U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, March 9th, 2023 2:14 AM

Closed

Wiring from Xfinity's Outside Box to my Modem

I just signed up for Xfinity internet only, no TV, they are sending a tech to install a cable to the house. I would like to know what I need to do to get from the outside cable that they are installing in to my modem. My understanding is that the cable they will install to the house is coaxial, is that correct? Will I need to extend that cable into the house and to the modem with coaxial or Ethernet cable? Anything else I need to prepare to complete the installation? I currently have ATT DSL service, but it has been down for almost a full week, so I'm switching and want to get everything ready so that I can get up and running as soon as possible.

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

1 year ago

@user_bbf78c Hello! We are excited that you decided to join the Xfinity family! The tech will make sure your home is hooked up, and the outlet into your home is working. To answer your other question, yes, the modem will be hooked up via a coax cable. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks for the prompt response! So it sounds like I just need to prepare a R6 Coax cable to run from the outside box to my indoor setup, is that all?

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

Of course, if you need anything else, please feel free to reach out to us! We are here for you. Have a good evening. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

1 year ago

Yes, but the tech will be able to help set that up during the appointment!

Contributor

• 

196 Messages

1 year ago

I recommend not having the tech run the inside cable.  Comcast's installation fee isn't high enough for them to do a nice job.  So they'll just drill a hole through your house to wherever you want the modem.  A proper job might take all day or longer.  Some properties will require drywall work and painting for a nice installation.  A proper job often involves things like fishing cable inside of walls, going through the basement, up inside a wall and out through a wall plate, etc.  If you have the required skills you should set it up yourself before the tech comes.  If not consider hiring someone.  Also have a laptop or whatever ready to test the connection where it comes into the house.  Like my line comes into my basement, so I would be ready to test in my basement.  That way you can test using only Comcast installed lines so they can't blame your interior wiring if something doesn't work.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Yes, I will take care of all interior wiring, that is what I did when we had the DSL installed years ago. I wired the entire house with Cat 5, running from the basement up into the walls of virtually every room in the house. I will now run a R6 coax outside to the closet where we keep the modem and other electronics. I feel much more secure now, thanks to everyone that has chimed in.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here