D

Monday, September 30th, 2024 2:33 PM

Terrible Internet Service. Terrible Customer Support. Shady Practices.

My problem: my internet connection drops once or twice an hour (sometimes more often), and the signal strength fluctuates constantly. I work from home and need a stable internet source. So, call Xfinity "customer support." It took me five times as long to fight through their person avoidance phone tree than the two-minute wait to get a person. I explained my problem...simple, right? No. "We are experiencing an outage in your area and cannot take any steps until this "outage" is resolved. Fine. I called back after their outage was supposedly fixed and finally convinced them (and it took convincing) to send a tech. The service appointment window is 1 pm to 3 pm. I am running a quick errand and get a call at 12:40 pm from the tech. Normally, I would be thrilled if they showed up earlier in their appointment window. He is very put out that I am not at the house waiting for him. Rush home to find a tech who speaks Russian and very little English. Try to explain my problem. He keeps showing me his phone and pointing at the signal strength. That's fantastic...WHEN THE INTERNET IS CONNECTED. After some quick Google translating (is this something I should have to do???), he finally replaced a connector (Where specifically, I have no idea. It wasn't in the house.) The connector was old, he said. Within 5 minutes of him leaving and logging back in, the internet dropped GRRRRR. I didn't expect a connector to fix the problem but hope springs eternal. Then I get my bill. They charged me $100 for Professional Installation! First, it might be good business practice to let your customer know you will charge them to fix THEIR problem. Second, you didn't install anything - you replaced a connector on YOUR line. So, call back again. Another nightmare of a wrestling match with their phone system and finally get routed to technical support. Technical support is a misnomer. It is an outsourced rep reading from a script. His only response was that my area was experiencing an outage. *Facepalm.* I asked if this outage was the same outage that has been causing my problem since day one? He repeated the same script line and apologized for my inconvenience. My inconvenience??? You are taking my money and not providing working internet service. Shady. So, I am still without a fully functional internet service and have no hopes of even getting a tech scheduled until this latest "outage" is fixed. This is a classic picture of how a monopoly cares for its customers. I've seen some of the responses from Xfinity in this forum. Don't bother if you are going to act like you are mystified by my irritation and equally mystified by my problem... if you bother to read the complaint, you might know what my problems are. Crazy idea...provide your customers what they pay for and quit hiding behind "outages" as an excuse not to address the real problems.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

19 days ago

Good morning doxm

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a Direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Direct Message" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears.

4 Messages

Sent as requested. Your solution to fix my problem is? When will you be removing the $100 charge from my account for sending a tech to my house to fix your problem. 

4 Messages

11 days ago

I will mark as accepted once I know the fix...fixes the problem.

Some additional questions:

Why did it take me ranting on a forum to get Xfinity to fix my problem?

Why did the first technician slap in a new connector and then bold face lie to me about putting in a new line in a new location (to eliminate possible distance issues) and the second tech diagnosed the problem and it led to replacing everything including modem? Seems you need to modify how you screen or monitor your tech's conduct and solutions.

Why did the techs installing the new line trash a section of hedge where they brought the new line in. I get it, the hedge was in the way but for them to blatantly break parts of it to get it out of the way? There are ways to move foundation plantings out of the way and not damage them. Another thought: deal with the fact the hedge is there there and WORK AROUND IT. The installation could have been done without damaging the hedge.

Official Employee

• 

528 Messages

Good evening @doxm. If you would like, we can review your account to see if we can figure out what happened. We can also pass along your feedback. If you're interested, send us a private(direct) message. 

To send a "Direct Message" ("Private") message:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "Direct Message chat" icon

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

4 Messages

There really isn't much to figure out. The bottom line is that Xfinity has identifiable (and fixable) problems dealing with customer issues. First is the infrastructure at the user end and the repair processes related to it. Second is customer support. Xfinity goes to great lengths to avoid fixing problems. Because of this avoidance, you unnecessarily force the customer to repeatedly contact Xfinity or, in my case, force customers into secondary communication channels (if they find them) to get results. Third is dishonest billing practices. Yes, you removed the charge for Professional Installation after I complained, but how many customers have paid that fee. If that billing practice is not illegal, it's most definitely unethical. From my Fortune 500 corporate career, I know that large companies are slow or reticent to respond to customer complaints. It's clear you have room for improvement. Whether you do something meaningful is now your choice. You have wasted enough of my time with this overly-complicated and frustrating experience. I will mark the problem fixed and solution accepted once I am satisfied that you have indeed corrected the issues.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here