U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, January 31st, 2022 12:58 AM

Closed

Is there a way to turn off the night vision on my indoor/outdoor Xfinity camera??

I just got these new indoor/outdoor cameras to update my cheap Amazon ones that are several years old, but I can’t figure out how to turn off the night vision and it’s reflecting off the glass of my patio door and making it impossible to see anything. My junky, cheap camera were super easy to just turn off the night vision to get rid of that glare. Please tell me I can turn the night vision off on these??? I don’t want to go back to the cheap Amazon ones for a night vision option. 

Official Employee

• 

500 Messages

3 years ago

Hi user_2f857d -

At this time we don't offer the ability to toggle night vision on and off on our cameras. 

Oftentimes slightly repositioning the camera / angling it differently can make a big difference... I would suggest experimenting with this while it's dark out to see if a slight repositioning does the trick. 

The night vision on our cameras works great, but any camera that has night vision will have challenges if positioned in a way where the Infrared lights are bouncing off of glass and then reflecting in the lens of a camera.  This would most commonly be seen if you position a camera inside pointing through a window to record outside.

I know some folks have had luck using a little black electrical tape to cover the red IR lights that light up on the camera at night - doing this will defeat the night vision feature, but depending on the lighting in the area, you may still see a fairly decent image.

I hope that helps!

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityBecker​ I’ll try the electrical tape, but if the image is still unclear I’ll have to go back the the cheap, old ones and that’s super frustrating. I was so excited about having a more reliable camera with a sharper picture, but it’s not looking like that’s what’s going to happen now. 

Official Employee

• 

500 Messages

Please let us know how it works out for you! (hoping for the best) 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Problem Solver

• 

874 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you for reaching out over Xfinity Forums @user_2f857d. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a glare from the patio door. When the Camera's night-vision infrared (IR) is active (in low-light or nighttime situations), the IR LED can reflect off of obstructions and back into the Camera, causing a white ring effect. If you can, adjust the Camera angle and position so the Camera's field of view is clear of obstructions. You won't be able to turn off this function but you should be able to move the angle to avoid the glare. This link has a step by step guide to help with the placement (including pictures) https://comca.st/3rm4J3a. If you still need help please don't hesitate to reach out. Our team will be on standby. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@XfinityAnna​ Since the sole purpose of this camera is to record through a glass patio door repositioning the camera isn’t going to eliminate the glare. I’m super frustrated because my old, cheap camera not only had a great, clear night time picture but also had the capability to turn off the night vision. My new camera doesn’t even have the same capabilities as my old one and my picture quality is greatly diminished and useless because if this poor design. 

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

We understand your frustrations. I'll be sure to share your feedback as to why having the option to turn night vision off, may be beneficial for yourself and others. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here