CKeeper's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Fri, Feb 26, 2021 5:00 PM

Upload speed

I increased my internet plan to the 600 mb plan which also increased the upload speed as well (supposedly). I wanted faster upload speed to upload to different cloud services. I was only getting upload speeds of 1 mb and now with even doubling my upload speed I still only get 1 to 2.7 upload to cloud services. This is ridiculous. I've contacted all services and none of them have any restrictions or caps. BUT when I run a speed test it shows I'm getting 24 upload.  Why is comcast throttling me?

Responses

ComcastStephani

Official Employee

• 

69 Messages

1 m ago

Hello, @CKeeper, and thank you for reaching out here on our forums regarding the slow upload speeds you've been experiencing. I would love the opportunity to take a closer look into what's going on with your connection. Please send a Private Message with your name and address to begin, thanks! 

To send a Private Message, please select my username ComcastStephani and then select Send a Message. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

25 d ago

2.7MB/s?

At 8 bits per MB to Mb, that would = 21.6 which is close to your 24.

Comcast refuses to post upload speeds anywhere in our profiles or when you go to buy/upgrade, because they want to avoid the conversation on why they haven't spent the money given to them on improving their infrastructure to support both upload AND download speed increases.  

They prioritize channels to downloads, so all their improvements are focused on that.  Why increase upload?

At the end of the day, they are only doing as well as they are because of natural monopolies.  Which is why local fiber ISPs are such a threat to Comcast/Spectrum, because they listen and understand, so offer a better service.

From what I can find online however, 600Mbps down gives you 15-20Mbps up - which means 2.7MB/s is 'over' what you're supposed to get, per comcast.

Sucks, doesn't it?  

Consider how little progress they've made.  When we had 30Mbps down, you could generally get 5-6Mbps up.  50Mbps 'blast' could get you closer to 10Mb, 100/10Mb was the next evolution aaaaaand, nothin.

But wait - what's all this about DOCSIS 3.1?! Isn't that what Comcast has always pushed, how they run on the 'newest' technology?  

Kinda... Remember those 30Mbps speeds were DOCSIS 2.0 - Comcast would 'rent' you a DOCSIS 2 modem to get the best speeds; ironically DOCSIS 1.0-2 had a max down of 40Mb/s - but DOCSIS 2.0 offered UPLOAD up to 30Mbps (theoretical maxes, real world was less on both down and up)

So... when they released DOCSIS 3.0, surely we get more right? Sure in theory, but Comcast doesn't play to the DOCSIS standards, instead they mostly just used the same infrastructure they already had built, and instead of adding an equal amount to both upload and download, they focus only on download.

For reference, these are the 'supported' (and theoretical - actual will be somewhat less, but not by a LOT) speeds:

DOCSIS 1 DOCSIS 1.1 DOCSIS 2 DOCSIS 3 DOCSIS 3.1 DOCSIS 4
Highlights Initial cable broadband technology, high speed internet access Added voice over IP service, gaming, streaming Higher upstream speed, capacity for symmetric services Greatly enhances capacity, channel bonding, IPv6 Capacity and efficiency progression, OFDM, wideband channel Symmetrical streaming and increased upload speeds
Downstream Capacity 40 Mbps 40 Mbps 40 Mbps 1 Gbps 10 Gbps 10 Gbps
Upstream Capacity 10 Mbps 10 Mbps 30 Mbps 200 Mbps 1-2 Gbps 6 Gbps
First Specification Issue Date 1996 1999 2001 2006 2013 2019

This is a broken approach, as more and more 'cloud' solutions (game streaming, skype/video conferencing, zooming, WFH, etc) require UPLOAD as well as download.  Yes, there will always be a greater need for download in MOST cases, but even their max Cable offerings are only 35Mb/s upload - and that's at 1Gb(1,000Mb) download speeds.  

Compare that to municipality fiber companies - here in Michigan many offer 200Mb/200Mb down/up for less than what Xfinity charges.  Even their 1Gb/1Gb or 500/500 plans are reasonable and well less than even Comcast's high end cable - and Comcast's Fiber is extremely expensive in comparison.

Comcast needs to fix their environment to provide consumers with higher upload speeds, and better support.  

Note:
Comcast has said that they have 'investigated' and claim to have found that MOST users don't even use the upload they have now.  This however is a common falsy when it comes to bandwidth monitoring even in the enterprise: they look at an overall picture but ignore the fact that MANY use cases of performance are burst.  Your video conference doesn't last (hopefully) a day - so just because over 24 hours the average utilization might have only been 2Mb upload, when you NEEDED the performance for an HD video upstream, or to quickly upload files to the cloud, backup your computer to the cloud, share a file through an application, etc - the 'max' speed is far lower than what you might need.

This becomes infinitely more important when you have multiple people in a house.

Take for example a family of 4 kids.  All 4 have their own Zoom tele-learning with video and audio streams.  Maybe one or both of the parents also is WFH and has conference calls, etc.  Suddenly even 20Mbps isn't enough.

Worse, when you use a lot of download (or upload) on Cable internet, it impacts the performance of the other.  THIS isn't true with Fiber internet, and one reason again why many small fiber companies are investing where Comcast has ignored.

I'd also like to point out that Wireless is drastically improving.  Even with a bad LTE+ signal, my verizon can smoke my Comcast on upload speeds; and on 5g it's not even close.  Then there's Space-X with their 100/100 and low sat latency... Elon is giving the middle finger from space to all these greedy Cable companies who have huge corporate salaries and lack the foresight to improve their product.

#EndRant

New to the Community?

Start Here