.  I asked what plan b is if there are no smoke detectors in the warehouse.  There is no plan b.

1 Message

25 days ago

There needs to be a class-action lawsuit for this smoke detector situation. Xfinity sold people these systems with full-knowledge that when the smoke detectors failed they didn't have replacements for people. I'm so sick of Xfinity's bad service. When I call their customer support the people that answer are in another country and don't speak enough English for me to understand them. I'm dumping Xfinity and should have done it 10 years ago.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here