U

Sunday, May 26th, 2024 9:00 PM

Xfinity Chat asked for IMEI, Phone #, and sent iGuard link for SSN & DOB

Hi there, 

I opened an Xfinity chat via the official Xfinity website to ask about a current BOGO mobile line promo. The chat seemed normal enough ; after confirming the promo was valid for my scenario, the chat agent said he could go ahead and get this taken care of for me and to ensure I received all available promos & discounts. He then asked for the IMEI and phone #s associated with the devices I wanted to bring to Xfinity Mobile and sent an iGuard link to capture my SSN & DOB. I was suspicious of the link but after opepning it, it had my full name, address, and Xfinity account listed, and the site certificate came up as valid and secure. I provided the information requested and then the chat agent stopped responding to my messages. I then got a vm from [Edited: "Phone Number":]  ; a few minutes later I got 2 Xfinity secure codes via text message that I did NOT request. I got a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach and felt like I had possibly been scammed. 

I then immediately called 1-800-Xfinity and received a link to chat with an Xfinity agent via SMS text. He confirmed some of the information I provided to the chat agent but then continued to give me the hard sell about opening the accounts. I know that scammers are very savvy these days and still fear that my SIM card could have been compromised after providing my IMEI and phone #s and am worried I got myself mixed up in some elaborate phishing scam. Is there anyone who can verify if the SSN & DOB request was legit or if I need to start totally freaking out? Thanks in advance!

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

4 months ago

user_q16fju Thank you so much for your post on the information/process you experienced when speaking with our Xfinity mobile Sales team. I understand the concern with the process since your personal information is involved. We do have a few steps to verify your personal and account information when setting up new services or placing a new order while ensuring it stays secure. The iGuard process is what we use to help prevent your personal information from being imputed directly into the chat platform keeping your information secure. I would use a similar process on my end as well as gathering the IMEI beforehand. The IMEI would be needed for any trade-in options or if you were taking advantage of a bring-your-own-device promotion. It sounds like our team was doing all the steps needed to help ensure your information was safe with the iGuard process. If you have any concerns about your personal information at all or your IMEI you can reach out to our Customer Security assurance team by calling 1-800-Xfinity. 

2 Messages

Thank you for the prompt response. That's a BIG relief. Thanks so much!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here