WU

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, March 12th, 2022 8:49 PM

Closed

Xfinity internet speed. Equipment update warning email. Is this a scam?

I own an Xfinity compatible modem yet I've received this email no less than 4 times: 

Your current device can't keep up with the latest speeds

You recently upgraded your Xfinity Internet speed, and as a result, your Internet equipment can't keep up with the latest speeds available to you.  It's time to update your Internet equipment so you can enjoy the faster speeds you deserve. With faster download speeds, you will have a better experience as you work, learn, and stream from home.

To get the most out of your Internet, you will need to replace your current device with a compatible device that supports the speed available to you from your current Internet plan. Visit  My Device Info to find compatible devices you can purchase.

Please note that if you do not swap your Internet equipment, you will not be taking full advantage of the download speeds your Internet plan offers.

Once you receive your new device, be sure to activate your device as soon as possible so you can enjoy the faster speeds available to you.

Thank you for being an Xfinity customer.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

I own an Xfinity compatible modem ...

The link looks legitimate. It leads to https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices which will tell you whether your modem is compatible with your Internet tier, and if not, it will show you which devices are.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

6 Messages

@BruceW​ Yes, I get that.  I own a Netgear CM2050V which should be more than adequate for my plan yet I continue to get this message.  

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hello @user_145df6, thank you for reaching out to us on our community forums. As BruceW mentioned, this is a legitimate email. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? I'd like to take a deeper look at your speed tier and current modem, it sounds like the speed tier you are signed up for has recently had a speed increase.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I have gotten that email also. I’ve checked my plan speed and equipment and it’s more than compatible. Why is the email going out ?

Problem Solver

• 

785 Messages

@goldnhrt Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. I know this can be frustrating. Depending on the speeds you have will determine if you need a Docsis 3.0 or Docsis 3.1 modem. Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:

• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

200 Messages

2 years ago

I've gotten these in error too.  Any chance you upgraded your modem or changed your plan speed recently?  I did both, modem upgrade (to CM2050V) first then plan speed, so I'm not sure what caused it.  It's also possible I was getting them because it takes a while for old hardware to be removed from your account.  I upgraded from 600 to 1200, and my old modem isn't supported at 1200 but still showed up on my account for a few weeks after the upgrade.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I also keep getting this email in error have the latest surfboard mb8611 that even shows on the supported devices page. 
no changes since adding the new modem last year. 
Tried restarting all equipment in case there was a firmware update waiting to be pushed out. I still have ~1400 down and 40 up so speeds are in check.

I will chalk it up to email error for now unless there is a new tier incoming perhaps?

Contributor

• 

340 Messages

Hello  @RobobVT I'd be happy to confirm your have the latest and correct modem to support your speeds. Can you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address?

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

I no longer work for Comcast. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here